Thread: The OP Graduation Fiasco.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

The OP Graduation Fiasco.

I don't usually venture outside the Amherst/Clarence forum, but this warrants an exception.

https://buffalonews.com/2018/06/24/o...military-sash/

Obviously, the OPSD guy, McGarrity, has elected to be the face of the graduation nonsense. I question his judgement about being the in the limelight... but it is his choice, I suppose.

Seems like the so-called "educators" in OP took action(s) that were knee-jerk and short-sighted. There were soooooo many other ways that it (or anything equivalent) could have been addressed.

If OPSD can't on-the-spot handle something like this, that - to me - is a problem. Maybe they are not as smart as they think they are.

I think it's BS what they are doing in education these days. Williamsville Schools stopped ranking the students because of 'feels' and a bunch of parents who just couldn't deal with the fact that their little Johnny or Jenny wans't the special little creature they have been talking up their entire life. OPSD removed all students from wearing anything but the basic cap and gown. So no Honor Cords, Tassels and Sashes for any student to make sure each little snowflake is viewed as being equal and Mommy and Daddy don't have to suffer through the horrors of taking pictures with Johnny or Jenny in just a regular gown when other kids have cords and tassels. It's all BS and it's making this generation weak.

That said, this kid is not in the Marine Corp. He has not completed boot camp and has not served a day in the military. The fact that this snowflake feels entited to wear something for something he has yet to do while other students don't get to wear cords, tassels and sashes on things they have already earned is a special kind of arrogance.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Totally agree with lefty.

I wonder what would have happened if a student wanted to take a stand for the LGQT community and dress as a drag queen but with the cap/gown.

Yeah, I agree that the rule is the rule. [Apparently, this issue os not unique to OP, as a quick web search turns up a lot of similar 'no sash' stuff.] I do not think that graduations are about PAST accomplishments and shouldn't recognize future endeavors. Indeed, every single graduation to which I've ever been highlights the future... in fact that is the core traditional speech that is given. OPSD is free to disregard the future of its graduates if they so desire. Their choice. I think it's a lousy choice.

I especially think that the OPSD handling of this specific incident was dreadful. They were put in a tough spot, and didn't rise to the occasion.

Wow! Talk about something that dropped off the face of news/interest in a hurry. Didn't hardly last the abbreviated news cycle.

Thread Information