Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Sabres 2018-2019 season

Leftie, it’s starting to turn. I think the pick from St. Louis is lottery protected; if they finish in the bottom 10 then it reverts to a 2020 pick giving the Sabes 2 this year and 2 in 2020. Right now St. Louie is near the cellar so the pick would revert. That may not be terrible. It would allow the Sabes to keep stocking players and maybe they can avoid the fate of the Blackhawks. After a few great years they’re struggling, saddled with huge contracts for aging players, some of whom allegedly have substance abuse issues and are selfish, spoiled and lacking in leadership and team skills. Meanwhile, the team has been forced to release younger, talented, more team oriented players, like Artemi Panarin due to financial constraints. And it seems that the poultry are coming back to nest.

They began the 2006-2007 season with a 10 game win streak. If this years group gets there when did the team last win 11 in a row? Bet it’s been awhile. Actually, to answer my own question it’s never. They’ve had 2 ten game streaks...the other was in 1984.

I’m wondering about the O’Reilly effect. When he was on Colorado they were one of the worst teams in the league. He’s traded to Buffalo and Colorado immediately improved while an already weak Buffalo team became historically bad. The Sabres trade him to St. Louis and the Sabes play their best hockey in a decade while the Blues, considered a major contender by many, fall to near the bottom of the league. And yet the guy seems to be decent hockey player. What’s up with that?

Grump,

Good point on the lottery protected. That may even be better for Buffalo as 2 1sts over 2 years spread out the cap rather than 3 1sts in a single year. I could be wrong but I don't think the 2020 pick is lottery protected...so it's possible it could be a very good pick.

It's going to be very interesting to see how the cap is managed moving forward.

Leftie, I agree, I don’t think the 2020 pick is lottery protected. And by the time 2020 picks are NHL ready Eichel and Reinhardt will be well into their careers. Weird as it sounds today, by then grooming new prospects might be in order. Don’t want to fall into the mess the Blackhawks have with Kane, Keith and Captain Serious.

oh god, four in a row bunch of goofs. so they run ten wins in a row now going backward.
    God must love stupid people; He made so many

Quote Originally Posted by grump View Post
    Leftie, I agree, I don’t think the 2020 pick is lottery protected. And by the time 2020 picks are NHL ready Eichel and Reinhardt will be well into their careers. Weird as it sounds today, by then grooming new prospects might be in order. Don’t want to fall into the mess the Blackhawks have with Kane, Keith and Captain Serious.
    Both of the picks are conditional.

The Blues pick is top 10 protected. So likely this would be pushed to 2020 but one could hope for an 11-15 type pick. The Sharks pick is also conditional. If they don't make the playoffs this year they can push to 2020 as well. While possible but unlikely, both the Blues and Sharks could push picks to 2020 and those could be the 1st pick in the draft without conditions.

Buffalo is going to give up a 3rd and a 4th this year it looks like because Sheary is on pace for 20 goals or 40 points. Which is actually wonderful because he is not on the same like as Eichel. The knock on him in Pittsburgh was he only did well when on the same line as Crosby. If Sheary can complement Mittlestadt with a smaller 1-2 to Skinner-Eichel...that's the direction you want to go. That's where teams like Toronto (Tavares+ Marner AND Matthews + Kapanen) or Tampa Bay (Stamkos + Gourde AND Piont + Kuckerov) are at. You need 2 lines that can score and a solid 3 line to kill in the current NHL.

I think the most important find this off season is a scoring right wing. You would then be looking at the top 2 lines of:

Skinner - Eichel - Reinhart
    Sheary/Thompson - Mittelstadt - Someone

What I am most excited about is that while Buffalo is still a couple of steps behind in terms of the top 2 lines from teams like Toronto, Tampa Bay, and Nashville....they are on track to have the best defensive group in the entire league. When you're looking at Ristolainen and Pilut as your #2 line next season...that's pretty scary. Especially when it's Bogo and Dahlin as the #1.

They have a ways to go but they are playing really good hockey right now and you know when they step on the ice there is a chance. And they are so young!

five in a row flyers knock out sabres 6-2 on sat afternoon. omg I think they peaked at 10 wins in a row. boo birds were out.

So what is it, 7 out of last 8 available points? Pretty good weekend picking up 3 of 4 points on the road against 2 good teams. Eichel is on 80 point pace I think and he’s putting it in the net now.

So what is it, 7 out of last 8 available points? Pretty good weekend picking up 3 of 4 points on the road against 2 good teams. Eichel is on 80 point pace I think and he’s putting it in the net now.
    Eichel is on pace for 75 assists and 109 points. Skinner is on pace for 58 goals. That's impressive.

Even more impressive is Reinhart is on pace for 79 points. Dahlin is also heating up. He had just 4 points in 12 games to start the season but then posted 10 points in 15 games in November. He's already 5 points in 7 games in December. If he holds up the November/December pace we're looking at an 18 year old rookie defensman posting 50 to 60 points! That's insaine.

Leftie, when they drafted Reinhart part of it was because of the way he thinks the game. In the Bruins game, near the end, he was out front of the Bruins with the puck and an empty net looming. A Bruin was closing on him cutting off the angle but he could’ve chipped it toward the net hoping for the empty netter. Instead, he drew the defender while staying onside and then made the drop pass to Eichel for the surer empty net goal. Is that what they mean by thinking the game?

Leftie, when they drafted Reinhart part of it was because of the way he thinks the game. In the Bruins game, near the end, he was out front of the Bruins with the puck and an empty net looming. A Bruin was closing on him cutting off the angle but he could’ve chipped it toward the net hoping for the empty netter. Instead, he drew the defender while staying onside and then made the drop pass to Eichel for the surer empty net goal. Is that what they mean by thinking the game?
    That was a pretty pass. I have never heard the term 'thinks the game' but it makes sense.

Ricks generator stops working at the sabres game the other night. But he said he is coming back. Give the next guy a chance he is like a old fart cop just can't let the job go. What gets me with people like this is they dont want to give up.. Rick you have something wrong with you your not well. Give it up enjoy your life go to fl put your sabres speedo on and walk the beach.

three in a row at home boo birds were out.

listening to the bull frog and mike scoop today on GR. Todays topic are the sabers tanking. sure looks that way Montreal moving ahead of the falling sabres now.
    . same old win 2 dump three win one dump four. not sure about the playoffs.

just put this out there. Lug head rob ray or my tie is to tight mark Kelso, which one makes the most excuses for their teams.

listening to lug head ray the other night damn everything the Sabres do wrong is an excuse with him. kelso is just as bad. my vote goes to Kelso just totally
    annoying to listen to him.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information