Thread: Drag Queen reading to children sparks controversy

Tony Fracasso - Admin

Drag Queen reading to children sparks controversy

Drag Queen reading to children sparks controversy

June is Pride month and in recognition of the LGBTQ Plus community, the Olean Public Library invited a drag queen to read to children.

During the event, local drag queen, Flo Leeta, read age appropriate books about gender identity to dozens of kids.

The event sparked protest from some members of the community, both in person and on social media. However, there were dozens of parents that were in support of the event and brought their children.
    https://www.wgrz.com/article/news/lo...y/71-566196334

So what is our opinion on this.

Parents who knew about this and countenanced it should be looked into.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    I thought it was a bit odd.

I have no issue with anyone's lifestyle. I don't think that was the best way of introducing kids to people who are gay. I can be completely wrong but the majority of people I know who are gay are not drag queens.

Why is it necessary to expose children to deviate lifestyles for any reason. They're children. Would you expose them to a heterosexual couple going at it to teach them about procreation?

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Genoobie,

You deal with children. Do you think this is the best way to introduce children to the LGBTQ Plus community?

https://www.speakupwny.com/forums/sh...ks-controversy

The kids I deal with are much older so that's not really relevant. However, parents brought their kids there and it's a free country, you don't want your kids to be exposed to this, don't bring them.
    Similarly, I'm not a religious person, but I don't go around telling people to shut down churches or mosques or temples. If I don't want an earful about fire-and-brimstone then I simply don't go. I don't see what the big deal is. Trans is a very small part of the LGBTQ+ but they seem to get a lot of airtime on account of how uptight people are.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Very small segment of the LGBTQ+ community. That is why I thought it would be odd to use as an example.

Quote Originally Posted by Genoobie View Post
    Trans is a very small part of the LGBTQ+ but they seem to get a lot of airtime on account of how uptight people are.
    It goes beyond people being uptight. There are lots of people in the LGB community that are not thrilled with the Trans 'wing' of their house and the high levels of sexual assault of lesbians. There are also people who consider it gender dysphoria and a psychiatric diagnoses. Lastly, there are some who blend transgender with gender fluid and the nonsense that there are 63 genders out there.

It's a layered and important conversation that deserves more than saying the issue is rooted in people being uptight. That mindset is why there is a divide in that community currently.

Quote Originally Posted by leftWNYbecauseofBS View Post
    It goes beyond people being uptight. There are lots of people in the LGB community that are not thrilled with the Trans 'wing' of their house and the high levels of sexual assault of lesbians. There are also people who consider it gender dysphoria and a psychiatric diagnoses. Lastly, there are some who blend transgender with gender fluid and the nonsense that there are 63 genders out there.

It's a layered and important conversation that deserves more than saying the issue is rooted in people being uptight. That mindset is why there is a divide in that community currently.
    I was referring to the counter-protesters in Olean. They are not members of the LGB community protesting the Trans people.

Wait Leftie, you mean to tell me that people in the “alternative life style” community prey upon each other? That simply can’t be the case. As we all know the only sexual predators on earth are straight white males who prey exclusively on defenseless females, many of whom wait 30 years or more to bring their accusations. If you keep reporting that people who live “alternative life styles” prey on each other I’m going to have to take refuge in a safe space.

Thread Information