Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The sinking [BN] ship

Quote Originally Posted by grump View Post
    Genoobie, you’re getting there. I’ve got you from constant references to a rocker to making references to a recliner, even if it’s the wrong brand. But baby steps, I guess. I would rather have a print news medium that makes people aware of the issues and entities that are holding the area back than one that is loaded with idiotic photos of people standing around smiling at one foolish event after another, although I’m sure they’re all very important events. As for the Prozac, I’ll pass thanks. I prefer to self medicate with John Barleycorn, though not like I did in my younger days.
    What you mean to say is "making people aware of the issues and entities..." from your lens. There's no objective measure of "holding the area back" so reporting on such a topic is absurd to begin with. Baby steps I guess. Nothing wrong with events, it's part of what makes a region...

Quote Originally Posted by WNYresident View Post
    You didn't feel that the BN seems to sugar coat what the democratic party is up to?
    In-as-much as they've got slanted editing on everything...

Buffet is giving management of 30 of the newspapers he owns to Lee Enterprises, another news publisher though BH will continue to own the papers. BN is not one of the 30, BH will maintain day to day control.

Quote Originally Posted by grump View Post
    Buffet is giving management of 30 of the newspapers he owns to Lee Enterprises, another news publisher though BH will continue to own the papers. BN is not one of the 30, BH will maintain day to day control.
    By the looks of it they are trying to consolidate the smaller papers. Lee owns 49 and will manage these 30. All look like 4th to 5th tier cities and the plan makes sense. From what I can see, the BN is the only Berkshire Hathaway publication not moving over.

I wonder if Buffet is getting ready to sell the BN. Would make sense as well. I wonder if Gannett has reached out to Buffet?

Here are the 30 moving over:

• Alabama: Dothan Eagle, Opelika-Auburn News
    • Iowa: The Daily Nonpareil in Council Bluffs
    • Nebraska: Omaha World-Herald, The Grand Island Independent, Scottsbluff Star-Herald, The North Platte Telegraph, Kearney Hub, York News-Times
    • New Jersey: The Press of Atlantic City
    • North Carolina: Winston-Salem Journal, Greensboro News & Record, The News Herald in Morganton, The McDowell News, Statesville Record and Landmark, Hickory Daily Record
    • Oklahoma: Tulsa World
    • South Carolina: The Florence Morning News
    • Texas: The Eagle in Bryan-College Station, Waco Tribune-Herald.
    • Virginia: Richmond Times-Dispatch, The Daily Progress in Charlottesville, The Roanoke Times, Bristol Herald Courier, News & Advance in Lynchburg, Martinsville Bulletin, Danville Register & Bee, The Free Lance-Star in Fredericksburg, Culpeper Star-Exponent, The News Virginian in Waynesboro.

Looks like BN is the only NY paper in the Buffett stable. Maybe he is looking to peddle it.

And in today’s edition: “Smiles at the latest drunken Chippewa brawl”, “Smiles at the site of the latest east side drive by”

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information