Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The sinking [BN] ship

The sinking [BN] ship

So a couple of former BN sports guys joined The Athletic site and started the 'Buffalo' section. https://www.bizjournals.com/buffalo/...r-bylined.html This is a paid site and absolutely going to eat into the paid premium content the BN has been trying to sell for sports coverage. This is a couple of years after Jim Heaney started his site the Investigative Post, which looks for donations and is a non-profit. Heaney is a pretty good long-form guy.

One guys who left yesterday was Tim Graham, who had a funny exchange with Mike Harrington on Twitter. https://twitter.com/ByTimGraham/stat...231067648?s=19 Now both Graham and Harrington are known for being jerks to readers on social media but Harrington is absolutely the worse of the two. It looks like Harrington wanted to jump ship but Graham is telling him to go away....so the BN is stuck with the biggest jerk of the lot.

Then today, Bruce Andriatch took a bunch of shots at Amherst, which is not even original and a bit a head-scratcher. Just what does Bruce think is the end game here. Thanks to the fine education provided by BPS, a large % of people in Buffalo can't read. So this guy thinks it's a good idea insult the largest town and a good block of what remaining subscribers the BN has? Who the hell is approving this garbage?

What's funny is the BN reminds me of the Clinton campaign. A bunch of liberal elites who expect what they have not earned from people they get great pleasure in talking down to. So how long before they have their own election night? How long before the BN no longer can keep their doors open?

I give it ~18 months.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    I'd have a subscription/buy the paper if I didn't feel like I was funding a democratic campaign flyer. Always said they shouldn't endorse candidates. You don't want to alienate the readers who support the person you are not endorsing.

http://buffalonews.com/2016/11/03/gu...rsements-vote/

"News' endorsement: Clinton’s experience and Trump’s faults leave voters with only one realistic choice"

Experience at what? Deep state corruption? Funneling money through the Clinton Foundation? Blaming a YouTube video on the embassy attack? Smashing cell phones? Deleting 33k emails? Having the FBI doing what they can do to help you and hurt Trump... and she still loss.

Leftie, Andriatch is an idiot and always has been. His writing is in variably pathetic. Let him take shots at Amherst while his editorial board continues to sing the praises of the 34th worst city in the United States. Hell, why not! We can always point out that it’s not 33rd worst. Maybe we’re already witnessing the death throes of this pathetic rag. Fingers crossed!

Quote Originally Posted by grump View Post
    Leftie, Andriatch is an idiot and always has been. His writing is in variably pathetic. Let him take shots at Amherst while his editorial board continues to sing the praises of the 34th worst city in the United States. Hell, why not! We can always point out that it’s not 33rd worst. Maybe we’re already witnessing the death throes of this pathetic rag. Fingers crossed!
    I never really paid attention but you're correct on how poor his writing is. Many of his articles are just a list of things. The quality is on par with a high school newspaper. It would be one thing, I suppose, if they had viewpoints that you didn't agree with but the quality of the writing was there but the quality of the writing and content is just horrible.

So how long do you think the BN has before it stops printing?

I’m waiting for the state legislature to adopt gambling legislation and I’ll be hoping for an over/under on the future of the shoe shine rag. I’m not really sure but my guess is it will happen abruptly. Gutting the sports dept. happened in a holiday weekend. There may be union contractual issues that need to be addressed. And Buffett, who’s a dyed in the wool Hillary supporter, might be willing to absorb losses in order to keep the anti-small business, anti- working class, pro-billionaire message flowing for awhile. Once it goes electronic only it’s just another crap site floating around in the ether.
    Last edited by grump; June 20th, 2018 at 11:35 AM.

Leftie, the decline in quality really isn’t limited to the News. As “editing” has turned into a strictly political venture the notion of quality control has gone in the dumper. Many of the “editors” are no more capable than the people whose work they purportedly “edit” and are appointed because of their decidedly political bent.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    In all honestly I would rather not see the paper fold up.

Quote Originally Posted by WNYresident View Post
    In all honestly I would rather not see the paper fold up.

When costs don't meet revenue the paper should fold. This is why it will be good for the Buffalo News to fold up. That does not mean that WNY should be left without a print newspaper. It just means it should be left without The Buffalo News.

What I see as possible is the Buffalo News shutting down and being sold for assets. Mostly the printing capabilities as one block. IP as another.

Then you have a company like Tronc or Gannett come in an put out a paper in WNY using the printing as a subcontractor and leveraging a lot of national content with a much smaller local office.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    I wonder if they go under if they would be willing to sell buffalonews.com and buffalo.com

I see they still own buffalo.com but they have the buffalo magazine running under that. It would be cool to give it to the city of Buffalo.

Quote Originally Posted by WNYresident View Post
    I wonder if they go under if they would be willing to sell buffalonews.com and buffalo.com

I see they still own buffalo.com but they have the buffalo magazine running under that. It would be cool to give it to the city of Buffalo.

I would assume those would be sold in the IP block.

Leftie, I think the last thing we need is a new press outlet that provides warmed over crappola from national outlets. We can get that ourselves online anytime. If the News fails, and I fervently hope it does, I would like to see any successor have a much deeper focus on the local issues and causes that have blighted this area in the last 50 years, eg., NFTA & it’s idiot transportation policies, ECWA & it’s revolving cast of political sluggards who collectively couldn’t change a washer, the rank, rampant corruption in the judiciary that makes this city one of the least business friendly in NYS, the teachers unions and their ongoing efforts to undermine quality education in support of a political agenda and pure greed etc etc etc. This would require independence last seen in an editorial board around here with the demise of the Courier Express.
    Last edited by grump; June 20th, 2018 at 05:50 PM.

Grump, it seems that you basically want a paper that you think is going to print things that you would potentially agree with. I have a better solution, just change your prozac dose from 20mg to 40mg and park yourself in the La-Z-boy.

Genoobie, you’re getting there. I’ve got you from constant references to a rocker to making references to a recliner, even if it’s the wrong brand. But baby steps, I guess. I would rather have a print news medium that makes people aware of the issues and entities that are holding the area back than one that is loaded with idiotic photos of people standing around smiling at one foolish event after another, although I’m sure they’re all very important events. As for the Prozac, I’ll pass thanks. I prefer to self medicate with John Barleycorn, though not like I did in my younger days.

Quote Originally Posted by Genoobie View Post
    Grump, it seems that you basically want a paper that you think is going to print things that you would potentially agree with.
    Leave it to the Buffalo Public School teacher to not be able to comprehend how someone would want a quality product and a pursuit of excellence.....

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Genoobie View Post
    Grump, it seems that you basically want a paper that you think is going to print things that you would potentially agree with. I have a better solution, just change your prozac dose from 20mg to 40mg and park yourself in the La-Z-boy.
    You didn't feel that the BN seems to sugar coat what the democratic party is up to?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information