Thread: Well this will ruffle a few feathers.... 34. Buffalo, N.Y.

Tony Fracasso - Admin

Well this will ruffle a few feathers.... 34. Buffalo, N.Y.

50 worst cities to live in

In some U.S. cities, everyday comfort and happiness is much harder to attain than in others. Quality of life is subjective, and difficult to measure. Still, there is a wide range of quantifiable factors that can impact quality of life in a given area. Affordability, safety, job market strength, quality of education, infrastructure, average commute times, air quality, and the presence of cultural attractions are just a few examples of factors that can influence overall quality of life. 24/7 Wall Street created an index with measures in eight categories -- crime, economy, education, environment, health, housing, infrastructure, and leisure -- to identify the 50 worst cities to live in. Not confined to a single region, the worst cities span the country.

Samuel Stebbins and Evan Comen, 24/7 Wall Street Published 7:53 a.m. ET June 13, 2018

Where Americans live can have a considerable impact on their quality of life. In some U.S. cities, everyday comfort and happiness is much harder to attain than in others.

Quality of life is subjective, and difficult to measure. Still, there is a wide range of quantifiable factors that can impact quality of life in a given area. Affordability, safety, job market strength, quality of education, infrastructure, average commute times, air quality, and the presence of cultural attractions are just a few examples of factors that can influence overall quality of life.

24/7 Wall St. created an index with measures in eight categories -- crime, economy, education, environment, health, housing, infrastructure, and leisure -- to identify the 50 worst cities to live in. Not confined to a single region, the worst cities span the country from the South to the Midwest and from New England to the Pacific coast.

Correction: In a previous version of this piece, due to a data processing error, the Las Vegas crime rate was reported as 2,136 per 100,000 population. In fact, the metro area's crime rate is 849.2 per 100,000 population. As a result, Las Vegas should not have been included as one of the worst cities to live in. Our list has changed order and a new metro area, Fort Smith, Arkansas has been added.

34. Buffalo, N.Y.
    Population: 256,908
    Median home value: $83,500
    Poverty rate: 30.5%
    Pct. with at least a bachelor's degree: 26.7%
    Based on a number of socioeconomic indicators, Buffalo is the worst city to live in in New York state and one of the worst in the country. Buffalo is one of just a handful of cities nationwide where the typical household earns less than $33,000 a year. The low median income is due in part to the high jobless rate. Some 6.3% of Buffalo's labor force is out of a job, above both the state unemployment rate of 4.8% and the national rate of 4.9%. The jobs market has not improved meaningfully in the western New York city in recent years. Between 2014 and 2016, city employment grew by only 0.1% compared to 3.5% total employment growth nationwide over the same period.

As is the case with most Northeastern cities on this list, Buffalo has lost residents in recent years. In the past half-decade, the city's population count declined by 1.6%, even as the U.S. population expanded by 3.7% over the same period.

[/B]https://drudgenow.com/article/?n=0&s...e-in/35909271/

WNY, I think the report was done by 24/7WSJ. Syracuse was 44, I believe. I had a guest in from out of town recently who had never been here. Took him to all the “right places”, Larkinville, medical campus, Canalside, Hertel Ave. His comments were along the lines of “how do people with dentures keep their teeth in place on Main Street” and “you sure have a lot of empty buildings here”. This was after showing the hi lites! I avoided discussion of One Empty Tower and the Statler relic. We’re fed a daily diet of horse dung about the progress here. The simple fact is that moving the medical school 20 blocks down Main Street changes little...well, it does have a fancy atrium! That counts for exactly zippo at accreditation time. It takes an outsider to really tell the true story because the insiders have a vested interest in preserving the “narrative”.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    I tend to agree with you but then I wonder if I just don't know what is really going on.

I have clients involved with downtown. They seem upbeat but then again they are on the receiving end of our tax dollars when it comes to subsidizing the medical area. Talk to any of them and all they see is growth.

Think about this. If we didn't have groups actively importing refugees to the area Erie County would have loss population. There really is no other way to state that fact.

Then I see the political groups. The BS we hear about Cuomo and crew. Hillary etc... But we have 1000's of people who support this nonsense locally and these very same people are on some of our town boards. Good example is Cheektowaga. Look at our town board. Members of the Erie County Democratic party. Our Supervisor is even a Vice Chair of the group. I was told it really doesn't mean anything. Yeah what ever. While this group has been in control just look at our town. High property taxes, nothing special to write home about and we have been losing population for years. YET we have people in town that carry petitions for these people come election time. I don't get it. Why would they do this?

They’ll see growth until the day after the flow of tax dollars stops and then they’ll be scrambling to be first one out before the hammer falls. I’d see growth too if I were being handed other people’s money by the bucketful. Again, as I said, you can’t believe the words of those vested in the narrative. It takes a cold objective eye to see what’s really up. For all the medical school job creation crap, for all the buzz over the now largely empty Canalside and all the rest, employment grew by 0.1% in the three years 2014, 2015 & 2016. That’s not 0.1% per year, that’s 0.1% in 3 years. By any responsible measure that is horrid in an economy where a city like Nashville is adding hundreds of people a month. And, oh by the way, the latest scammer to fleece NY taxpayers with the aid of Cuomo, Elon Musk announced the layoff of thousands at his bogus auto company. It remains unclear whether this will lead to spillover layoffs in his equally bogus solar panel scam.

I'm not buying it and btw, on this years list of cities people are abandoning, Buffalo not on it

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/other...ing/ss-AAylK9V
    Let me articulate this for you:
    "I'm not locked in here with them. They're locked in here with me!!"
    HipKat's Blog

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Panasonic was hiring some workers for solarcity. Personally I would like it to take off and really employee 1500 people now that the money was spent building the place.

62 counties in NY and Erie county's median income is 21st. Roughly speaking, that is about the top 1/3rd. Must mean that there is substantial wealth to offset the omnipresent poverty in Buffalo. How can a metro that is ranked among the poorest be among the wealthier counties in NYS?

Quote Originally Posted by HipKat View Post
    I'm not buying it and btw, on this years list of cities people are abandoning, Buffalo not on it

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/other...ing/ss-AAylK9V
    I know you’re not buying it. Neither are many in the local media. As I said, that’s why an objective outside eye is important. And just because Buffalo is not in the top 50 for resident flight doesn’t mean there’s no flight, just that we’re not among the 50 worst. Rochester barely missed the top 50 that’s the subject of this thread but if I lived there I wouldn’t consider it a reason to cheer.

Quote Originally Posted by Genoobie View Post
    62 counties in NY and Erie county's median income is 21st. Roughly speaking, that is about the top 1/3rd. Must mean that there is substantial wealth to offset the omnipresent poverty in Buffalo. How can a metro that is ranked among the poorest be among the wealthier counties in NYS?
    Genoobie, the report is about cities and not counties so even if there is wealth in the county to offset the city’s poverty it doesn’t change the report. And I’m sure it’s a source of satisfaction to those stuck in housing projects managed by BMHA that people outside the city are doing ok. For years it’s been recognized nationally that Buffalo is one of the poorest cities in America. That said, I’m not sure that the fact that Erie County, home to the second largest city in the state, ranks 21st in median income among 62 counties is something I’d chirp about.The study that’s the subject of this thread is national so I’m not sure a statewide comparison helps much. Given the wreckage that is the upstate economy Erie County may just be the cleanest dirty shirt in the drawer.

Somewhere in Arizona right now an idiot is probably reading this and wishing they had permission to post again

Maybe so. Wonder what Jennifer would say if she weren’t blocked. To me, blocking smacks of PC. You don’t like what someone is saying or you can’t refute it factually, run to your safe place and make the administrator stop letting that person say uncomfortable things to you. Why is Jennifer an idiot? Because she points out a few “ inconvenient truths” about our fair city? As I’ve said, outside observers are the best and most accurate commentators about what’s going on. They’re not vested in the narrative.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    I couldn't keep listening to him. Some items they were posting were true but many items they posted were factually wrong. I got tired of the constant bashing of Buffalo and the area.

Quote Originally Posted by grump View Post
    Genoobie, the report is about cities and not counties so even if there is wealth in the county to offset the city’s poverty it doesn’t change the report. And I’m sure it’s a source of satisfaction to those stuck in housing projects managed by BMHA that people outside the city are doing ok. For years it’s been recognized nationally that Buffalo is one of the poorest cities in America. That said, I’m not sure that the fact that Erie County, home to the second largest city in the state, ranks 21st in median income among 62 counties is something I’d chirp about.The study that’s the subject of this thread is national so I’m not sure a statewide comparison helps much. Given the wreckage that is the upstate economy Erie County may just be the cleanest dirty shirt in the drawer.
    There's a mistake, the income ranking is per-capita. What it demonstrates is that the wealth inequality in Erie County is probably as bad as the rest of the downstate NYC area where the Bronx has no money and is ranked among the lowest incomes while just next door in Manhattan the coffers are brimming.
    It's no mystery that people left the city in an attempt to contain poverty and crime within city limits instead of creating a programs to address and eliminate these problems. Sure enough the containment program has been a failed experiment.
    Of course it affects the report because other metro areas may or may not be surrounded by wealth.
    The stats in that article seem a bit off as well. Anyhow, most of the top ranked are post-industrial wastelands. Chalk that up to poor corporate citizenship and disinvestment. But meh. You don't really care as long as you get a soundbite in about your agenda.

Thread Information