Quote Originally Posted by grump View Post
Earlier in the thread I mentioned that I question the ability of Kulpa (or any planner for that matter) to predict future planning trends. A classic example of horrible planning that could’ve been light years worse is the Rte 33/Rte 198 mess. It is now pretty much universally recognized as a disaster that bisected and thereby weakened neighborhoods and helped expedite flight from the city. When it was first conceived it was part of a greater plan of hub and spoke expressways from downtown into the ‘burbs that would’ve carved pretty much all of Buffalo and the immediate suburbs into dozens and dozens of isolated block groups. Fortunately the funding dried up and the disaster was avoided. I’m told that the 990 and the LaSalle Expressway are vestigial appendages of the plan. At the time the planners were assuring WNY that future generations would be need and demand these interlocking expressways to move rapidly through the area. After all, they were planners and they knew future planning needs. NOT!! But, thanks to the prodigious “school desegregation” efforts of Judge Curtin & Eugene Reville and the damage wrought by NFTA and it’s stunningly failed subway, the city has been sufficiently denuded of population that one can still move rapidly through today, even on a mule.
Funny that you'd use a mule speed reference in a comment that includes the Scajaquada. And speaking of speed, do the Amherst police even give a damn about how fast people drive on 990? Seriously, why not raise the limit to 70?