Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Spare us from “planners”

Seems to me that the area with the most opportunity would be the best part of town.

Quote Originally Posted by leftWNYbecauseofBS View Post
    You can't fix stupid but you can plan for it and around it. Wouldn't moving the southbound stop to the south corner of Decatur & NFB solve the issue? Same thing with moving the one before it to where the crosswalk from Longmeadow crosses?

It seems to me the location of the stops are arbitrary.
    The stop is at the southbound corner of Dactur and NFB. As I said had she walked to the signaled intersection she would’ve ended up right at her destination without the thrill of crossing NFB at rush hour in the middle of the block. It’s impossible to plan for stupidity because stupid people are so clever. But if there’s a rhyme or reason to the placement bus stops you couldn’t prove it be me.

Just tossing this in for digestion, etc... As "bad" as NFB may be considered, I'll travel it gladly rather than - the sometimes considered it's twin - Transit Road. Even being equi-distant to the two, I will avoid Transit in favor of NFB in a heartbeat. Transit Road is the black sheep thoroughfare of the Town of Amherst, IMO.

Leftie, my bad. The stop is on the northbound side of of the intersection. I suppose to put it south of the light would require that it be moved well south so that the ass end of the bus doesn’t block Decatur. I’m not sure that moving it south of Dactur would change the behavior I saw the other day. Maybe because the stop is farther away and the desire to cross NFB doesn’t seem so immediate? But if it’s moved too far south then people will simply try to cross in the vicinity of the stop, crosswalk or not. But I bike that area and the light is by far the safest crossing in that part of the Blvd. as things currently stand. Certainly safer than plunging headlong across the Blvd. Then again this isn’t in the killing zone that has the tv station’s panties knotted in a bunch so who really cares. Actually when it comes down to it the placement of the bus stops is immaterial, the only safe place to cross a busy street is at a signaled intersection.
    Last edited by grump; June 6th, 2018 at 08:51 AM.

2358, Transit is a state road so Amherst and Clarence have to work with DOT, never any easy thing to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Member 2358 View Post
    Seems to me that the area with the most opportunity would be the best part of town.
    Opportunity does not equal results. The reason why this area has the most opportunity in the town is that it's in need of the most work and is low enough in value to make redevelopment possible.

Quote Originally Posted by grump View Post
    Leftie, my bad. The stop is on the northbound side of of the intersection. I suppose to put it south of the light would require that it be moved well south so that the ass end of the bus doesn’t block Decatur. I’m not sure that moving it south of Dactur would change the behavior I saw the other day. Maybe because the stop is farther away and the desire to cross NFB doesn’t seem so immediate? But if it’s moved too far south then people will simply try to cross in the vicinity of the stop, crosswalk or not. But I bike that area and the light is by far the safest crossing in that part of the Blvd. as things currently stand. Certainly safer than plunging headlong across the Blvd. Then again this isn’t in the killing zone that has the tv station’s panties knotted in a bunch so who really cares. Actually when it comes down to it the placement of the bus stops is immaterial, the only safe place to cross a busy street is at a signaled intersection.
    Ya, it's never going to be perfect and you can't fix stupid only work around it.

2358, Transit is a state road so Amherst and Clarence have to work with DOT, never any easy thing to do.
    Wait, just so I'm clear, both Transit *and* NFB are state, no?

Quote Originally Posted by Member 2358 View Post
    Wait, just so I'm clear, both Transit *and* NFB are state, no?
    Yep. Just pointing out that working with DOT is a bitch kitty.

Leftie, if you want to talk bus stops, there’s one nearby this area on the north side of Kenmore Ave at NFB, right in front of an empty decrepite site that used to be a Red Apple market. The owner won’t sell and town is thinking of condemning & turning it into a park. Problem is the bus stop is litter breeding ground thanks to NFTA riders who disgorge their garbage before entering and after exiting the omnibus. It prolly can’t be moved across NFB because the lanes narrow directly across the intersection. What to do, what to do!

Leftie, if you want to talk bus stops, there’s one nearby this area on the north side of Kenmore Ave at NFB, right in front of an empty decrepite site that used to be a Red Apple market. The owner won’t sell and town is thinking of condemning & turning it into a park. Problem is the bus stop is litter breeding ground thanks to NFTA riders who disgorge their garbage before entering and after exiting the omnibus. It prolly can’t be moved across NFB because the lanes narrow directly across the intersection. What to do, what to do!
    I thought the town already decided to use ED and take the land back?

Well, they voted to do it but no one knows where the $$$ is coming from to pay the just compensation or even how much that is. I understand they did this without any type of realistic appraisal of the value under eminent domain standards. But the people running the show there are boneheads, Kulpa, Bucki ( can you imagine!) and others. I don’t believe that includes the bus stop. I doubt the town can condemn an asset of a state public authority so the trash will continue to flow into our beautiful new park. My guess is that it will be pedestrian friendly so we can stroll through the detritus.

Better get started on another “plan” to deal with Chucky Cheese. Let’s see....we could empanel a group of town board members and direct them to issue rfp’s to spend $10Ok or so on consultants. Oh, and the “stakeholders”...for God’s sake don’t forget the “stakeholders”. Let’s see urban gangs would be among the ones with a “stake”, I guess. Not just a stake, but a shiv and a Gloc too. After numerous public hearings, they could issue a report. Or the board could’ve denied the amusement incense sought by Chucky and made them sue where they could’ve litigated the issues of criminality at the site. This assumes of course that the town had a competent legal staff instead of an office of file clerks.

Though there's plenty of it here, I was hoping to see even more 'mumbo jumbo' from the planners.

http://buffalonews.com/2018/06/13/pe...ational-trend/

I challenge each and every reader of this to use the phrase "road diet" at least three times today.

How about speed bumps/humps for NFB from Kenmore Ave to the county line? Awesome idea, no? You're welcome.

Aw, hell, Member 2358, I used the phrase “road diet” three times before breakfast. Nobody knows what it means, including those who use it, so you can use it anytime. Only problem with speed bumps, if you go fast enough they really don’t do much.

Earlier in the thread I mentioned that I question the ability of Kulpa (or any planner for that matter) to predict future planning trends. A classic example of horrible planning that could’ve been light years worse is the Rte 33/Rte 198 mess. It is now pretty much universally recognized as a disaster that bisected and thereby weakened neighborhoods and helped expedite flight from the city. When it was first conceived it was part of a greater plan of hub and spoke expressways from downtown into the ‘burbs that would’ve carved pretty much all of Buffalo and the immediate suburbs into dozens and dozens of isolated block groups. Fortunately the funding dried up and the disaster was avoided. I’m told that the 990 and the LaSalle Expressway are vestigial appendages of the plan. At the time the planners were assuring WNY that future generations would be need and demand these interlocking expressways to move rapidly through the area. After all, they were planners and they knew future planning needs. NOT!! But, thanks to the prodigious “school desegregation” efforts of Judge Curtin & Eugene Reville and the damage wrought by NFTA and it’s stunningly failed subway, the city has been sufficiently denuded of population that one can still move rapidly through today, even on a mule.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information