Thread: Memorial day 2018

Memorial day 2018

Today is the day to remember all those who
    gave the ultimate sacrifice for our freedoms

Have a safe holiday

Georgia L Schlager

Gorja, very appropriate! The sacrifices of those enumerated on that memorial have helped maintain this country as both beacon of freedom and opportunity to everyone and as a target for destruction of totalitarians of every stripe, foreign and domestic.

Remember not only today , but everyday, freedom is not free. It's cost is spilled in blood from the beaches of France, the jungles of the South Pacific, the cold of Korea, the swamps of Vietnam, and the sands of the Middle east. Today is about remembering those gave their youth so we can enjoy what we have today....

Not to forget the 1,733 hostile deaths from the Mexican-American War and the 385 hostile deaths from the Spanish-American War.

Ironically, Memorial (Decoration) Day was first recognized as a reaction to the American Civil War, but this impact-full illustration does not reflect the heartbreaking 360, 222 Union and the 258,000 Confederate war dead.

Pridefully sad.

Quote Originally Posted by mark blazejewski View Post
    Not to forget the 1,733 hostile deaths from the Mexican-American War and the 385 hostile deaths from the Spanish-American War.

Ironically, Memorial (Decoration) Day was first recognized as a reaction to the American Civil War, but this impact-full illustration does not reflect the heartbreaking 360, 222 Union and the 258,000 Confederate war dead.

Pridefully sad.
    Yes, I wonder why they were omitted? I had a grand uncle who fought in the Civil War and another grand uncle who fought in the Spanish-American War

Georgia L Schlager

Quote Originally Posted by gorja View Post
    Yes, I wonder why they were omitted? I had a grand uncle who fought in the Civil War and another grand uncle who fought in the Spanish-American War
    I would say that the reason is the foreign wars element, but the Revolutionary War and the Mexican and Spanish-American Wars, in opposite ways, shoot that theory Ms. Gorja.

I know the Civil War is a touchy subject now, but my Heavens, how does one neglect the bloodiest of all American wars, and one which had such a high moral and human purpose?
    Last edited by mark blazejewski; May 28th, 2018 at 12:14 PM.

Former Supervisor Fudoli and Tom's Pro Bike Shop are hosting a bike ride in support of "WNY Heroes, Inc."

Mr. Fudoli has asked that the following be shared on Face Book, but I feel it entirely appropriate to share his post with Speak Up contributors and guests:

"The Share:"

Dino Fudoli is asking for donations to Wny Heroes Inc.

In honor of this Memorial Day I would like to remind everyone to also think about those who are still serving and continue to fight to defend our freedoms to this day. In conjuction with Tom's Pro Bike shop I am hosting a bike ride to raise money for WNY Heroes Saturday July 7th. We will be leaving from Shelter 6 in Westwood Park. There will be 3 courses to choose from so you don't need to be a bicycle enthusiast to ride. There will be a 15, 30 and 50 mile course to choose from. Please share this post and help make this ride a success. More details to follow. Also if you would like to be a sponsor or donate to this great organization please message me.

Do the sponsor or donate thingy on line, or make checks payable to: "WNY Heroes Inc," and send to "WNY Heroes Inc.," 8205 Main St. Ste 1. Williamsville 14221
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by mark blazejewski; May 28th, 2018 at 07:31 PM.

Thread Information