Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Push Buffalo - Slated for GENTRIFICATION

Tony Fracasso - Admin

Push Buffalo - Slated for GENTRIFICATION

Push Buffalo - Slated for GENTRIFICATION

SLATED FOR #GENTRIFICATION: 990 Niagara St, #Buffalo NY
    Developer: PARK GROVE REALTY
    Witness #displacement in real time!!! Rents for this proposed project are $1,550-$2,150 per month. We wonder who's going to be able to afford that? Certainly not many of the people who live in that neighborhood. This project could also get a height variance from the #BuffaloGreenCode to be a much taller building. How many units of #AffordableHousing could be created in this project if #InclusionaryZoning were passed in Buffalo? How many local, #workforce, #livingwage job opportunities could be created if a Community Benefits Agreement was a part of a project like this? We'll never know the answer to these questions unless we take action!!
    Join us at the next Buffalo Zoning Board meeting which takes place this Wednesday, May 16th, starting at 2pm on the 9th floor of Buffalo City Hall.

I'm confused. There will be people who will be able to afford $1550 to $2150 for rent.

I'm assuming there are no apartments being rented at 990 Niagara so it's not like they are evicting people. Correct?

If people live in the nieghborhood why would those people already living there care what the rent would be?

Why should any apartments have rent limits set?

who sent that out?
    People who wonder if the glass is half empty or full miss the point. The glass is refillable.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    A group called Push Buffalo

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Worth reading the comments. Helps you understand where the people who may be against a project like this are coming from.

https://www.facebook.com/push.buffal...action_generic

The problem here is that Buffalo is so poor and the conversation is focused on those who rent. There are problems with that.

This project is in the 14213 zip code. In that zip code there are 11,021 houses and condos. Of which, 66% or 5,963 are rentals. So they are the majority. They also don't have a vested stake in the neighborhood like an owner does. While many are long time residents...they can leave at any time (when their lease ends).....But there are also 5,058 owners. Owners that have put their own money into the neighborhood.

The problem with Buffalo is there are too many voices like PUSH Buffalo and not enough voices for people who own. Buffalo is too focused on poor people and to the point where they will harm the middle class if needed. They will step on homeowners to ensure their little program keeps chugging along.

You can't win with these people. They bitch when no development touches their neighborhood and they bitch when it does. I honestly think the only thing that will ever make these people happy is to cover 100% of their expenses and pay them not to complain.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    You can't win with these people. They bitch when no development touches their neighborhood and they bitch when it does. I honestly think the only thing that will ever make these people happy is to cover 100% of their expenses and pay them not to complain.
    What would you propose for people who are truly disabled which limits the income they can produce?

Quote Originally Posted by WNYresident View Post
    What would you propose for people who are truly disabled which limits the income they can produce?
    There are government programs that exist to help these people by NYS. There are programs that help disabled people live in Manhattan. There is no issue in Buffalo.

By the way...going from renters to disabled people is their typical hand of cards. You blow up the BS on renters talking about owners...so they move on to disabled people. It's pity and guilt politics.

What PUSH Buffalo supporters are too stupid to realize is you can only raise the rents to the point that people will pay them. Buffalo used to have 600k residents. It has less than half now. There is way more housing than renters or owners. Might some people need to move a block or so? Yes but who freaking cares. It's called progress and rebuilding the city.

They are selling a myth to continue their con.

Don’t forget, the Green Code is shorthand for the fact that those who spread enough green get permits in the City. The developers need to get with the program and start that money spigot flowing! Permits will follow in no time!

those rents would easily pay the mortgage and taxes on a very nice house, I couldn't imagine paying that much for a place I wasn't building equity in
    Vote for freedom, not political parties.
    Politicians need to cut spending

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Some people make more than enough that 1500 to 2100 is just an expense.

Lets say you work for a local school in Erie County.

You can earn $160,000 plus have your health insurance/pension contribution paid for.

You have $160,000 gross to spend on yourself before taxes.

Say rent is $1500 a month.

$1500 X 12 = $18000 a year.

Just to round off. I don't know exactly what take home on 160k is but lets say it's 100k

100,000 - $18000 = $82,000 left to spend. I know it's difficult but I think one can manage on $82,000 or about $1576 per week.

That person doesn't have to fund their own IRA or worry about rising heath cost.

They can live in that apartment and still have $1576 left to spend every week or about $6300 a month after rent.

Maybe Push Buffalo should focus on why the cost of living in the area might be high for some.

Quote Originally Posted by sharky View Post
    those rents would easily pay the mortgage and taxes on a very nice house, I couldn't imagine paying that much for a place I wasn't building equity in
    Unless you wanted to live on the water and didn't want to be tied down to the region with a mortgage....

Quote Originally Posted by WNYresident View Post
    Some people make more than enough that 1500 to 2100 is just an expense.

Lets say you work for a local school in Erie County.

You can earn $160,000 plus have your health insurance/pension contribution paid for.

You have $160,000 gross to spend on yourself before taxes.

Say rent is $1500 a month.

$1500 X 12 = $18000 a year.

Just to round off. I don't know exactly what take home on 160k is but lets say it's 100k

100,000 - $18000 = $82,000 left to spend. I know it's difficult but I think one can manage on $82,000 or about $1576 per week.

That person doesn't have to fund their own IRA or worry about rising heath cost.

They can live in that apartment and still have $1576 left to spend every week or about $6300 a month after rent.

Maybe Push Buffalo should focus on why the cost of living in the area might be high for some.
    One problem is this area has had wages suppressed for decades which translates into our famous low cost of living. A working couple making over 150,000 a year is not that uncommon in other parts of even NYS. An individual making that much in other parts of the country and even in Erie county is completely possible working in private industry.

“Gentrification” is the polite word for reverse discrimination against white people in housing. Nothing more, nothing less.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
    One problem is this area has had wages suppressed for decades which translates into our famous low cost of living. A working couple making over 150,000 a year is not that uncommon in other parts of even NYS. An individual making that much in other parts of the country and even in Erie county is completely possible working in private industry.
    My example wasn't a working couple. That was one government employee.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by grump View Post
    “Gentrification” is the polite word for reverse discrimination against white people in housing. Nothing more, nothing less.
    How so?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information