Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Park land

Park land

A son-in-law to the Bippert family was at the work session last night.
    He was there reminding the board that his in-laws property was available for purchase.
    This 42 acre property is located at 480 Hall Rd. Highway superintendent Amatura as well as the presenter did indicate that there are wetlands on the property. At the present time, no one has an up-to-date amount of wetland acreage that is on the property. The presenter indicated that the wetlands were in the rear of the property in the wooded area

Georgia L Schlager

This Wetland delineation map was included in this week's Communications file

Georgia L Schlager

Quote Originally Posted by gorja View Post
    This Wetland delineation map was included in this week's Communications file

There is nothing definitive that indicates how many acres remain to develop or to indicate layout and/or number of fields for development.

What Town Park / playing fields

In 2009, then Supervisor Robert Giza spoke on the need for more athletic playing fields and announced a plan to build a future park complex that would initially hold seven soccer fields and two football fields. No such complex took place then or since.

The need for more athletic fields has become even more crucial and in the pursuit of finding a location for those fields we have the following taking place:

Dawson Field - $1700 spent on a study that determined the field was not developable / viable; a foregone conclusion stated by many residents at the get-go.

William / Lake Town Park - Location no longer of interest.

Hall Road location - Not feasible; wetland map two months old and should have been in the communications long before this past week’s agenda.

Broadway property (east of Bowen Road) - now being considered.

After 25 years of voluntary service on the Recreation Board James Everett resigns and submits a blistering letter of reasons for departure. Other resignations may soon follow.

WTF is going on? The silence is deafening!

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Chowaniec View Post
    What Town Park / playing fields

In 2009, then Supervisor Robert Giza spoke on the need for more athletic playing fields and announced a plan to build a future park complex that would initially hold seven soccer fields and two football fields. No such complex took place then or since.

The need for more athletic fields has become even more crucial and in the pursuit of finding a location for those fields we have the following taking place:

Dawson Field - $1700 spent on a study that determined the field was not developable / viable; a foregone conclusion stated by many residents at the get-go.

William / Lake Town Park - Location no longer of interest.

Hall Road location - Not feasible; wetland map two months old and should have been in the communications long before this past week’s agenda.

Broadway property (east of Bowen Road) - now being considered.

After 25 years of voluntary service on the Recreation Board James Everett resigns and submits a blistering letter of reasons for departure. Other resignations may soon follow.

WTF is going on? The silence is deafening!
    Oh so the determination came in on Dawson Field being not developable. So basically Matt Walters blew taxpayer money away just to get that answer. An answer Danny Amatura was qualified to render that the land was not worthy of what they had in mind. This irritates me how Matt Walters has deviated from his campaign promises....fiscal bullshi*

Broadway?????? Wait a minute, you have apartment complexes all over the place, traffic is already a mess, what are they thinking? Isn't there no other place that is a fit to accommodate a future park complex?

James Everett has resigned? Where are these letters, I would like to read them. What is that old saying, "When the cat's away the mice will play.." Lee you better get back to those Town Board meetings.....

Quote Originally Posted by shortstuff View Post
    Oh so the determination came in on Dawson Field being not developable. So basically Matt Walters blew taxpayer money away just to get that answer. An answer Danny Amatura was qualified to render that the land was not worthy of what they had in mind. This irritates me how Matt Walters has deviated from his campaign promises....fiscal bullshi*

Broadway?????? Wait a minute, you have apartment complexes all over the place, traffic is already a mess, what are they thinking? Isn't there no other place that is a fit to accommodate a future park complex?

James Everett has resigned? Where are these letters, I would like to read them. What is that old saying, "When the cat's away the mice will play.." Lee you better get back to those Town Board meetings.....

Everett's resignation letter can be found in this past week's communications - #440

Pretty scathing letter

Georgia L Schlager

Originally posted by shortstuff:
    Broadway would be a good fit. Broadway has 4 lanes. It's not a rinky dink 2-lane county road with too much traffic. IMHO.

Georgia L Schlager

It depends where it’s located gorja. Traffic on Broadway & Bowen is rough, I know I’ve been in that traffic. So where exactly is this spot in question?

That letter raises a lot of questions, what name is on the roaster that has been absent all these years?

Quote Originally Posted by shortstuff View Post
    It depends where it’s located gorja. Traffic on Broadway & Bowen is rough, I know I’ve been in that traffic. So where exactly is this spot in question?

That letter raises a lot of questions, what name is on the roaster that has been absent all these years?
    The volume of traffic and vehicular mobility at Broadway and Bowen, a four lane state road with a turning lane and signalization, is a far better condition than what exists at the proposed William / Lake Ave. site – a location along an already overburdened two-lane county road and with overburdened connecting two-lane county roads as well, and with more development along William Street.

To have a park built in the south end of Lancaster was a good concept – however, laden with myriad obstacles and apparently not deemed feasible.

If a complex were built to house but athletic fields, as has been deemed essential by the town and sporting league officials for a number of years, and if it was located off Broadway near Pavement Road, it would complement the existing fields at Westwood Park. This would be a site location much more favorable than that of William / Lake.

Regardless, the town does need more playing fields. The William / Lake project proposal was initiated by the town over a year ago and we haven’t moved the ball once inch. It is the same old same old lip service we have heard in the last 15 years.

Just build a playing field complex – anywhere, as the great majority of Lancaster town and county roads are already overburdened; and will become more so as development continues. And, when doing so hold the taxpayers harmless in picking up the tab with Recreation Filing Fees, reserves from the participating sport leagues, team fees, grants, whatever!

The town hired four employees last year (one each in four different departments) reasoning the town is growing. Hello!

As to your query on who has not been attending Recreation Committee meetings, I have no idea. Everett's resignation and the threat of others resigning in frustration as well could signal the chaos that is taking place in a department influenced by an indecisive and/or divisive authority / town board - the playing field project an example.
    Last edited by Lee Chowaniec; July 19th, 2018 at 12:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Chowaniec View Post
    The volume of traffic and vehicular mobility at Broadway and Bowen, a four lane state road with a turning lane and signalization, is a far better condition than what exists at the proposed William / Lake Ave. site – a location along an already overburdened two-lane county road and with overburdened connecting two-lane county roads as well, and with more development along William Street.

To have a park built in the south end of Lancaster was a good concept – however, laden with myriad obstacles and apparently not deemed feasible.

If a complex were built to house but athletic fields, as has been deemed essential by the town and sporting league officials for a number of years, and if it was located off Broadway near Pavement Road, it would complement the existing fields at Westwood Park. This would be a site location much more favorable than that of William / Lake.

Regardless, the town does need more playing fields. The William / Lake project proposal was initiated by the town over a year ago and we haven’t moved the ball once inch. It is the same old same old lip service we have heard in the last 15 years.

Just build a playing field complex – anywhere, as the great majority of Lancaster town and county roads are already overburdened; and will become more so as development continues. And, when doing so hold the taxpayers harmless in picking up the tab with Recreation Filing Fees, reserves from the participating sport leagues, team fees, grants, whatever!

The town hired four employees last year (one each in four different departments) reasoning the town is growing. Hello!

As to your query on who has not been attending Recreation Committee meetings, I have no idea. Everett's resignation and the threat of others resigning in frustration as well could signal the chaos that is taking place in a department influenced by an indecisive and/or divisive authority / town board - the playing field project an example.
    Thanks Lee, now Broadway & Pavement is definitely a better option. Even though the traffic is somewhat busy, it does have a better situation to handle the traffic. Near Bowen is bad. Oh and I agree - leave William Street alone, it has way too much traffic congestion for any further development.

Well, we shall see how this shakes out. I'm surprised DT posted this in the communication (his letter) if it were JC well it would have showed up years later....LOL just kidding

Originally posted by shortstuff:
    That letter raises a lot of questions, what name is on the roster that has been absent all these years?
    Looking at January, February, March, May and June's 2018 recreation Commission minutes, I'd say it's Kevin Kelleher.
    He wasn't present for those 5 meetings. Apparently, he's a slacker
    I was unable to access the April minutes.

Georgia L Schlager

Looking at January, February, March, May and June's 2018 recreation Commission minutes, I'd say it's Kevin Kelleher.
    He wasn't present for those 5 meetings. Apparently, he's a slacker
    I was unable to access the April minutes.
    I may have to retract that.
    At the January organization meeting Kevin Kelleher was appointed as a member of the Recreation Commission from January 1, 2018 - December 31, 2024

On the town's website, it has these people as members Recreation Commission Members:

James Everett
    Daniel Rinow
    David Suttell
    George Besch
    Robert Farmer

So that would mean, Robert Farmer is the only one not at the meetings and he resigned effective June 20th because meetings were held during his work hours.

Mea culpa Mr Kelleher

Georgia L Schlager

I haven't heard any updates on any soccer/lacrosse parkland acquisition

Georgia L Schlager

I haven't heard any updates on any soccer/lacrosse parkland acquisition
    No surprise here. The town does need more playing fields. The William / Lake project proposal was initiated by the town over two years ago and we haven’t moved the ball once inch. It is the same old same old lip service we have heard in the last 15 years. And the town wasted $1700 on a study to consider Depew Dawson Field's use - dumb from the get-go.

Considering the town was involved with the 2019 budget, involved in the new refuse contract negotiations, involved in the union contract negotiations, bonding big bucks for infrastructure projects and embroiled in the DCO debacle, the playing field project will be on the back burner for quite some time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information