Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is this true about the volunteer departments?

Tony Fracasso - Admin

Is this true about the volunteer departments?

like this https://youtu.be/rNbTPF1yZWo
    PS City of Chandler has 11 Fire Trucks including 2 Ladder Trucks for a population of 254,000, vs Cheektowaga has over 100 Fire Trucks including 9 Ladder Trucks for a population 65,000, That's about 20 times duplication & waste
    Is this true about the volunteer departments?

Per the town website, these are the departments:

Pine Hill
    Doyle #1
    Doyle #2
    U-Crest
    Cleve-Hill
    South Line
    Hy-View
    Bellevue
    Forks
    Sloan Active Hose
    Rescue Hose

That's 11 companies, to have over 100 trucks each company would have to have 9-10 pieces of apparatus, and I don't believe any of them have more than 6.

Cleve Hill has 3 engines, 1 heavy rescue and 1 ladder
    Forks has 2 engines, 1 heavy rescue and 1 ladder
    Hy-View has 3 engines and a retired ladder
    Sloan has 3 engines
    South Line has 3 engines, 1 ladder truck, 1 heavy rescue and 2 light rescues
    U-Crest has 3 engines, 2 heavy rescues and a ladder.
    Rescue has 2 engines and a heavy rescue
    Doyle 2 appears to have an engine and a heavy rescue
    Bellevue appears to have 3 engines, a heavy rescue and a ladder
    Couldn't find info on Pine Hill or Doyle 1's apparatus

Of the ones I could count, that's 38 pieces of apparatus (5 ladders, not 9), not including utility vehicles, chief vehicles, UTV's, etc.

Absolutely shocking that Jennifer 7 would exaggerate on that.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    How many should we have? OR any town have?

Does Erie County track how many fires happen in the county each year including the towns?

I'm not saying there are too many or too few. I'd just like to know why we have what we have.

Fire in the United States
    In 2016, there were 1,342,000 fires reported in the United States. These fires caused 3,390 civilian deaths, 14,650 civilian injuries, and $10.6 billion in property damage.

475,500 were structure fires, causing 2,950 civilian deaths, 12,775 civilian injuries, and $7.9 billion in property damage.
    173,000 were vehicle fires, causing 280 civilian fire deaths, 1,075 civilian fire injuries, and $933 million in property damage.
    662,500 were outside and other fires, causing 85 civilian fire deaths, 650 civilian fire injuries, and $1.4 billion in property damage.

https://www.nfpa.org/news-and-resear...ires-in-the-us

Quote Originally Posted by WNYresident View Post
    How many should we have? OR any town have?

Does Erie County track how many fires happen in the county each year including the towns?

I'm not saying there are too many or too few. I'd just like to know why we have what we have.

https://www.nfpa.org/news-and-resear...ires-in-the-us
    If your house is engulfed with flames, do you want to wait for your volunteer fire department to call for mutual aid from other departments farther distance away because you want to limit the amount of fire engines they have?

Georgia L Schlager

Quote Originally Posted by Neubs24 View Post
    Cleve Hill has 3 engines, 1 heavy rescue and 1 ladder
    Forks has 2 engines, 1 heavy rescue and 1 ladder
    Hy-View has 3 engines and a retired ladder
    Sloan has 3 engines
    South Line has 3 engines, 1 ladder truck, 1 heavy rescue and 2 light rescues
    U-Crest has 3 engines, 2 heavy rescues and a ladder.
    Rescue has 2 engines and a heavy rescue
    Doyle 2 appears to have an engine and a heavy rescue
    Bellevue appears to have 3 engines, a heavy rescue and a ladder
    Couldn't find info on Pine Hill or Doyle 1's apparatus

Of the ones I could count, that's 38 pieces of apparatus (5 ladders, not 9), not including utility vehicles, chief vehicles, UTV's, etc.

Absolutely shocking that Jennifer 7 would exaggerate on that.
    You’re off by a few at some of the companies , there are 8 ladder trucks in town, only Sloan, Rescue and Doyle 2 are without

Quote Originally Posted by gorja View Post
    If your house is engulfed with flames, do you want to wait for your volunteer fire department to call for mutual aid from other departments farther distance away because you want to limit the amount of fire engines they have?
    It’s not about the equipment, it’s the manpower. Most fire depts can’t man the trucks they have on any given day, if they do have the manpower, the issue then is how many of the responders are certified to wear an air pack vs how many that can’t along with the 70 and 80 yr olds that can’t contribute as much as they used to.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Roman View Post
    It’s not about the equipment, it’s the manpower. Most fire depts can’t man the trucks they have on any given day, if they do have the manpower, the issue then is how many of the responders are certified to wear an air pack vs how many that can’t along with the 70 and 80 yr olds that can’t contribute as much as they used to.
    And if younger people do not volunteer and train in greater numbers the cost of equipment will be the least of your worries, salaries and pensions will come for a paid service.
    “We in America do not have government by the majority. We have government by the majority who participate.” ― Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by dtwarren View Post
    And if younger people do not volunteer and train in greater numbers the cost of equipment will be the least of your worries, salaries and pensions will come for a paid service.

The demands of training for new firefighters has turned this into a paid or at least a partial paid venture. Maybe it’s about time the suburbs got serious about ems and fire protection.

Of course not. There should be a fire company right next to each residence so that each of us has his own fire company to call. After all, we’re all special in our own unique way!

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Then let us put a small fire hall on each street with equipment if we use that logic.

Quote Originally Posted by WNYresident View Post
    Then let us put a small fire hall on each street with equipment if we use that logic.
    Aren't part of your homeowner's insurance rates derived by your proximity to a fire department and fire hydrant and other factors regarding protection?

Georgia L Schlager

You’re off by a few at some of the companies , there are 8 ladder trucks in town, only Sloan, Rescue and Doyle 2 are without
    7 ladders - Hy-View's ladder is retired (no replacement mentioned on website) so I subtracted that from the count, and I stated that I couldn't find info on Doyle 1 and Pine Hill. All my other info was from what each dept posted on their page, some posted only pictures so I had to guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Neubs24 View Post
    7 ladders - Hy-View's ladder is retired (no replacement mentioned on website) so I subtracted that from the count, and I stated that I couldn't find info on Doyle 1 and Pine Hill. All my other info was from what each dept posted on their page, some posted only pictures so I had to guess.
    Hy view got a new one, million dollars

Hy view got a new one, million dollars
    Southline is supposed to be getting 2 new pumpers, I saw a picture online of one being built a coupe weeks ago not sure if it was a current pic or if they have received the trucks yet.

One Old truck went to River road fire dept for daily use last summer. Makes you wonder why it is good enough for them but not good enough for Southline fired dept.?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information