Thread: Lancaster legislator John Bruso do the right thing for taxpayers! Be brave!

Lancaster legislator John Bruso do the right thing for taxpayers! Be brave!

Water Authority commissioners agree to regularly report to Legislature

By Sandra Tan | Published | Updated

After weeks of bruising headlines, Erie County Water Authority commissioners appeared before the County Legislature last week and handed out glossy, 30-page booklets with color charts to make their case the authority is fine just the way it is.
    Legislators listened politely. But unlike previous meetings, their flattery of the Water Authority was more muted and criticism more pointed. In between a smattering of praise for the authority's efforts to modernize and control rates, most legislators repeatedly requested that the authority board and executive director regularly report to the Legislature.
    "If you are coming in here talking to us as a legislative body in the manner that you are, I'm concerned that you are not hearing us," said Legislator Barbara Miller-Williams, D-Buffalo. "You certainly aren't hearing the constituents."
    Ultimately, the three commissioners agreed to appear before the Legislature as needed in an effort to become more accountable and transparent. Legislators discussed possibly meeting monthly or quarterly but did not settle on a firm time frame.
    The Water Authority routinely endures runs of bad publicity because of the agency's longstanding practice of giving top administrative jobs to big political donors, both Republican and Democrat.
    [COLOR=#777777 !important]ADVERTISEMENT[/COLOR]

The Buffalo News reported last month that the Republican commissioners at the Erie County Water Authority gave their Republican-appointed Executive Director Earl L. Jann Jr. a three-year contract after it became clear Democrats would take control of the agency later this year. The pact guarantees Jann his full salary through 2020 if fired without cause.
    :2296131" data-desktop-style="style1" style="box-sizing: border-box; background-color: rgb(214, 214, 214); height: 560px; width: 283px;">ERIE COUNTY WATER AUTHORITY
    CARNEY APPOINTED TO WATER AUTHORITY IN 10-1 VOTE

Water Authority candidate withdraws, citing 'highly political' setup
    Lawmakers may impose 90-day freeze on Water Authority appointment
    Legislators summon Water Authority officials to get answers
    New golden parachute protects Water Authority boss

That set off the latest round of public outrage regarding the golden parachute arrangement that makes Jann, a political appointee, too expensive to fire. Legislators responded by asking authority leaders to show up and explain themselves. Commissioners came prepared to defend their management structure, executive director, safe water and water rates.
    "Gentlemen, I know there is a difference of opinion," said Legislator Thomas Loughran, D-Amherst, after nearly an hour of back and forth. "But I think the bottom line is, you're not going to reform yourself. If there's going to be reform, it's going to come from the outside."
    Other legislators were far gentler in their questioning, though less deferential than in the past. When Chairman Robert Anderson asked if he could make some opening remarks, Government Affairs Committee Chairman Patrick Burke, D-Buffalo, said he'd rather make some of his own remarks first.
    "We've all read The Buffalo News over the last several weeks, and the public has demanded accountability," he said.
    Then he opened the floor for questions.
    As usual, most legislators gingerly walked the fine line between demanding agency reform, distancing themselves from the state-controlled agency and keeping peace with local party bosses who benefit from a system that rewards party loyalists with Water Authority jobs.
    Minority Leader Joseph Lorigo, C-West Seneca, said it wasn't the Legislature's duty to police the Erie County Water Authority, which answers to the state. He also suggested it would be best if the authority removed the words "Erie County" from its name.
    "What bothers me, and what bothers a lot of other people and why it keeps coming up in the news, is the reputation the Water Authority has of being a patronage pit," said Legislator Kevin Hardwick, R-City of Tonawanda. "The allegation of the golden parachute is troublesome for a number of us."
    Anderson objected to the term "golden parachute" to describe Jann's employment contract – even though the definition of the business term refers to contracts that guarantee pay for an executive even if the individual is fired, which is what Jann received.
    The chairman also offered a vocal defense of the decision to extend a three-year employment contract to Executive Director Earl Jann in the interests of "stability and continuity."
    "You can't just fire him willy nilly," Anderson said.
    The contract terms guarantee Jann his full pay for three years if he is fired before his contract expires, he said.
    "We want to see him be here three years," Anderson said. "If he screws up, like anybody else with any other employment contract, it's called 'just cause.' Fire him. He gets nothing."
    Anderson also defended the 1949 state legislation that permits public authorities to operate without local government oversight or influence so that it can provide services "like a private business." He and the authority's two other commissioners, Republican Karl Simmeth Jr. and Democrat Jerome Schad, praised Jann's management experience and oversight of new programs.
    Loughran was most vocal in his criticism of the authority. He asked the three commissioners if any of them would deny they were seated with the blessings of their political party chairmen.
    Silence followed.
    He also directed questions to Simmeth, saying that before Simmeth was appointed commissioner last year, Loughran had asked him to seriously consider a proposal that would close loopholes in the job description of the executive director. The change would make it difficult for the authority to hire someone without business or utility management credentials in the future.
    "We discussed it, but it went nowhere," Simmeth said.
    "There's a lot of good things going on over there," he said. "I just don't see where we want to change stuff just to change things. I think things are running pretty smooth there now."
    The report distributed by authority officials indicated the agency employs fewer people than a decade ago despite a growing customer base. It has paid down debt. The authority also charges customers less for water than other municipal water authorities in upstate New York except for Monroe County, even though charges have risen in recent years.
    Hardwick and Legislator Edward Rath III, R-Amherst, praised the authority's efforts to make improvements while keeping water charges reasonable and said it might be easier to defend the authority when they start receiving more regular reports about the authority's work.
    But other legislators also expressed disappointment with the authority commissioners' insistence on defending everything the way it exists now.
    Miller-Williams followed by saying the defensive tone adopted by authority commissioners was far more evident than their willingness to hear concerns or consider suggestions about how the agency could be better.
    "As I sit here today and I observe the conversation, the demeanor, the responses, now I get it. I understand," she said. "We have a problem at the Erie County Water Authority."

Click to see the comments

Democrats hired family and friends!!!!
    How's this for waste?
    Don Esmonde wrote in a July 23, 2016 Buffalo News article-
    As reported by my News colleagues, 19 Water Authority executives annually pocket more than $100,000. Among the over-compensated is ex-county legislator Terrence McCracken ($112,315), director of employee relations. Not to be confused with Mike Lewkowicz ($105,545), coordinator of employee relations. Or Dan NeMoyer ($115,475), director of Human Resources. If it sounds like three guys do the same job, well, they do. hould also see this .

John Bruso difficult decisions call for a strong leader. Will you represent the taxpayers? Will you continue to give in to your political handlers as BOTH parties have sheepishly done in the past. BE BRAVE John!

Both sides have always sucked on fixing this problem, from Bellanca and Crangle, to Zellner and Langworthy; and, from Rath to Poloncarz, it has been, and remains, nothing short of legal larceny against the taxpayers.

On Sunday, I listened to Stefan Mychajliw, who said that to privatize this thing would be a very heavy lift. According to the County Comptroller, a private entity would be required to immediately dump 113 million dollars into a takeover, and that amount just to cover inherited liabilities. It is unclear to me if that number excludes satisfying pension and retirement liabilities, or if those costs would be a further assumed liability by the private company. I am also unclear if the county/state, perhaps, would continue to remain responsible for the pension and retirement costs.

In any event, the private thingy does not seem practical, at least immediately.

It seems to me that the most expeditious, practical, and effective way to fix the Water Authority, is to cleanse it from the bi-partisan, revolving door, patronage virus, lest it remain the proverbial "burdensome patronage stone" around the necks of the taxpayers.

Both sides need to step up to, and not shout-out about, the problem.
    Last edited by mark blazejewski; March 27th, 2018 at 02:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mark blazejewski View Post
    Both sides have always sucked on fixing this problem, from Bellanca and Crangle, to Zellner and Langworthy; and, from Rath to Poloncarz, it has been, and remains, nothing short of legal larceny against the taxpayers.

On Sunday, I listened to Stefan Mychajliw, who said that to privatize this thing would be a very heavy lift. According to the County Comptroller, a private entity would be required to immediately dump 113 million dollars into a takeover, and that amount just to cover inherited liabilities. It is unclear to me if that number excludes satisfying pension and retirement liabilities, or if those costs would be a further assumed liability by the private company. I am also unclear if the county/state, perhaps, would continue to remain responsible for the pension and retirement costs.

In any event, the private thingy does not seem practical, at least immediately.

It seems to me that the most expeditious, practical, and effective way to fix the Water Authority, is to cleanse it from the bi-partisan, revolving door, patronage virus, lest it remain the proverbial "burdensome patronage stone" around the necks of the taxpayers.

Both sides need to step up to, and not shout-out about, the problem.
    Here is the link to the Sunday, March 25, 2018 "Hardline" interview with Stefan Mychajliw:

http://www.wben.com/media/audio-chan...efan-mychajliw

Thread Information