Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Legislator John Bruso is out of touch !

Legislator John Bruso is out of touch !

Civic engagement makes for informed communities

JOHN BRUSO
    Erie County New York State Senator Legislator

I spent 30 years working at United Parcel Service, beginning as a delivery driver and advancing through the ranks of management. The basis of my success was my willingness to consider ideas and solutions from everyone on my team.
    I bring this same commitment to my role as your county legislator. Over the course of the past month, I have continued my listening tour of the district, engaged with active citizens and voted to support funding to make senior transportation more responsive to their needs.
    I was pleased to sit down this month with active citizens Frank Maddock, Lee Chowaniec and Mary St. Mary. Longtime civic watchdogs, Maddock and Chowaniec have been focused on ways to improve local government and infrastructure in Lancaster, and I appreciated their insights.
    St. Mary is committed to bringing a dog park to our region, and we discussed the possibility of dedicating a section of Como Lake Park for that purpose.
    The Dick Urban Community Association, or DUCA, does an impressive job of making government more accessible.
    It brings citizens and elected officials together on a monthly basis.
    The people of Cheektowaga are among the most active and informed voters in our region, due in large measure to the good work of Justin Young and the other members of DUCA.
    I thank them for the opportunity to discuss my legislative agenda and to listen to the concerns of community members at their February meeting. I attended the Cheektowaga Chamber of Commerce Legislative Roundtable and met with John Chmarney, president of the Lancaster Chamber of Commerce, in order to learn about issues important to the business community in the 8th Legislative District.

For anyone unfamiliar, the Going Places Transportation Program is a service for adults 60 years and older in Erie
    County.
    The curb-to-curb van service is available to seniors who, for whatever reason, do not have access to conventional transportation such as car or bus.
    Seniors call the dispatch two weeks ahead and schedule rides to doctor’s appointments, grocery shopping and other important activities. Last month, as chairman of the health and human services committee, I, along with the rest of the members of the Erie County Legislature, approved a new contract for dispatching software for Going Places Transportation.
    Timothy Hogues, commissioner of Erie County Senior Services, explained that the upgrade of the software will help Going Places dispatch to be more organized and responsive to last-minute patron requests and allow greater efficiencies in scheduling and route planning.
    I’m excited and eager to see how the changes make the lives of the seniors in District 8 better.
    As always, you can find me at my district office, located at 5135 Transit Road in the Village of Depew.
    You can reach me at john.bruso@erie.gov or 681-2071.

Greg Sojka: I was pleased to sit down this month with active citizens Frank Maddock, Lee Chowaniec and Mary St. Mary. Longtime civic watchdogs, Maddock and Chowaniec have been focused on ways to improve local government...
    Mr. Bruso certainly appears to be collecting ideas from some rather distinguished citizens. He certainly is well served with Lee's always thoughtful input.

However, to the best of my knowledge, to date, Mr. Bruso's tour itinerary apparently has not included my area of the Village of Lancaster which was formerly styled the "Second Ward." Had my area been so included, he would have been advised of what appears to be, a rather ugly rampage of home break-ins and other criminal activity. There were at least two incidents on my street in recent weeks, and a further such incident on my street, apparently last night.

Furthermore, since last fall, a number of additional home break-ins were reported on my block, and on neighboring blocks.

I have made several postings on this and other forums, including "Next Door," advising of this issue, and had done so in real time. Therefore, this Thread offers me a timely opportunity to sound the alarm once again. Frankly, I have been disappointed in both the leadership of the village and town in addressing this issue in such a way as to overtly assuage the concerns of those in my neighborhood.

While I fully understand that this issue does not directly concern his mandated duties as County Legislator, Mr. Bruso undoubtedly knows that the primary function of all government is the security and safety of its citizens. In that connection, I beg that he indulge my request that he extend his mandated duties to include the facilitation of a timely and serious conversation of, and possible remedies for, these urgent circumstances. (I do know that in the past, Legislators Morton and Konst were both rather helpful in local neighborhood issues.)

Ergo,I believe that Mr. Bruso's seemingly well-intentioned "tour" should, if it has not already, include those streets and homes impacted by this criminal behavior. Perhaps, with a sense of urgency, he could then use his good offices to bring to the attention of the "more local" officials, the extent of the concern of the citizens who elected him County Legislator, and to apply his insights, skills, and talents to have our "more local" government more effectively remedy this problem.

Again, I reassert, that I do know that in the past, that Legislators Morton and Konst were both rather helpful in local neighborhood issues.

In other words, I wish Mr. Bruso would lean on Mayor Schroeder and Supervisor Coleman PLEASE!
    Last edited by mark blazejewski; March 24th, 2018 at 11:01 PM.

I think it's great that Bruso is out there working with Amatura regarding the roads.
    Maybe, the town and county will reach some kind of agreement to address the mess that Pleasantview
    is east of Harris Hill Rd.

I'm glad to see that Legislator Bruso is staying 'IN TOUCH'
    with the residents and local government representatives.

Georgia L Schlager

John Bruso IN TOUCH ? With his appointed buddies at the Erie County Water Authority? The appointed director of Erie County social services who was fired and arrested for rape of an employee? Sexual harassment lawsuits covered up and paid for with our taxpayer money? John Bruso checks the pulse of Lancaster by speaking with Lee Chowaniac. Lee was it a home visit? ***** John Bruso I will give you credit for having your helpers attend the Lancaster town board meetings. I have rarely seen it done in the past except at election time. I hope it continues.

[QUOTE=Greg Sojka;1791288]

John Bruso IN TOUCH ? With his appointed buddies at the Erie County Water Authority? The appointed director of Erie County social services who was fired and arrested for rape of an employee? Sexual harassment lawsuits covered up and paid for with our taxpayer money?
    Thank you for finally giving some reason for the enigmatic cut-and-paste March 15 Lancaster Bee Bruso post. How you can take Bruso’s post and make it into something as far-fetched as the claims you just posted is illogical in my opinion – but then again as stated by you numerous time in the past, ‘I am irrelevant’.

John Bruso checks the pulse of Lancaster by speaking with Lee Chowaniac. Lee was it a home visit? *****
    No, we met at Frosty’s and he bought me an ice cream. Like Dr. Vallely he knows my weakness.

John Bruso I will give you credit for having your helpers attend the Lancaster town board meetings. I have rarely seen it done in the past except at election time. I hope it continues.
    Me too!

Quote Originally Posted by gorja View Post
    I'm glad to see that Legislator Bruso is staying 'IN TOUCH'with the residents and local government representatives.
    Gorja, Mr. Bruso has been in office under four months. I certainly can not blame him for the collective ills that confront his constituency, nor for what is seemingly the rather back-burner approach by the incumbent powers-that-be .

However, his local peers, when it comes to addressing the concerns of some less high-profile citizens, seem to me to be dismissive, detached, condescending, and at times, downright rude. Perhaps, as I previously stated, perhaps, in the traditions of Morton and Konst, he can use his good offices to sound a wake-up call to his local colleagues, that such behavior is unacceptable.

I really wish that some of those powers, and I am NOT referring to Legislator Bruso, would attach to criminal activity, the same level of concern that they improperly attached to a citizens' FOIL, and act with the same panic-based dispatch. It would be refreshing indeed if the local leadership would intimidate criminals as effectively as the do their taxpaying, law-abiding citizens.

However, in this situation, it seems that the reaction time to the problem is akin to a timely delay of proceeds to the Food Pantry.

Just sayin'.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by mark blazejewski; March 25th, 2018 at 10:13 AM.

Originally posted by Greg Sojka:
    John Bruso I will give you credit for having your helpers attend the Lancaster town board meetings.
    Yes, he attended the last town board meeting himself. Monica Wallace had a rep there. Apparently, she was not able to show her face after her vote for full term abortion.

Georgia L Schlager

Quote Originally Posted by [QUOTE
    gorja;1791355]Yes, he attended the last town board meeting himself. Monica Wallace had a rep there. Apparently, she was not able to show her face after her vote for full term abortion.

I just wonder how many of Monica's elected supporters on the Council and in the gallery, support her vote on 1748, or share her view politically?

That is not a guilt by association suggestion. That, in my world, is a valid question regarding a leader's specific temperament regarding a highly moral issue, that goes to the heart of his/her overall legislative philosophy and moral character.

While I am fully aware that Town Council members and County Legislators do not truly impact the issue, I feel it is a question of personal values and character.

MANY faith-based citizens and voters entrust their future to the entire personae, not to just one, incomplete side of a candidate, which gratuitously limits voter knowledge to positions on select, cherry-picked issues. They have a right to know "the rest of the story," IMHO.
    Last edited by mark blazejewski; March 25th, 2018 at 05:27 PM.

[QUOTE=Lee Chowaniec;1791318]
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Sojka View Post

Thank you for finally giving some reason for the enigmatic cut-and-paste March 15 Lancaster Bee Bruso post. How you can take Bruso’s post and make it into something as far-fetched as the claims you just posted is illogical in my opinion – but then again as stated by you numerous time in the past, ‘I am irrelevant’.

No, we met at Frosty’s and he bought me an ice cream. Like Dr. Vallely he knows my weakness.

Me too!
    Maybe someone is just GREEN with ENVY that Legislator Bruso didn't give the Super Gadfly an invite to the meeting.

Georgia L Schlager

[QUOTE=gorja;1791436]
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee Chowaniec View Post

Maybe someone is just GREEN with ENVY that Legislator Bruso didn't give the Super Gadfly an invite to the meeting.
    I do like the idea of the "listening tour," provided that tour seriously considers the voices of the lower-profile, more covertly active citizens. The more Mr. Bruso learns of the diverse perspectives and concerns of his constituents, the better the 5th District will be served, so perhaps Greg's voice would be worthy of consideration.

Personally, I would like to hear Mr. Bruso's views on ethics reform. I wonder if he would be inclined to view Russ Sugg's proposal on "citizen-based" ethics reform, I'd like that very much.

[QUOTE=mark blazejewski;1791449]
    Quote Originally Posted by gorja View Post

I do like the idea of the "listening tour," provided that tour seriously considers the voices of the lower-profile, more covertly active citizens. The more Mr. Bruso learns of the diverse perspectives and concerns of his constituents, the better the 5th District will be served, so perhaps Greg's voice would be worthy of consideration.

Personally, I would like to hear Mr. Bruso's views on ethics reform. I wonder if he would be inclined to view Russ Sugg's proposal on "citizen-based" ethics reform, I'd like that very much.
    First off Mark, I did not post: “Maybe someone is just GREEN with ENVY that Legislator Bruso didn't give the Super Gadfly an invite to the meeting.” Gorga did. I did LMAO!

Secondly, Greg did speak with Mr. Bruso so his voice was heard.

Lastly, Bruso can’t reach out to everyone so if someone wants his voice heard let them contact him – an easy thing to do. It wasn’t too often in my 18 years of attending board meetings regularly that any politico took the time after being elected to reach out to me for my opinion.

[QUOTE=Lee Chowaniec;1791465]
    Quote Originally Posted by mark blazejewski View Post

First off Mark, I did not post: “Maybe someone is just GREEN with ENVY that Legislator Bruso didn't give the Super Gadfly an invite to the meeting.” Gorga did. I did LMAO!

Secondly, Greg did speak with Mr. Bruso so his voice was heard.

Lastly, Bruso can’t reach out to everyone so if someone wants his voice heard let them contact him – an easy thing to do. It wasn’t too often in my 18 years of attending board meetings regularly that any politico took the time after being elected to reach out to me for my opinion.
    I just reacted to what was posted. Personally, I do not know who Greg has talked to. My observation and position is simply that the better an elected official, especially a newbee, knows about his constituents and district, the better it is for the general welfare of the district. As I say, it seems that it was/is Bruso's idea to reach-out with a walking tour, and as I say, I like that idea, so commendation seems appropriate on that issue.

This forum is a channel for reaching out. I choose to exploit this forum for that purpose. That is also one reason why my hat is off to Matt Walter.
    Last edited by mark blazejewski; March 26th, 2018 at 10:35 AM.

Mr. Bruso certainly appears to be collecting ideas from some rather distinguished citizens. He certainly is well served with Lee's always thoughtful input.

However, to the best of my knowledge, to date, Mr. Bruso's tour itinerary apparently has not included my area of the Village of Lancaster which was formerly styled the "Second Ward." Had my area been so included, he would have been advised of what appears to be, a rather ugly rampage of home break-ins and other criminal activity. There were at least two incidents on my street in recent weeks, and a further such incident on my street, apparently last night.

Furthermore, since last fall, a number of additional home break-ins were reported on my block, and on neighboring blocks.

I have made several postings on this and other forums, including "Next Door," advising of this issue, and had done so in real time. Therefore, this Thread offers me a timely opportunity to sound the alarm once again. Frankly, I have been disappointed in both the leadership of the village and town in addressing this issue in such a way as to overtly assuage the concerns of those in my neighborhood.

While I fully understand that this issue does not directly concern his mandated duties as County Legislator, Mr. Bruso undoubtedly knows that the primary function of all government is the security and safety of its citizens. In that connection, I beg that he indulge my request that he extend his mandated duties to include the facilitation of a timely and serious conversation of, and possible remedies for, these urgent circumstances. (I do know that in the past, Legislators Morton and Konst were both rather helpful in local neighborhood issues.)

Ergo,I believe that Mr. Bruso's seemingly well-intentioned "tour" should, if it has not already, include those streets and homes impacted by this criminal behavior. Perhaps, with a sense of urgency, he could then use his good offices to bring to the attention of the "more local" officials, the extent of the concern of the citizens who elected him County Legislator, and to apply his insights, skills, and talents to have our "more local" government more effectively remedy this problem.

Again, I reassert, that I do know that in the past, that Legislators Morton and Konst were both rather helpful in local neighborhood issues.

In other words, I wish Mr. Bruso would lean on Mayor Schroeder and Supervisor Coleman PLEASE!
    Mark,

I am concerned about the activity that is occurring in your neighborhood. Your politicians should be as well. With the new additional officers hired in Lancaster, they should let their presence be known in the area of concern for a period of time. If you don't feel safe in your neighborhood, residents need to regroup and act. Mayor Schroeder should be ashamed of himself if he ignores his constituents. Hey Mark, elections have consequences.....when is he up?

Quote Originally Posted by shortstuff View Post
    Mark,

I am concerned about the activity that is occurring in your neighborhood. Your politicians should be as well. With the new additional officers hired in Lancaster, they should let their presence be known in the area of concern for a period of time. If you don't feel safe in your neighborhood, residents need to regroup and act. Mayor Schroeder should be ashamed of himself if he ignores his constituents. Hey Mark, elections have consequences.....when is he up?
    Since there is no opposition party in the village, his "reign" will probably end when the "Special Events" coordinator tells him.

since there is no opposition party in the village, his "reign" will probably end when the "special events" coordinator tells him.
    lmao!

Georgia L Schlager

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information