Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cheektowaga protecting Town’s financial investment, preventing rodent problems

Tony Fracasso - Admin

Cheektowaga protecting Town’s financial investment, preventing rodent problems

This is a good thing.

New Town of Cheektowaga tote inspection program aimed at protecting Town’s financial investment, preventing rodent problems

Supervisor Diane Benczkowski and Councilmember Christine Adamczyk, who oversees the Sanitation Department, have initiated a new tote inspection program intended to make sure all garbage and recycling totes are in good working order. If your garbage is picked up by the Town of Cheektowaga Sanitation Department, this program will protect the Town’s financial investment in garbage and recycling totes, making sure that any damaged totes are replaced. In doing so, the Town will also ensure that all totes are serving their intended purpose of keeping neighborhoods free of trash and rodents.

In 2012, the Town (outside the Villages) purchased 35,000 garbage totes totaling over $1.5 million. The next year, the Town purchased recycling totes for over $1.9 million. All totes came with a 10 year warranty covering the repair or replacement of damaged totes. With nearly $3.4 million invested in garbage and recycling totes, the Town is proactively protecting that investment by ensuring every residence continues to have a working and effective tote.

As part of this new program, a floating employee from the Town's Sanitation Department will inspect and replace damaged totes. Totes will only be replaced if structurally damaged; a tote will not be replaced for any other reason. The employee will inspect the tote for damage, the damage will be properly detailed and it will be determined if replacement parts are needed or if it should be replaced with a brand new tote. The Town will then contact the manufacturer to file a claim.

Garbage and recycling totes were originally purchased through the Town and introduced to keep neighborhoods clean; make garbage and recycling pickup more effective and efficient; and fight and prevent widespread problems of rats and rodents. While the totes had initially helped rid the town of rats in most neighborhoods, sightings have recently increased.

“By starting the tote inspection program, we are making sure that each and every tote is serving its intended purpose of storing garbage and recycling away from the sight of neighbors or out of reach from rodents,” said Supervisor Diane Benczkowski. “By getting rid of food sources, rats and rodents will not thrive. A good tote is only as good as the individuals and families using the totes. We need each and every resident’s help to make sure that garbage and recycling is properly placed in the tote and not disposed of in a careless manner.”

“I’ve received numerous complaints about the increase in rat problems and we’re trying to be proactive about this. The tote inspection program is a great idea to get a handle on all damaged totes before the warranty runs out,” said Councilmember Christine Adamczyk.

Residents are also being reminded to properly maintain their totes by rinsing and cleaning out totes on a semi-annual basis. In addition, totes must not be altered in any way. A resident’s address may be placed on the tote with adhesive numbers, but any permanent markings, such as paint, cannot be used. The original totes must stay with the house when changing owners or occupants.

“This tote inspection program and warranty fulfillment program is another example of how our town is trying to protect the taxpayers by protecting our current investments, while also preventing future costs or rodent infestations,” said Benczkowski.

If residents have a damaged Cheektowaga tote, they are asked to call the Cheektowaga Sanitation Department at (716) 686-3426 for an inspection. Additional garbage totes are available for sale in the Town Clerk’s office and additional recycling totes are free upon request.

Purchasing Additional Totes

Additional garbage and recycling totes are available for purchase
    95-gallon = $45
    65-gallon = $40 [Currently not available]

Totes may be purchased through the Town Clerk’s Office, Cheektowaga Town Hall-Suite 101. Payment accepted: cash, check & credit card. A receipt will be issued. Customer may take the receipt to the Sanitation office between 9 AM and 2 PM to pick up their tote(s) or they can take the receipt to the Sanitation Office and arrangements will be made for delivery by our Sanitation Department.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    As part of this new program, a floating employee from the Town's Sanitation Department will inspect and replace damaged totes. Totes will only be replaced if structurally damaged; a tote will not be replaced for any other reason. The employee will inspect the tote for damage, the damage will be properly detailed and it will be determined if replacement parts are needed or if it should be replaced with a brand new tote. The Town will then contact the manufacturer to file a claim.
    “By starting the tote inspection program, we are making sure that each and every tote is serving its intended purpose of storing garbage and recycling away from the sight of neighbors or out of reach from rodents,” said Supervisor Diane Benczkowski. “By getting rid of food sources, rats and rodents will not thrive. A good tote is only as good as the individuals and families using the totes. We need each and every resident’s help to make sure that garbage and recycling is properly placed in the tote and not disposed of in a careless manner.”

What is a floating employee?

How is the information given to the employee? If a sanitation worker sees a damaged tote are they going to report it or will the reporting only happen if the home owner calls it in?

As the people who pick up the trash clearly see damaged totes can they just have the driver mark down "778 street name" needs wheels and hand it in at the end of the day?

One floating employee can not literally inspect 35,000 totes without padding their over time like it's going out of style.

If each inspection took 5 minutes, 35,000 totes X 5 minutes = 2,916 hours. Seeing sanitation workers, from what I'm told, can clock out after 4 hours that would be 145.83 20 hour weeks to complete a full inspection. If it was a full days work at 8 hours minus lunch we are looking at 83 solid weeks at 35 hours a week. 7 hours plus 1 hour for lunch X 5 days.

How many items on the tote are user replaceable versus receiving a new complete tote. If the town is going to start "repairing" damaged totes who will do the repairs? Will the parts be given to the home owner or will the floating employee swap parts?

Valid point. If the totes are not closed rats will get in if possible. You can't fix issues with families who don't use the totes properly unless you fine them until they learn.

I’ve received numerous complaints about the increase in rat problems and we’re trying to be proactive about this. The tote inspection program is a great idea to get a handle on all damaged totes before the warranty runs out,” said Councilmember Christine Adamczyk.
    Tell property owners to go to Value and ask for Victor Rat traps. They work.

Question:

How many complaints have been called in per month? What system are we currently using to track the complaints?

Does Christine have this data available?

Are the complaints issued on town owned property like sewers or an area in a park?

Or is the rat issue on home owners properties?

Or is the rat issue being caused by an open dumpster say at a restaurant that is effecting property owners near the restaurant.

If residents have a damaged Cheektowaga tote, they are asked to call the Cheektowaga Sanitation Department at (716) 686-3426 for an inspection. Additional garbage totes are available for sale in the Town Clerk’s office and additional recycling totes are free upon request.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    For the record I'm not whining about this. This is something the town should do if there is a warranty with the totes.

My opinion is anything the town does should be done the best we can within reason.

Someone on facebook referred to me as a "known control freak" in a Cheektowaga Group on facebook.

I have read complaints of rats in a couple of facebook groups for the town. My wife has seen them in my area, people keep feeding the birds, the rats eat the seed etc

All rat concerns in this town are directed to call the county. The counties VECTOR program will come out and bait.Unfortunately the county employees do a half ass job and don't follow the gestation period of the rodent like their very own paper work tell you.

http://www2.erie.gov/health/index.ph...ontrol-program

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    I wonder what is breaking on the totes. Unless you are completely over loading the totes or mis-handling them they seem pretty durable.

Quote Originally Posted by WNYresident View Post
    I wonder what is breaking on the totes. Unless you are completely over loading the totes or mis-handling them they seem pretty durable.
    Rats chewing though them is what I have heard even though they were sold to the town as being "rat proof", wheels and lids.

I know mine has some good gashes in the side that did not come from me wheeling it to the curb.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    So how do you think warranty should be handled. I'd like to see a rat chew through one. Seems like a lot of work from the rats point of view compared to looking for another food source. We use liners and occasionally bleach ours out.

If I'm not lazy when I get home from work I'm going to see how many parts are used in a tote.

Electric, do you know where we purchased these from?

You’ll never get rid of rats. They’re pretty resourceful devils who manage to survive the winter around these parts despite our best efforts. While I wouldn’t keep them as pets let’s don't forget that they’re part of Nature’s recycling program. As for county assistance, as between the rats and county government under the retard Poloncarz, my money is on the rats every day and twice on Sunday. Rats are drawn by the smell of food so even if a restaurant keeps a dumpster buttoned up tight the scent will draw them. We had that situation not too far from my place a few years back. Station some feral cats near the dumpsters and the rat problem will diminish. Most totes will stand up to a rat chewing unless the rat is allowed to make gnawing away his life’s work.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    I know that rats are resourceful. I'm still surprised I don't find deer frozen solid when I go into the woods behind the house.

Back to warranty issues.

Electric, do you know who we purchased the totes from? I'd like to see the warranty procedure.

No I don't, Should be in the minutes from 2011 or 2012?

Im curious...so we take a guy from sanitation and make him a tote inspector...then we have to hire another guy to fill his position...so another employee hired? in the end its costing us a ton to inspect totes?

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    We don't have to hire anyone. There are 8 hour work days. Once the route is picked up there is still time left in the day for this.

we shall see..

That's like saying Highway isn't going to fill the open foreman position...time will tell...and for the record they don't work 8 hours in sanitiation...

We don't have to hire anyone. There are 8 hour work days. Once the route is picked up there is still time left in the day for this.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by cheektowaga View Post
    That's like saying Highway isn't going to fill the open foreman position...time will tell...and for the record they don't work 8 hours in sanitiation...
    Bad negotiations over the countless years the Cheektowaga Democratic Party has controlled the town.

Lay the blame squarely where it belongs.

The "clique" you belong to is no less guilty of what is going on in town as the other "clique"

lol...

So true...but stop the little kids games of putting me into a clique...I would never ever be a DEM..as you so imply! Your beginning to sound like our Town Supervisor with the accusations and name calling...but then again your her biggest supporter...I guess everyone needs at least one friend!

Bad negotiations over the countless years the Cheektowaga Democratic Party has controlled the town.

Lay the blame squarely where it belongs.

The "clique" you belong to is no less guilty of what is going on in town as the other "clique"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information