Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 5 million plus at the Buffalo Airport, so why cant we extend light rail to it?

Unregistered

5 million plus at the Buffalo Airport, so why cant we extend light rail to it?

We have an incredible regional asset at the Buffalo Niagara International Airport surrounded by business and office parks

So why cant we create the same regional asset for rail by reactivating the Central Terminal and surround it by business and office parks?

Buffalo has so much potential and yet our ability to create job creation engines around such potential is woefully inadequate if not downright ignorant.

Why?

1) It's not necessary, most people in this area drive, and those who don't can easily take the bus to the airport.

2) Central Terminal? Are you suggesting that we should build light rail to the Terminal in hopes that someone will redevelop it? Build it, and they will come? Do you really think that the only thing that's preventing anyone from redeveloping the Terminal is that there's no rail leading directly to the airport?

3) Hasn't a great portion of the former rail line between the terminal and the suburbs been removed? Is that the line that used to run in the Harlem/Walden area?

4) $5 million would pale in comparison to the cost of this - a rail to the East Side that no one would use.

It's too much money to spend to please the small contingency of rail buffs.

Unregistered

how sad to punish the entire Eastside for a dig towards someone you hate

Quote Originally Posted by Timmy
    huh?

Quote Originally Posted by therising
    huh?
    I think what he is saying is that if the idea didn't come from him you would probably agree with it. I think he's right.

Even if Timmy has a good idea you would automatically disagree with it because you hate the messenger. Who is saying something seems more important to you than what is being said. That's been my observation.

The buses already provide subsidized transportation that reaches far more people than an even higher subsidized LRT to the east side would.
    The path is clear
    Though no eyes can see
    The course laid down long before.
    And so with gods and men
    The sheep remain inside their pen,
    Though many times they've seen the way to leave.

Quote Originally Posted by Downstate Buffaloian
    I think what he is saying is that if the idea didn't come from him you would probably agree with it. I think he's right.

Even if Timmy has a good idea you would automatically disagree with it because you hate the messenger. Who is saying something seems more important to you than what is being said. That's been my observation.
    First of all, you're wrong - the fact that it come from him had nothing to do with it.

Second of all, you proved, today, that you are a major wuss. You insult people on this MB every day, then when someone calls you an idiot you proclaim that your New Year's resolution will be to stop posting. SO, I am certainly not going to listen to you, when it comes to advice of character. But that's neither here or there, although I'd be happy to discuss it with you in another thread.

Buffalo has so much potential and yet our ability to create job creation engines around such potential is woefully inadequate if not downright ignorant.
    Taxes...regulations...taxes...regulations...taxes. ..regulations...
    The difference between taxes and robbery is the mode of coercion.

Quote Originally Posted by therising
    First of all, you're wrong - the fact that it come from him had nothing to do with it.

Second of all, you proved, today, that you are a major wuss. You insult people on this MB every day, then when someone calls you an idiot you proclaim that your New Year's resolution will be to stop posting. SO, I am certainly not going to listen to you, when it comes to advice of character. But that's neither here or there, although I'd be happy to discuss it with you in another thread.
    I made my resolution prior to today's postings. That means you only have 3 more days to put up with me and then I'm gone. It's been nice arguing with you....

And to think, at one time I thought of you as one of the better posters

We have an incredible regional asset at the Buffalo Niagara International Airport surrounded by business and office parks

So why cant we create the same regional asset for rail by reactivating the Central Terminal and surround it by business and office parks?

The problem is that people have no vision in WNY and no one wants to step outside their little fiefdom to help the area as a whole. People want so much to hold on to what they have that they will not risk money on something new. Building a world-class light rail system could be a catalyst to make Buffalo into a real city where people could live real urban lifestyles, however it won't happen because people cannot think past what is already here.

Buffalo is the place of my birth and WNY was my home. However somewhere along the way the area has become intellectually inbred and new ideas and the means to follow through on them stopped coming. There are a lot of drawbacks to where I live now but it clearly has a future, as time goes on I'm beginning to sincerely think that WNY does not. Timmy you may be wise to get out now because I've been waiting for 20 years for Buffalo to change and its not happening fast enough and may never do so.

What is not mentioned is that the NFTA had an operating loss of $116,379,000 that is largely covered by taxpayers’ money. The Buffalo Niagara International Airport had an operating loss of $988,000 for 2005-06

Makes you wonder what a private, for-profit entity could accomplish.
    The path is clear
    Though no eyes can see
    The course laid down long before.
    And so with gods and men
    The sheep remain inside their pen,
    Though many times they've seen the way to leave.

Unregistered

people dont understand the difference between an expense and an investment

people dont understand the difference between an expense and an investment

-your complaining about a loss at the Buffalo Niagara Airport but could you seriously consider the effects on Buffalo's economy if we didnt have an airport or we were not a hub serving more than 5 million people a year

-if you cant understand what 5 million airport travelers does for the Buffalo and WNY economy then you wont be able to understand what 6 million travelers across the Peace bridge does for our economy or what the millions of rail travelers would do and you obviously wouldnt understand what a light rail expansion would do.

you see an expense...is something that you spend money on and there is no rate of return, no spin off investment, no economic impact

by some of the logic you applied...we shouldnt have sewars...running water or paved roads (except expressways)....youd consider these expenses when they are actually investments...that allow job creation and growth.

Timmy, just answer this question: Who would be riding this thing?

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    And how much would riders need to be charged to use it? What type of acutal yearly cost are you strapped with running a light rail train like that?

Couldn't we test the idea first?

Take like 20 buses and route then basically the same area as the train would go. Would people use the buses? If not, why not? Why would they take the same basic route if it was a train versus a bus that took them with the same amount of stops the train would do. Even if it was strictly point to point.

How about "googling earth" and create a overhead map of exactly where this train should go. What is in the way now if they were going to contruct this billion dollar train set?

little projects always seem to turn into money churning costly overrun projects when the "government" does it.

A rail would be nice, but what are you taking people to from the airport? The Main Place Mall?
    The down town area needs to become a desirable place to go to first so that people will want to utilize a rail system that will bring them there.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information