Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A ray of sunshine coming to Lancaster.

A ray of sunshine coming to Lancaster.

I approached the podium at the Lancaster town board meeting and asked 2 questions. 1. Are you for or against term limits in Lancaster ? Supervisor Coleman said against . Council members Walters, Dickman, and Gaczewski said for. Ruffino was absent. 2. I asked who if any will proceed further and implement term limits in Lancaster? Supervisor Coleman said NO , councilmember Walter said NO . Council members Dickman said YES councilwoman Gaczewski said YES.Ruffino was absent.Supervisor Coleman said no towns have term limits. That is not true Amherst has term limits going back to 2007.I tried to FOIL the information on the costs\pension/retirement due to Lancaster politicians that serve over 16 years but was denied that by town clerk Terranova. I am the optimist and can only hope that the new found conservativism of Ron Ruffino will step up and assist in implementing term limits in Lancaster. Term limits will help in preventing corruption and nepotism from BOTH political parties. We must do what is best for Lancaster,not ourselves or political party. Sadly there was only about 12 people in the audience.In the recent past it was very full. I believe the extra credit for students attending is over.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Sojka View Post
    I approached the podium at the Lancaster town board meeting and asked 2 questions. 1. Are you for or against term limits in Lancaster ? Supervisor Coleman said against . Council members Walters, Dickman, and Gaczewski said for. Ruffino was absent. 2. I asked who if any will proceed further and implement term limits in Lancaster? Supervisor Coleman said NO , councilmember Walter said NO . Council members Dickman said YES councilwoman Gaczewski said YES.Ruffino was absent.Supervisor Coleman said no towns have term limits. That is not true Amherst has term limits going back to 2007.I tried to FOIL the information on the costs\pension/retirement due to Lancaster politicians that serve over 16 years but was denied that by town clerk Terranova. I am the optimist and can only hope that the new found conservativism of Ron Ruffino will step up and assist in implementing term limits in Lancaster. Term limits will help in preventing corruption and nepotism from BOTH political parties. We must do what is best for Lancaster,not ourselves or political party. Sadly there was only about 12 people in the audience.In the recent past it was very full. I believe the extra credit for students attending is over.

Good news if not a meaningless, showboat, grandstand position. But Walter, Gaczewski, and Dickman are on some type of apparent "record."

A nice thing about term limits, they need not be enshrined in law. They can be voluntarily applied. I am curious to see just how personally committed those favoring members are.
    Last edited by mark blazejewski; February 21st, 2018 at 09:05 AM.

Good luck with the term limits - it ain't never gonna happen !

Anyone on the board can say they are for it - they can even use it as a feel good campaign issue - but not one will ever "write, propose and vote to pass" the needed amendment. Never !

They say they are there for their community - they are mostly there for a NYS tax funded pension. Even though Council Members are part-time two days a month - they get full pension benefits and a shorter vesting time.

You might want to check further as to how many years credits are needed to be vested in the NYS Pension system. These years of service credit can also be combined with previously earned or future credits from other jobs/positions.

A person (like Mrs Coleman) can retire - collect their tax funded pension and still be elected/reelected and continue to collect their tax funded salary and pension. They can also combine credits to enhance and cash out while still working.

There's a few more goodies to like - deferred compensation ! That lets them invest a portion of their pay into a tax deferred pension fund. That way they avoid the current tax rate - they will only have to pay taxes on what's used after final retirement when they start drawing from that fund.
    #Dems play musical chairs + patronage and nepotism = entitlement !

Greg Sojka: I tried to FOIL the information on the costs\pension/retirement due to Lancaster politicians that serve over 16 years but was denied that by town clerk Terranova.
    Greg, I am just thinking that the information may be available, but Ms. Terranova may have declined your request because of the form of your presentation.

FALSE

Supervisor Coleman did NOT say no towns have term limits.

Councilman Matt Walter stated, "I don't know of any other towns that have instituted term limits" Then the supervisor said, "I think the Town of Amherst has" and then Councilman Dickman spoke.

I'm not in favor of term limits. Look what happened in Amherst. Weinstein was doing an excellent job. His term limit was up. The new supervisor created a position - Chief of Staff at $81,800 and put his campaign manager in the job- a non-resident.

You vote in those who have been doing a good job and vote out the bad apples, JMHO.

Georgia L Schlager

Gorja: You vote in those who have been doing a good job and vote out the bad apples, JMHO.

Perhaps more meaningful than the "showboat" term limits thing, would be meaningful ethics reform and a citizen-based ethics oversight board, with an expanded mandate, and TEETH!

Gorja, my hearing is off due to loud noises. Next time I am at the podium speaking maybe you should keep your mouth shut instead of telling the supervisor from your seat that Amherst has term limits? You also have the opportunity to speak when it is your turn but you rarely do. I was speaking to the Lancaster town board and you commenting from the bleacher seats is distracting and unnecessary. Let the supervisor speak for herself.

4228, nice to see you again. I understand you dismissing the idea of politicians in Lancaster moving forward with term limits. I am ever the optimist! I believe the moon and stars could align to pass term limits in our Lancaster. These are troubling times on the political battlefield of Lancaster. The wheeling and dealing is already well under way with future candidates testing the air. I would never expect Supervisor Coleman to welcome term limits. A political party in office over time acquires more power through giving work, jobs, and hirings that it becomes difficult to remove them even if they are failing Lancaster. (Debts must be paid.). I do not want to see any political party control our town for over 30+ years.All political parties have career politicians and it leads to corruption. I believe you run for office to serve,not make a career out it. Term limits will help stop career politicians.

You don't want career politicians - eliminate the pensions.
    #Dems play musical chairs + patronage and nepotism = entitlement !

Gorja, my hearing is off due to loud noises. Next time I am at the podium speaking maybe you should keep your mouth shut instead of telling the supervisor from your seat that Amherst has term limits? You also have the opportunity to speak when it is your turn but you rarely do. I was speaking to the Lancaster town board and you commenting from the bleacher seats is distracting and unnecessary. Let the supervisor speak for herself.

Actually Greg, I was talking to myself. I'm old; I do that.
    I don't get up and speak unless I have a comment or a question about something.

Georgia L Schlager

Interesting, no surprise with Johanna, she has been on that board for decades-she would appear disingenuous if she said yes. The others who said yes for term limits is no surprise, and good answer on their part. I would love to have heard Ruffino answer this, Greg please ask him at the next meeting. As for Walters saying no for term limits is a surprise, he espoused that he was a proponent of term limits when he campaigned. His voting record mirrors the Supervisor's. I'm glad Dawn, Adam and possibly Ron are showing signs of individuality apart from the Supervisor. We need to have debates on the board now that there are two Democrats, one Republican, one Blank & one Conservative.

I think term limits are good, but the term must allow governance to play out as policies are enacted. That said, governing should not be a politicians career. Therefore, their pensions should reflect that.

Quote Originally Posted by shortstuff View Post
    Interesting, no surprise with Johanna, she has been on that board for decades-she would appear disingenuous if she said yes. The others who said yes for term limits is no surprise, and good answer on their part. I would love to have heard Ruffino answer this, Greg please ask him at the next meeting. As for Walters saying no for term limits is a surprise, he espoused that he was a proponent of term limits when he campaigned. His voting record mirrors the Supervisor's. I'm glad Dawn, Adam and possibly Ron are showing signs of individuality apart from the Supervisor. We need to have debates on the board now that there are two Democrats, one Republican, one Blank & one Conservative.

I think term limits are good, but the term must allow governance to play out as policies are enacted. That said, governing should not be a politicians career. Therefore, their pensions should reflect that.
    All this term limits talk is very interesting. What's the next topic, extra-terrestrial life?

Seems to me that Gaczewski and Walter may be looking for a "showboat" issue to publicly separate themselves from Coleman. Then, on other issues, they can continue to support her every whim, while appearing to have challenged her. Perhaps this term limit talk serves those ends?

Council members do not need a law to restrict their encore performances; that is a decision they can make on their own.

BTW, if 4-terms, or 16 years in one position is to be the term limit standard, it is a paper tiger. Stan Keysa Jr. lasted 8, 2-year terms for 16 total years. Giza, in his role as Supervisor, lasted 16 years. Voters usually term-limit most politicians after that length of time in any event, like a Broadway play that's been around too long.
    Last edited by mark blazejewski; February 22nd, 2018 at 05:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by shortstuff View Post

Johanna's initial response was, "I haven't thought about it but I'm going to limit my term."

Georgia L Schlager

An interesting thread on term limits at this time when in fact if the town board were to enact even two term limits the only elected office holder impacted is Highway Superintendent Dan Amatura – who is in the midst of his second term and often commended for the job he does in that position.

Supervisor Coleman is in her first term as Supervisor as are Council members Walter, Gaczewski and Dickman.

As for Council member Ruffino who missed the meeting, he has served on the town board for 16 years, but has made it clear that he will be seeking the Supervisor position in 2019; so term limits won’t impact him either. It kind of sounds like an attempt to target / remove / discredit three Democrats from office – especially bringing up operation and pension costs for those of 16 years of service and whereby every town employee has the same legacy costs.

BTW – The Lancaster Bee reported: Residents interested in learning more about the board’s research on term limits can contact Dickman, who during Tuesday’s meeting offered to take the lead with this endeavor. He can be reached at 683-1610.

Did Dickman make this statement during the meeting or after? I listened to the recording and just heard him say that he would look into the nuances of term limits.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Chowaniec View Post
    An interesting thread on term limits at this time when in fact if the town board were to enact even two term limits the only elected office holder impacted is Highway Superintendent Dan Amatura – who is in the midst of his second term and often commended for the job he does in that position.
    Sorry Lee. It's his third term

BTW – The Lancaster Bee reported: Residents interested in learning more about the board’s research on term limits can contact Dickman, who during Tuesday’s meeting offered to take the lead with this endeavor. He can be reached at 683-1610.

Did Dickman make this statement during the meeting or after? I listened to the recording and just heard him say that he would look into the nuances of term limits.
    I left as they were going into executive session and did not hear that statement prior to that either.

Georgia L Schlager

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information