Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Tops Market's files for Bankruptcy

Quote Originally Posted by leftWNYbecauseofBS View Post
    Hey Moron...

Tops have not filed for Bankruptcy yet. It's likely they will but that's not what you're claiming. That's because you're a moron.

The majority of the jobs for Tops are at the stores and the majority of those jobs will remain. This is most likely an end around their horrible union and a way to clear debt off the book from the Morgan Stanley deal.

The Morgan Stanley deal returned control of Tops to local ownership. That's key as it gives the best chance for those jobs to remain as well. If Ahold or Morgan Stanley still owned Tops it would be much more likely for the fire sale that you so desperately want because you're an a**hole.

The most likely play is this bankruptcy has been in the works since 2013 and a part of the long-term plan.
    hey, Moron, I guess u were wrong again. Then you add BS too when u are wrong. You told me about five years ago it's your job to clean up sites like this from people like me. I guess you're not doing to good of a job. Im still here and so is Jen.. You are such an idiot. Go Bills
    God must love stupid people; He made so many

Quote Originally Posted by cheekman View Post
    hey, Moron, I guess u were wrong again. Then you add BS too when u are wrong. You told me about five years ago it's your job to clean up sites like this from people like me. I guess you're not doing to good of a job. Im still here and so is Jen.. You are such an idiot. Go Bills
    Ya. You are still here. You're also still poor. You are still dumb. You also live in a crappy home in Cheektowaga and you live a sad life. So there is that.

Go Bills!

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    A few of us need to grow up.

Quote Originally Posted by grump View Post
    That it will be. I have to say I’m less than optimistic ‘though I can’t say just why. I’m not a big Tops fan but it’s a lot of jobs at stake.
    Well it seems that the debt. was used to pay off investors.
    So instead of upgrading the stores or retiring older debt.
    A few bigwigs got their investment back.
    From the bloomberg article..."and debt was used to help finance at least $375 million in dividends for its private-equity owners".
    Hillary will NEVER be President
    Obama is a FORMER President
    Joe Biden is in Scranton eating paste.

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by ILOVEDNY View Post
    Well it seems that the debt. was used to pay off investors.
    So instead of upgrading the stores or retiring older debt.
    A few bigwigs got their investment back.
    From the bloomberg article..."and debt was used to help finance at least $375 million in dividends for its private-equity owners".
    Simple math, to many grocery stores, too many retail stores, too many resturants, for the shrinking market and the population loss's, Then the property taxes & utilities bills keep going up up & up, their's less disposable income to spend.

Quote Originally Posted by jennifer7 View Post
    Simple math, to many grocery stores, too many retail stores, too many resturants, for the shrinking market and the population loss's, Then the property taxes & utilities bills keep going up up & up, their's less disposable income to spend.

Tops is a sh#&hole, that’s what it comes down to. They dont keep up their stores and prices are higher than competition. Other retail has closed, as it has across the country, way too much brick and mortar to compete with online. Sears etc has closed thousands of stores across America, not just a local issue

I know that bankruptcy courts have a lot of power to make debt just go away. But it’s gonna be hard to just blink a half billion dollars in pension obligations into oblivion. If I’m a pension manager I sure as hell don’t want to trade the debt for stock in a company with one foot in the grave and the other on a banana peel. For sure, some of that pension obligation is gonna land on the taxpayers courtesy of the Pension Benefit Guarantee Corporation.

Ya. You are still here. You're also still poor. You are still dumb. You also live in a crappy home in Cheektowaga and you live a sad life. So there is that.

Go Bills!
    Right back at U.
    God must love stupid people; He made so many

I have been following this online and have read over and over again that Tops employees are treated like crap. Also read a couple of times they have to deal with more crap from crappy shoppers. Not a good mix.

I think what Tops should do is follow the Trader Joes model. Not the hippie food but instead of doing lots of high quality prepaired food they should offer lots of high quality packaged food.

An example is if you go into Trader Joes they have an awesome selection of frozen fish. Good quality frozen fish. Not in a box and processed with butter and breading but good quality tuna, salmon and the like. You don't need a fish monger for this. You don't need a chef. But you make a nice profit. Also safe from spoiling.
    Not to mention the customer service is excellent at TJ's. As it is at Wegmans. So much for that union quality at Tops. Surly or rude staff, high prices and filthy stores = Tops. I have refused to shop there for years and will drive past two Tops stores to get to Wegmans.

I just think it’s gonna be a tough lift for Tops, even with the help of the bankruptcy court. Too much debt, they can’t seem to fund operations out of cash. A mess.

Made my first stop at Tops since they filed...the one on Maple Rd in Amherst near Blvd. Mall. About 11 am on a Sat morning, a busy time typically for grocery stores. There were customers and they had a heck of a deal on Cambell soup according to my wife. Comes checkout time and only 3 are open. There was a fairly long line at each one so a young fella grabs us and says he can take us at an empty register. We start unloading and 3 or 4 jump is the line behind us. He rings up everything and just as it’s time to settle up, he just walks away. People behind us start grumbling about where he went. Someone explained that he had to wash his hands after handling the meat...I hope they were speaking about the 2 beef roasts we bought!! Some stores keep hand sanitizer right at the register, ah well.

Quote Originally Posted by grump View Post
    Made my first stop at Tops since they filed...the one on Maple Rd in Amherst near Blvd. Mall. About 11 am on a Sat morning, a busy time typically for grocery stores. There were customers and they had a heck of a deal on Cambell soup according to my wife. Comes checkout time and only 3 are open. There was a fairly long line at each one so a young fella grabs us and says he can take us at an empty register. We start unloading and 3 or 4 jump is the line behind us. He rings up everything and just as it’s time to settle up, he just walks away. People behind us start grumbling
    about where he went. Someone explained that he had to wash his hands after handling the meat...I hope they were speaking about the 2 beef roasts we bought!! Some stores keep hand sanitizer right at the register, ah well.
    Tops answer to increase customer service is to install self serve checkouts, while wegmans puts on an extra cashier. Tops on transit and French last year had employees out front on smoke break, very classy

I only go to Tops for Ice cream and Buttermilk, almost everything cost much more that Price Rite or Aldi . Check out the mailed adds every weekend and the Top adds show they still do not compare with the others.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Buttermilk? I haven't heard that in a long time.

Quote Originally Posted by WNYresident View Post
    Buttermilk? I haven't heard that in a long time.
    Last time I heard it was when I last watched True Grit. Kim Darby was partial to cold buttermilk and John Wayne reminded her “we ain’t got none of that”. About Tops, I noticed that Price Rite is opening about 500 yards away from the Tops on Maple Road.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread Information