Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Amherst Fire District Disparity.

Unregistered
    A routine House Fire in most of WNY requires 10 to 15 volunteer FD's to be called just to have enough people that can pass the physical that can wear SCBA (air pack)
    because most volunteers are old and or overweight

http://www.whec.com/news/shortage-of...-time/4779357/

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Roman View Post
    They don’t buy loaded vehicles from local dealers, they’re bought off a state bid at a set price for stock vehicles, more in neighborhood of 40k, then add lights graphics etc
    This. They also don't buy new ones every couple of years or come close to spending $100k per year as the moron suggested.

The moron is obviously a low income, former townie who was also a volley. That much is obvious. They also have an itch with WNY because they most likely are unhappy with their current plot in life.

From Eggertsville Hose Company website...

"One of three 2015 Chevy Tahoe's assigned to the Fire Chief and Assistant Fire Chiefs of the department. These vehicles carry first response EMS equipment and fire suppression equipment. These units are also capable of communications with neighboring fire departments and can function as the initial incident command post for any incident."

I'd not be surprised if these things cost up toward $100k. And I'd also expect the (annual) cost of ownership/operation is pushing the high side of that category too.

The good aspect - for Eggertsville - is that it appears these folks can live with (relatively) "dated" vehicles. That - to me - is good management/stewardship.

Quote Originally Posted by leftWNYbecauseofBS View Post
    This. They also don't buy new ones every couple of years or come close to spending $100k per year as the moron suggested.

The moron is obviously a low income, former townie who was also a volley. That much is obvious. They also have an itch with WNY because they most likely are unhappy with their current plot in life.
    See, now, I didn't read the comment as you did. As I read it, the claim was that the vehicles (fully outfitted) are $100k... and that the so-called "toys" are purchased every year.

No matter. In my mind, whether $100k, $200k, $50k, or anywhere in between, I just want the expenditures to be worthy for the function. I'd not want to see a Bentley badged fire chief vehicle. But I want it to be well capable of emergency service.

From Snyder Fire website:

"Chiefs' Cars
    2013 Chevrolet Tahoe
    Three identical vehicles assigned to the Chief, 1st Assistant Chief and 2nd Assistant Chief
    . Because these vehicles are often first on location, they carry a full compliment of emergency medical equipment including cardiac defibrillators. They also carry a variety of firefighting and rescue tools."

From Williamsville Fire website:

"Chief/ First Response Vehicles
    2014 Chevy Tahoes"

There are three of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Member 2358 View Post
    From Snyder Fire website:

"Chiefs' Cars
    2013 Chevrolet Tahoe
    Three identical vehicles assigned to the Chief, 1st Assistant Chief and 2nd Assistant Chief
    . Because these vehicles are often first on location, they carry a full compliment of emergency medical equipment including cardiac defibrillators. They also carry a variety of firefighting and rescue tools."

So a 2013 that was most likely purchased in 2012...

Say it was $100k to purchase and outfit the truck, that's a cost spread out over 5 years now. So $20k a year on the high end. On top of that, things like cardiac defibrillators and rescue tools are not attached to the truck. This is for a couple of the volleys who have most likely given years of free service to the dept.

When you consider a paid Asst Chief would make close to $150k, only fools (not saying you) would complain about a take-home truck that actually has a purpose.

Say it was $100k to purchase and outfit the truck, that's a cost spread out over 5 years now. So $20k a year on the high end. On top of that, things like cardiac defibrillators and rescue tools are not attached to the truck. This is for a couple of the volleys who have most likely given years of free service to the dept.

When you consider a paid Asst Chief would make close to $150k, only fools (not saying you) would complain about a take-home truck that actually has a purpose.
    Yeah. No doubt. See, I have no real issue with a so-called volunteer emergency protection & response service having good stuff. Good stuff costs... it is what it is... as long as it is responsible. I part ways with fire companies that simply try to have "better" stuff than the neighboring outfit... simply for the sake of having cooler stuff. As a hypothetical... I suspect that North Amherst (where Schoelles Road guy lives) doesn't have any 13 story high rises. So, >>IF<< they purchased a primo ladder truck with a 13 story reach, that should be a problem. [Note - I do not live in North Amherst Fire District.] Williamsville and Eggertsville do have such high rises, so such a purchase might be more reasonable.

As was noted prior, North Amherst Fire's disparate charges are not due to crazy expenditures, it is because so few people have chosen to live in the area. it is just not that attractive to live there. And it seems that Schoelles Road guy is finally learning that living there is not all he thought it was.

Unregistered
    A lot of Vol. FD web sites are not updated with current department apparatus & chief trucks. Speaking of Ladder trucks, Town Line in Lancaster has 2 new Ladder Trucks Truck 2 & Truck 6 then Bowmansville, Lancaster Village & Millgrove just purchased new Ladder Trucks too 5 Ladder Trucks for Lancaster that just cost the taxpayers 7 Million, Can you say lots of lots of waste,

Unregistered

Speaking of fools, go to You Tube and search Erie County FD's in action , notice every house fire burns to ground or is a Total Loss , Read the 100's of comments

Why does the rest of country pay 1/10th the property taxes and have manned fire stations and are staffed with paid professional career Firefighters that are Paramedic's an have FD Paramedic Ambulances providing ALS Advance Life Support ?

Unregistered
    Yeah. No doubt. See, I have no real issue with a so-called volunteer emergency protection & response service having good stuff. Good stuff costs... it is what it is... as long as it is responsible. I part ways with fire companies that simply try to have "better" stuff than the neighboring outfit... simply for the sake of having cooler stuff. As a hypothetical... I suspect that North Amherst (where Schoelles Road guy lives) doesn't have any 13 story high rises. So, >>IF<< they purchased a primo ladder truck with a 13 story reach, that should be a problem. [Note - I do not live in North Amherst Fire District.] Williamsville and Eggertsville do have such high rises, so such a purchase might be more reasonable.

As was noted prior, North Amherst Fire's disparate charges are not due to crazy expenditures, it is because so few people have chosen to live in the area. it is just not that attractive to live there. And it seems that Schoelles Road guy is finally learning that living there is not all he thought it was.

On top of Williamsville & Eggertsville having Ladder Trucks, Ellicott Creek, Getzville, Snyder, North Bailey, Main Transit, East Amherst, Harris Hill, Clarence Center, 10 Ladder Trucks for a population for 100,000

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    See, now, I didn't read the comment as you did. As I read it, the claim was that the vehicles (fully outfitted) are $100k... and that the so-called "toys" are purchased every year.

No matter. In my mind, whether $100k, $200k, $50k, or anywhere in between, I just want the expenditures to be worthy for the function. I'd not want to see a Bentley badged fire chief vehicle. But I want it to be well capable of emergency service.

I mean "toys" in a good way. Within reason any tool or item that can make a job easier is sometimes a wise investment over time. Sometimes people get the attitude of "If we don't spend it we loose it" and common sense is ignored.

If I ran a volly hall people would know exactly how the funds were spent. The equipment list would have what was spent per item for along with the options. Like a load out sheet.

As example:

http://www.bellevuefire.org/apparatus.html

I would like to see the load out per truck.

Model: Spiffy Fire truck 1500 $200,000

400 HP
    5000 watt Generator
    2000 gallon water tank

Options

3 cubic foot fridge $500
    LED light package $1200
    Block heater $200
    Deluxe Hose package $2000

Total cost $xxxxxxxx

I would also include all other vehicles and their load out.

and so on.

If you know what your paying for you can justify what you see on your tax bill each year.

Unregistered
    Each Vol. Fire Dept or Fire District alone has enough aparatus to cover a small city with population of 150,000 and they don't have the people to man
    all the appartus anymore, Since all 10 Cheektowaga Vol FD's now responed to routine house fires. 75% to 80% of the appartus says in the fire stations
    because lack of manpower, Why not merge FD's and become one Cheektowaga FD with several stations thoughout the town and cut the waste and save taxpayers money

Quote Originally Posted by jennifer7 View Post
    Each Vol. Fire Dept or Fire District alone has enough aparatus to cover a small city with population of 150,000 and they don't have the people to man
    all the appartus anymore, Since all 10 Cheektowaga Vol FD's now responed to routine house fires. 75% to 80% of the appartus says in the fire stations
    because lack of manpower, Why not merge FD's and become one Cheektowaga FD with several stations thoughout the town and cut the waste and save taxpayers money
    I don't get what you are saying. If the stations still exist, wouldn't they have to be stocked with much the same equipment & stuff... trucks, air tanks, medical supplies, beer... y'know the important stuff. There'd likely be some kind of top guy/gal at each station that would warrant a Tahoe-like vehicle capable of quick response. The building would still have to be maintained. Soooo, I'm not understanding from where any meaningful monetary savings would come.

Unregistered
    I don't get what you are saying. If the stations still exist, wouldn't they have to be stocked with much the same equipment & stuff... trucks, air tanks, medical supplies, beer... y'know the important stuff. There'd likely be some kind of top guy/gal at each station that would warrant a Tahoe-like vehicle capable of quick response. The building would still have to be maintained. Soooo, I'm not understanding from where any meaningful monetary savings would come.
    Cheekowaga has 29 Engines that that costs range from $500,000 a piece for a basic bare bone engine (what Buffalo, Lackawanna, Depew buys) to $900,000 for a loaded engine with all the toys (like Lancaster FD's buy) 9 Ladder Trucks that are 1.5 Million a piece , 6 Heavy Rescue's that are 1 million a piece, 30 light rescues, pick ups, suburbans & 30 take home chiefs, that are also the newest Tahoe model for 65,000 to 70,000 is insane Lackawanna has 2 Engines & 1 Ladder , Niagara Falls has
    5 Engines, 2 Ladder Trucks, 1 Heavy Rescue , City of Tonawanda has 2 Engine's, 1 Ladder Truck, 1 Heavy Rescue, Cheektowaga right sized for a population of 70,000 people would 5 or 6 Engines, 1 or 2 Ladder Trucks, 1 Heavy Rescue, 1 Chief out of 6 or 7 Stations

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information