Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Where have all the gadflies gone

Mark, I only made it through high school but I searched out the other ideas on the Good Samaritan and found it very interesting. You bring up some very good points. I was wondering if you might also consider the reason the people did not get involved due to fear, blood, and rituals is just an excuse to make them feel better in a difficult situation. That would be their escape from getting involved. Mark, you lose me on some of the things you go on about but I am glad I looked up this perspective. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Sojka View Post
    Mark, I only made it through high school but I searched out the other ideas on the Good Samaritan and found it very interesting. You bring up some very good points. I was wondering if you might also consider the reason the people did not get involved due to fear, blood, and rituals is just an excuse to make them feel better in a difficult situation. That would be their escape from getting involved. Mark, you lose me on some of the things you go on about but I am glad I looked up this perspective. Thank you.

Greg, this not for your consideration exclusively. It is for the general readership.

I truly value this forum. I have lived in this village/town all of my life, and I am old enough to remember Dwight Eisenhower's picture hanging in my classroom as POTUS. Ever since those days, many residents, unconnected, had no voice. They were marginalized and dismissed by the so-called "elites;" the self-proclaimed "powers-that-be."

Moreover, the so-called "majority" on the council and boards, apparently have, in the past, treated opposition peer-members, duly elected and installed, with almost the exact disdain, and contempt that they held the "unwashed" citizen. (An elected representative having to FOIL information that is up for formal debate and vote, is disgusting, IMHO.)

The public surely has a right to know of such practices and attitudes.

Therefore, Speak Up provides a pretty much unedited and uncensored forum, serving as a channel by which concerns can aired, suggestions can be made, protests registered, and advocacy to seek redress can be undertaken.

To me, it is not about the specific identity of the messenger, it is about the conveyance of the message. With the message out for public consideration, it is up to the reader to probe with a desire to learn more.

Regarding council and board meetings, most residents that I know, generally consider the public participation component of council and board meetings to be a waste of time. The rules governing that participation serve the subjective interests of the council and board, and most unconnected people, or those with questionable "standing," are not going to risk humiliation, or perhaps falling prey to highly subjective, or perhaps even contrived, charges of disorderliness.

With that being said, to those who have confronted, and continue to confront government officials in the public arena, a thank you.

I was wondering if you might also consider the reason the people did not get involved due to fear, blood, and rituals is just an excuse to make them feel better in a difficult situation.

Regarding your point about fear as an excuse for detachment Greg, I am sure that some use the fear thing as a cop-out, but I believe that such concerns are probably more valid than you may think. Based upon my experience, knowledge and belief, as an observer and resident, this town/village has a rather sad, untold history of such bullying and intimidation, and I sincerely believe most unconnected residents do not want to push the envelope, just my opinion.

Personally, I am too old to worry about retaliation and the like. I have seen enough crap go on in this town/village, and I really don't care what I say, and I'll say it under my real name.
    Last edited by mark blazejewski; February 18th, 2018 at 11:34 PM.

[QUOTE=Greg Sojka;1783389]

Lee, you stated I was seeking political office. The Lancaster republican chair is an unpaid volunteer position.
    We could dance around this all day. You are a Republican Party committee member. You ran for the party Chairmanship which is an elected office. You are involved in politics; albeit unpaid.

You stated, are you denying I accepted tree work from Lancaster in the past few months ? Lee lies again.
    No lies, Greg, just looking for clarification as you are a tough guy to get answers from. I acknowledged in the previous post that you did no work for the town but that you did get special use permits. From the 12/18/17 town board resolutions:

5. Abraham/________ Authorize Special Use Permit Greg's Tree Service Contractor’s Storage Yard (Renewal) [Special Use Permit: Greg's Tree Service]

6. Abraham/________ Authorize Special Use Permit Greg's Tree Service Mulch Storage (Renewal) [Special Use Permit: Mulch Storage]

Topsoil involved, maybe not as I am unfamiliar with your business.

I have refused 4 bids for Lancaster on work. I refuse the work because of the idea i am getting political favors .
    Why would you or anyone think that, or that there would be a conflict of interest unless you were involved in politics – which you claim you are not as you receive no compensation as a Republican Party committee member or should you have become Party Chair; but in reality you are?

You stated,I have only attended a few Lancaster board meetings recently. Lee lies again .
    The meetings you have attended in the past few years were infrequent and your input at those meetings has been near non-existent. And, people who do attend the meetings inform me when you are present or not.

I was going to blow you off as not worth the effort, but after all I am the irrelevant keyboard master and this is beginning to get interesting and enjoyable.

Other

Nice post, Mark B. Spot on! I would estimate that at least 90% of Speakup posters do so anonymously and for the reasons you stated. For 18 years I attended town board meetings religiously and cn attest there were numerous times it was done in trepidation and fear of ridicule or reprisal.

Greg, still waiting for your answer to Lord Geoff’s inquiry on what remains in the LSCD unrestricted reserve funds that you claim should have been spent down to lower our taxes. As well as you I hate paying taxes because of fiscal irresponsibility. Had we spent down the reserves quicker – than the $9 million to near $11 million spent in each of three years – we may very well have landed on the ‘distress list’ like West Seneca and a few other schools. Now they will be looking at raising taxes dramatically.

Despite the fact that the LCSD budget is $104 million, that 85-87% of it is mandated, that discretionary spending amount of $20 - $25 million should be more than enough to cover the operating expenses of 5 buildings, programs, athletics, music, art, etc., right Greg?

At the first budget work session it was reported that employee benefits are increasing this year by $995,799 - from $24.91 million to $25.90 million. But it’s Superintendent Vallely’s $200,000 salary that is the problem, right Greg?

Originally posted by Greg Sojka:
    I have refused 4 bids for Lancaster on work . I refuse the work because of the idea i am getting political favors .
    It's none of my business but I'm going to ask anyway. Are you refusing bids due to your son now being a zoning board member?

Georgia L Schlager

Gorja, interesting that you asked that. I believe in the past you posted my award of jobs on here . One job was for 700 and another was for 500 . I know these amounts are crumbs to some .The other companies bid amounts were 2000 and 2300 . A poster who uses a fake name then said I was winning no bid contracts and implied I was taking advantage of Lancaster. I then told the town/ village I will not bid on their work but if they had a problem or issue I would volunteer and help them out. I did this well before my son "won" his "political office" that pays approximately $1800 a year. This can be verified by searching in past posts of speak up WNY.********. Lee, in your confused state do you remember saying 4% raise for Chief Gill baaaaad, but a 4% raise for superintendent Valley good.To most readers on here it does not make sense. Good day Lee ramble on!

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Sojka View Post
    Gorja, interesting that you asked that. I believe in the past you posted my award of jobs on here . One job was for 700 and another was for 500 . I know these amounts are crumbs to some .The other companies bid amounts were 2000 and 2300 . A poster who uses a fake name then said I was winning no bid contracts and implied I was taking advantage of Lancaster. I then told the town/ village I will not bid on their work but if they had a problem or issue I would volunteer and help them out. I did this well before my son "won" his "political office" that pays approximately $1800 a year. This can be verified by searching in past posts of speak up WNY.********. Lee, in your confused state do you remember saying 4% raise for Chief Gill baaaaad, but a 4% raise for superintendent Valley good.To most readers on here it does not make sense. Good day Lee ramble on!
    Never made either comment. I questioned why in the budget the Chief and Captains were getting 4% salary increase while the rank and file was only getting 2%. It was explained that the Chief and Captains settled their own contracts and where a new contract was negotiated resulting in their getting 4%. That should have been the end of it, but not for you. And, this was explained to you in past posts when you brought the same subject up numerous times – as you continuously beat the same drum.

As to Vallely, I never said it was good that he got a 4% increase (or whatever he got). I said that with the good job he was doing in the school district the increase must have been warranted as the BOE approved the increase with most likely the thought that his market value warranted such increase.
    But, you hate LCSD Superintendent Dr. Vallely and will use any excuse or avenue to pursue taking shots at him.

Now, really read this post very slow and try to comprehend what I am trying to tell you – again! Call a friend if you need help in comprehending it.

Glad to be of service in clarifying another disingenuous, invective post of your yours.

Originally posted by Greg Sojka:
    Gorja, interesting that you asked that. I believe in the past you posted my award of jobs on here . One job was for 700 and another was for 500 . I know these amounts are crumbs to some .The other companies bid amounts were 2000 and 2300 . A poster who uses a fake name then said I was winning no bid contracts and implied I was taking advantage of Lancaster. I then told the town/ village I will not bid on their work but if they had a problem or issue I would volunteer and help them out. I did this well before my son "won" his "political office" that pays approximately $1800 a year.
    Thank you for your response, Greg.

Georgia L Schlager

The police captains and the chief will be only paying 4.5% towards their health insurance during 2018 and 8.5% in 2019.
    Vallely will be paying 14% towards his health insurance in 2018-19

Georgia L Schlager

Just finished listening to the LCSD February 5th BOE meeting recording posted on the district’s website.

My belated but sincerest condolences to Julie Kaska on the passing of her spouse in January.

This was the first I heard of the loss.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information