Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Old-time Buffalo favorite Iroquois Beer is poised to make a comeback

Tony Fracasso - Admin

Old-time Buffalo favorite Iroquois Beer is poised to make a comeback

My grandfather worked for Iroquois Beer for decades.

Old-time Buffalo favorite Iroquois Beer is poised to make a comeback

It's time for grandparents to dust off their pilsner glasses and brush up on beer-drinking stories from decades long ago. A retro version of one of their old standards is about to hit regional brewing circles.Community Beer Works is at work on a new, $1.5 million brewing operation on the West Side that looks to bring the Iroquois Beer brand back in force come late spring.
    CBW and a descendant of former Iroquois brewery owner William Weigel are so excited about their joint venture, however, that they don't want area beer-lovers to wait that long for a taste of what's to come. They will host an Iroquois Beer launch party from 5 to 9 p.m. Feb. 1 at the Hotel Henry Conference Center.
    "This beer is going to be a nice, easy drinking beer, something people can enjoy drinking in pubs and taverns after work," Community Beer Works President Ethan Cox said.

http://buffalonews.com/2018/01/30/ir...m=more_stories

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Never mind. Not the original recipe.

Cox and Pottle will bring 14.5 kegs of the light lager to the launch this week. It will be the first time in more than three decades that beer drinkers will be able to order an Iroquois – though those who remember its flavor will taste some subtle differences.Pottle still has his great-grandfather's brewer's diploma and other Iroquois memorabilia, but the beer recipes are long gone, he said.
    Cox said some of the malts and hops used to brew the original beer are likely no longer grown.

Quote Originally Posted by WNYresident View Post
    Never mind. Not the original recipe.
    So just a general light lager that is going to try to sell based on nostalgia. Didn't they do that with doughnuts recently as well?

My 1st cousin twice removed worked there too. On his World War I draft registration card, he wrote that he was a clerk at Iroquois brewery and he was still working there during the 1940 census. He died in 1962.

Georgia L Schlager

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by leftWNYbecauseofBS View Post
    So just a general light lager that is going to try to sell based on nostalgia. Didn't they do that with doughnuts recently as well?
    Freddy's.....

I think my Grandfather drove a fork truck while he worked there. I have vague memories of going with him/uncles where he worked. I would have been no older than 6 or 7. They closed about 1971

Freddy's.....

I think my Grandfather drove a fork truck while he worked there. I have vague memories of going with him/uncles where he worked. I would have been no older than 6 or 7. They closed about 1971
    That's it.

It's crazy that the IP for these places is lost. How hard is it to save some paper. It's not like it was the middle ages.

Georgia L Schlager

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    I wonder who sat and said.... Let's make a beer recipe but label it Iroquois Beer even though it's not the Iroquois Beer recipe.

I wonder who sat and said.... Let's make a beer recipe but label it Iroquois Beer even though it's not the Iroquois Beer recipe.
    They must have had too many member berries

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by leftWNYbecauseofBS View Post
    That's it.

It's crazy that the IP for these places is lost. How hard is it to save some paper. It's not like it was the middle ages.
    Good point. Well unless the head beer chef literally kept the recipe in their head.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Well this is cool. While visiting my mom I skimmed some of her shelves

I don't know what year this is but it's old. I should have looked at the bottom for an expiration date

Vintage Iroquois Beer

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    This was cool to.

Vintage Iroquois Beer

Never been open. I wonder if the beer could be reverse engineered so real Iroquois beer could be made.

Vintage Iroquois Beer

My mom told me she has a Iroquois beer barrel from a family bar sitting in the basement. I'll have to check that out.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Vintage Iroquois beer contest

$25,000 Iroquois BEERSTAKES

Vintage Iroquois Beer Advertisement

7-Day Caribbean Cruise for 4 aboard luxury Liner, S. S. Queen Frederica

SS Malolo (later known as Matsonia, Atlantic, and Queen Frederica) was an American ocean liner and cruise ship built by William Cramp & Sons, Philadelphia in 1926 for the Matson Line. She was the first of a number of ships designed by William Francis Gibbs for the line, which did much to develop tourism in the Hawaiian Islands. In 1927 Matson commissioned its largest ship yet, the Malolo (flying fish) for the first-class luxury service between San Francisco, Los Angeles, and Honolulu. The Malolo and other Matson liners advertised superb public rooms, spacious cabins, swimming pools, a gymnasium, and a staff, including a hairdresser, to provide a high standard of service.[2]
    Does anyone remember the Queen Fredrika?

PLUS!

Custom Craft Catamaran and MErc 850 Outboard Motor

I forget to look at the date of the paper. I wonder what year boat that was.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    I wonder if the add would be considered politically incorrect today.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Couldn't fill out the contest form online

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information