Thread: Kanas City closing schools

Kanas City closing schools

By HEATHER HOLLINGSWORTH, Associated Press Writer Heather Hollingsworth Associated Press Writer

KANSAS CITY, Mo. – Kansas City School Superintendent John Covington says the decision to close almost half the district's schools was difficult and painful but "unquestionably the right thing to do."
    The Kansas City school board voted 5-4 Wednesday night to close 29 of the district's 61 schools in an effort to stave off bankruptcy. The schools will close at the end of the school year.

There is hope for New York State after all. If the Kansas City school board has the courage to close some of the schools. Maybe our political leaders will take note and do something to stave off the pending bankruptcy of our cities, counties and our state. The spending of money we don't have must stop and it must start somewhere why not the star with the school systems?

It will be very interesting to see how the closing of the Kansas City schools turns out after the entrenched public unions start their scare campaign using the area media.
    Russia didn't make me vote for Trump, Hillary did.

""Closing schools and making the remaining schools much stronger academically is unquestionably the right thing to do. We were operating far too many schools," he said.

He said the district was only using about 60 percent of the seats in its elementary schools, 40 percent in its middle schools and an even smaller percentage in its high schools."

Their should be no arguing closing schools when you using less than 50% of the space!

"Covington said the closures were the first phase of "right-sizing" a district where enrollments have plummeted from more than 35,000 in the 1999-2000 school year to about 17,000 in 2009-10."
    "I know you guys enjoy reading my stuff because it all makes sense. "

Dumbest post ever! Thanks for the laugh PO!

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    What is the enrollment with our local schools? Drop in kids? gain?

37,000 currently with Elementary:50 High School:18 Adult Ed:2 schools.

2001 46,034 student enrolled.

2001 budget was $509 million ($11K per student)
    2009 budget was $798 Million ( $21K per student)

http://nl.newsbank.com/nl-search/we/...ckval=GooglePM

Quote Originally Posted by Dougles View Post
    37,000 currently with Elementary:50 High School:18 Adult Ed:2 schools.

2001 46,034 student enrolled.

2001 budget was $509 million ($11K per student)
    2009 budget was $798 Million ( $21K per student)

http://nl.newsbank.com/nl-search/we/...ckval=GooglePM

Ok, but temper that with the fact that we're adding in a $1 billion capital improvement project.

When your schools are 100 years old, such expenditures are absolutely inevitable. It will happen to all school districts eventually.
    But your being a dick
    ~Wnyresident

Quote Originally Posted by run4it View Post
    Ok, but temper that with the fact that we're adding in a $1 billion capital improvement project.

When your schools are 100 years old, such expenditures are absolutely inevitable. It will happen to all school districts eventually.
    Close the older ones! The BPS have lost 25% of their students but have the same number of schools...

Quote Originally Posted by Dougles View Post
    Close the older ones! The BPS have lost 25% of their students but have the same number of schools...
    a)I believe we HAVE closed a few buildings, and b)I thought we wanted to end bussing? If you close the neighborhood school, those kids will have to be bussed to a different place.

Hey Keboard...mind chiming in? What are the logistics of consolidating schools and rooms?
    But your being a dick
    ~Wnyresident

Bus Drivers

Close the schools and save money. The city now has enough bus drivers to bus the students.
    Russia didn't make me vote for Trump, Hillary did.

a)I believe we HAVE closed a few buildings, and b)I thought we wanted to end bussing? If you close the neighborhood school, those kids will have to be bussed to a different place.

Hey Keboard...mind chiming in? What are the logistics of consolidating schools and rooms?
    I think the bussing people are talking about is cross city bussing. like bussing a kid from the east side to NB when they have a school down the street.

Sorry, the number does not include capital improvements. Oh and btw, we (school district) are over 1 billion and looking to borrow more.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Lackawanna View Post
    Close the schools and save money. The city now has enough bus drivers to bus the students.
    mr.L, wait, wait, what would happen to the teachers that will lose their jobs if they close the schools? Phil Rumore and the union will never let that happen....... ok close schools but keep all the teachers

God must love stupid people; He made so many

Thread Information