Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Clarence creates new zoning district

Quote Originally Posted by leftWNYbecauseofBS View Post

What I don't like is when people try and force their will on others. ... ... ... These are people that think if they are loud enough and put enough pressure on the right people...they can force their way. Which is sadly true.

=
    Soooo, like, um, many many developers, right. But, wait, a homeowner (one or more) shouldn't "fight" to keep their area like they want it? But a developer can "fight" to change an area?

Quote Originally Posted by Member 2358 View Post
    Soooo, like, um, many many developers, right. But, wait, a homeowner (one or more) shouldn't "fight" to keep their area like they want it? But a developer can "fight" to change an area?

What you don't seem to grasp is that it all comes down to property owners. A developer is a property owner...just like a homeowner. They pay taxes and they contribute to where the property is located.

What you seem to be doing here is trying to classify homeowners as having more rights than nonresidential owners or that they have a claim to property that they do not own or pay taxes on. This is the epitome of the NIMBY mindset.

There are zoning rules that are designed to manage how a municipality grows. It's one thing to be against a project because it does not follow zoning patterns or rules. I support these efforts. It's another thing to use pressue to block development that does follow the rules but does not suit a personal preference. I dislike these efforts.

It's pretty cut and dry actually.

Quote Originally Posted by grump View Post
    Gee Leftie, I’m a baby boomer and I can’t think of a single friend of mine who is begging a grandchild to take care of them.
    Oh really?

How about we restructure Social Security then? How about Medicare? You greyhairs sure do love your entitlement programs.

You know the program that's being funded by the grandkids today and unlikely to pay out a dime in the future for them. Just because Gramps isn't asking their grandkids for money doesn't mean he isn't screwing them over in the long run....

In fact one of the leading topics among my crowd is the best way to set aside $$$ to help provide education for their grandkids.
    You didn't need to set aside money. What needed to happen was your generation not f*cking up the education system to the point where it caused massive loads of debt to obtain a higher degree. How much did it cost you to get your degree? My father paid for his with a summer job. Mine cost well over six figures.

What changed? It was on your watch.....

And just for the record, while my friends have been fairly successful, none of us is what I’d consider wealthy. There are some in my crowd who have millenials in the line of succession who are still living at home, jobless, basically useless and expecting others to provide for them. But that’s the nature of that group, I guess.
    They are living at home because homes don't cost the same amount as a car.

Your generation was given the golden goose by your parents and in 40 or so years you messed up everything. Instead of handing off a better economy, infrastructure and the like you spent money like drunken sailors in port and kicked the can down the line.

Now the bill is due and you have the audacity to mock kids who have to shoulder the burden of your mess... Pretty poor taste if you ask me.

... it all comes down to property owners...
    Hold the phone whippersnapper. Are you suggesting that property owners should only have a say and/or input over the specific parcel(s) that they own? Nothing more. Nothing less.

Well, living at home with mommy and daddy doesn’t cost as much as a car when you’re not working and not contributing to the household but sitting all day playing games on your idiot device. You’re right. School was cheaper back in the day. I paid for undergraduate and graduate school without debt. Want to know the really funny part...we got a better education than you did. We had faculty who were true thinkers and teachers instead of leftovers from the 60’s who couldn’t hack it in the real world and spend their time cranking out warmed over Marxism as academic research. You apparently aren’t aware of this but neither social security nor Medicare/Medicaid is a product of the baby boomer generation. Social Security was the brainchild of Franklin Roosevelt who was president before the first boomers graced the world with their presence. The Medicare/Medicaid debacle was the product of LBJ, a president when boomers were just children and had no right to vote. As for restructuring social security and Medicare, I’ll go you one better. Find a way to get it on the ballot to repeal them and you’ll have my vote in a heartbeat.

Well, living at home with mommy and daddy doesn’t cost as much as a car when you’re not working and not contributing to the household but sitting all day playing games on your idiot device.

Well I am sure they would love to work but the problem is baby boomers won't leave the workforce... Why? Because you fools didn't save for retirement and now are unable to retire.

You’re right. School was cheaper back in the day. I paid for undergraduate and graduate school without debt. Want to know the really funny part...we got a better education than you did. We had faculty who were true thinkers and teachers instead of leftovers from the 60’s who couldn’t hack it in the real world and spend their time cranking out warmed over Marxism as academic research.
    You do realize that you're proving my point right? The crappy college professors are of the boomer generation. Your generation.

Instead of going out in the world and doing something...your weak generation hid on college campuses and ran what was once the greatest education system into the ground. You may find it funny but it's really just sad and pathetic.

You apparently aren’t aware of this but neither social security nor Medicare/Medicaid is a product of the baby boomer generation. Social Security was the brainchild of Franklin Roosevelt who was president before the first boomers graced the world with their presence. The Medicare/Medicaid debacle was the product of LBJ, a president when boomers were just children and had no right to vote. As for restructuring social security and Medicare, I’ll go you one better. Find a way to get it on the ballot to repeal them and you’ll have my vote in a heartbeat.

I understand they are not the product of the boomer generation. As I said before, it's REFORMS to the entitlement systems that are the issue with boomers.

Of course I know the situation in many college classrooms. As you know I spent a piece of my career there. And you’re right, members of the boomer generation who turned university classrooms into a type of orphanage for hippies who couldn’t grow up are the cause of most of the decay of higher education. I’ve always acknowledged that. But to say that the boomer generation accomplished nothing is to deny a history so recent and obvious that even one of those hippie profs might realize it. If you want those social programs reformed so badly why don’t the gen X types and the millenials just do it. You surely outnumber the boomers. Changing those programs should be as simple as snapping your fingers to two generations who performed such economic miracles as changing the name of a taxi cab ride to “ride sharing” and claimed it was some type of revolutionary discovery. As for boomers still working, ours is the first generation to really benefit from the massive improvements in health care, largely brought about by boomers I might add. We’re healthier longer and can work longer so we do. All I hear about is how innovative, entrepreneurial and clever X’ers and millenials are. Try using all these wonderful traits to create some work for yourselves instead of living in mommy’s basement. And pumping coffee at Starbucks and demanding free range chicken ain’t really economic development.
    Last edited by grump; February 21st, 2018 at 08:15 PM.

Seems to be a fair amount of yapping about 'the problem with various generations'. Here's the deal, those generations that follow boomers suck at problem solving. That's it. In the context of the zoning discussion here... these youngsters haven't a clue about how to solve the problems of changing lifestyle habits. Beyond that, like most every generation that came before them, they just do not want to honor the mature knowledge of their elders. Just facts. I'm sure humanity will survive.

Suck at problem solving? Hell, they suck at the routine skills of day to day life. I read an article in one of the New York papers awhile back about an app designed to help millenials make friends because interacting with their peers was proving to be such a daunting task for them. I’ve actually interviewed some of these losers and I almost feel sorry for them. Many of them lack even rudimentary social and interpersonal communication skills. This is bound to happen to a generation whose universe is defined by a cell phone or tablet.

But to say that the boomer generation accomplished nothing is to deny a history so recent and obvious that even one of those hippie profs might realize it.

I guess you didn't learn the meaning of hyperbole. Both you and I are using it.

If you want those social programs reformed so badly why don’t the gen X types and the millenials just do it. You surely outnumber the boomers. Changing those programs should be as simple as snapping your fingers to two generations who performed such economic miracles as changing the name of a taxi cab ride to “ride sharing” and claimed it was some type of revolutionary discovery.
    Ya..you needed to lump Gen X in there for this to work out for you. I read the same data...

It's getting there. Like I said...just needs a bit more time before these types of votes do happen. Just wait until the bulk of millennials hit 30 and they still don't own a home because they are still paying down college. You think it was crazy when Trump got elected... They are going to go bannannas in voting.

As for boomers still working, ours is the first generation to really benefit from the massive improvements in health care, largely brought about by boomers I might add. We’re healthier longer and can work longer so we do. All I hear about is how innovative, entrepreneurial and clever X’ers and millenials are. Try using all these wonderful traits to create some work for yourselves instead of living in mommy’s basement. And pumping coffee at Starbucks and demanding free range chicken ain’t really economic development.
    Ya...no. Boomers are broke and need to work.

Seems to be a fair amount of yapping about 'the problem with various generations'. Here's the deal, those generations that follow boomers suck at problem solving. That's it. In the context of the zoning discussion here... these youngsters haven't a clue about how to solve the problems of changing lifestyle habits. Beyond that, like most every generation that came before them, they just do not want to honor the mature knowledge of their elders. Just facts. I'm sure humanity will survive.

No. Millennials just have a problem with boomers. Same for Gen X. Boomers are disliked by everyone. There were just so damn many of you but that's being fixed now. Like I said before, Boomers are in the middle of their mess right now. Instead of golden years spent in comfort they are either working or stuck in the same crappy house they have lived in for 50 years. There is not even a solution for this problem because you can't go back in time and not spend money like a drunk sailor.

Anyways, you two can be as smug as you want. I just hope you have enough money saved away to not need anyone. Your days of living independently are numbered and it's those that you are mocking that soon will be asked to take care of you. Only then will you fully realize the balance due for a life of squander.

Leftie, I hope you’re at the voting booth to teach all these outraged millenials how to vote. Most of the ones I’ve interviewed can’t wipe their own ass without a gps device to help them find it. One thing 2358 is absolutely right about is the lack of problem solving skills in millenials. The data are finally beginning to prove the corrosive effect of constant internet exposure on deep reading, deep thinking and linear problem solving skills. You might be able to lead the millenials to the polls but for many of them the task of scribbling in those little circles will be so overwhelming that they’ll run right back to mommy’s basement and the safety of their internet games.

No. Millennials just have a problem with boomers. Same for Gen X. Boomers are disliked by everyone. There were just so damn many of you but that's being fixed now. Like I said before, Boomers are in the middle of their mess right now. Instead of golden years spent in comfort they are either working or stuck in the same crappy house they have lived in for 50 years. There is not even a solution for this problem because you can't go back in time and not spend money like a drunk sailor.

Anyways, you two can be as smug as you want. I just hope you have enough money saved away to not need anyone. Your days of living independently are numbered and it's those that you are mocking that soon will be asked to take care of you. Only then will you fully realize the balance due for a life of squander.
    The Baby Boom occurred across the United States. Not just in WNY. And mobility (among other circumstances) co-mingled boomers from every background.

And, once you exceeded logic and passed into moderate delusion-like assertions, you lost your credibility. Youth can never have the wisdom and perspective of those older.

The Baby Boom occurred across the United States. Not just in WNY. And mobility (among other circumstances) co-mingled boomers from every background.
    And boomers made a mess everywhere.

Just look at California and Prop 13 that was passed in the hight of Boomer power. Now CA has houses essentially out of the tax base when you look at their value and they can't fund anything.

And boomers made a mess everywhere.

Just look at California and Prop 13 that was passed in the hight of Boomer power. Now CA has houses essentially out of the tax base when you look at their value and they can't fund anything.
    Kiddo, aside from being selectively incomplete, that is essentially meaningless. I get the sense that you have limited perspective on overall goings on. Name a generation, and there can be called out some ill-advised direction. Humanity survives. Bobbing & weaving in an attempt to demand being right causes overstepping and results in disqualified arguments. Good debate skills - for those that want to debate - are important. I have no interest (anymore) in debate.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information