Thread: I read somewhere that our town wanted to go electric for vehicles

Tony Fracasso - Admin

I read somewhere that our town wanted to go electric for vehicles

California City Leaders Wasted $10 Million Buying ‘Green’ Police Cars They Don’t Use

It appears that the Los Angeles Police Department likes the idea of electric vehicles, but its officers don’t actually enjoy driving them.

A local KCBS investigation revealed that millions of dollars the department spent on electric vehicles have been largely wasted, with many of the cars leased sitting idle in garages and going untouched.

The discovery is a major flop for the California city, where local leaders have spent millions in an effort to turn the government more green.
    Go watch the video

https://www.westernjournal.com/calif...ign=manualpost

Quote Originally Posted by WNYresident View Post
    California City Leaders Wasted $10 Million Buying ‘Green’ Police Cars They Don’t Use

Go watch the video

https://www.westernjournal.com/calif...ign=manualpost
    So stupid Dems thinking, we don't see police cars now making them electric without charging stations we will never see police cars on the street at all in fact; i see them at Tim Horton's at least once a week.
    Riven37
    _________
    All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent. Thomas Jefferson

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    So the town is trying to qualify to get a $250,000 smart energy grant.

So it's a competition that you are qualifying for not a grant. You can qualify for the grant but from reading this doesn't mean you will get the grant. Costly entry fee. I wonder how many other towns are in the running.

I wonder what type of maintenance cost a vehicle like this has.

Looks like the price wasn't all that bad either.

Interesting

At 20 bucks per week to rent the battery I don't see the savings in going electric.
    and

OK, here is where we stand. MB says the cost of the pack is north of $20k. The BAP is 120 months (10 years) and is $80/mo = $9600. BAP begins on the initial delivery and continues across all owners till its maturity date. The next owner must continue the program or pay $5010 to keep the battery in the car. Dealers have a 4 month window where MB will cover the BAP monthly fee before the dealers have to pick up the cost. When sold at auction the buyer must sign some paper agreeing to either continue the program or pay the $5k fee.

So, looks like I have BAP. Here's where this works for me: I'm only on the hook for about 94mo of payments, for a total of $7520. BAP DOES NOT COVER THE ANNUAL BATTERY CHECK. You must pay for that out of pocket, speaking to the local dealer that's $150 for a one-wrench and $300 for a two-wrench. They replace that dessicant filter and at the two wrench do the brake flush. It's expensive, but, it amounts to a total added cost of $2250 over the life of BAP. That brings total BAP cost to $11850. That's still less than the $20,000 pricetag of the battery, and if you drop below 41 Amp Hours in an annual test, you get a new battery pack. I speculate that in two years time you will find some owners may get a replacement pack with more than 17.5 kWh capacity as the vendor of the pack, Tesla, does rolling updates on all their products at no extra cost to customers.

I'm talking with the selling dealership about paying for the first half-year of BAP ($480, basically covers the cost of shipping it to me) since they didn't disclose this to me before purchase.
    http://www.smartcarofamerica.com/for...-smart-114162/

The Central Garage foreman purchased the car with his Town issued credit card. Ms. Benczkowski said the charge would be paid off at the next board meeting through a Voucher and Warrant resolution.
    I hope they did some legitimate research on this.

To become a Clean Energy Community and clinch the grant, the Town just needs to show they reduced greenhouse gas emissions from Town buildings by 10%.
    Won't happen with that one car purchase.

How does that one car effect "gas emissions from Town Buildings by 10%"

Wouldn't that be more based on our towns furnaces and hot water heaters etc?

As a property owner it would be nice if they would work around the clock to keep people from fleeing our town and reducing the cost of living in Cheektowaga.

I wonder how the "collective" working on this project came up that they are saving 9% so far.

If I remember correctly the town was awarded this grant.

UPDATE: They did as per this [link removed]
    Last edited by Electric Eye; January 22nd, 2018 at 05:08 PM.

Thread Information