Thread: Who Wants To Stick It To The (Property) Tax Man?

Who Wants To Stick It To The (Property) Tax Man?

Tom Golisano is looking to file a class action law suit against unfair property tax. I wonder if this will benefit me - in Amherst?

https://www.taxmypropertyfairly.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Member 2358 View Post
    Tom Golisano is looking to file a class action law suit against unfair property tax. I wonder if this will benefit me - in Amherst?

https://www.taxmypropertyfairly.com/
    Bully for him.,.. but something about Death and Taxes. The only way to get the attention of these people is to move.

I am Dave Marrano, the Town Assessor, While Golisano's website is well done and informative, the Class action law suit he mentions(if you paid less than the Assessment for your home in the last five years , he wants to engage in a class action lawsuit) is really not needed.

Most Assessors, and specifically myself in Amherst, if a property owner pays less than the current Assessment on a property, and the sale was Arms Length(Willing Buyer and seller, not a sale between relatives, related parties, foreclose, estate sale), I will gladly lower it, A simple call to our office, and a letter from you will get that accomplished.

Please note I can not do the same if you pay more than Assessed value, unless the town is in the year of a townwide update. The benefit sits with the property owner on this.

Any questions, please call me at 631-7038(office) or 260-5487 -cell

Thanks
    Dave Marrano

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Thank you for the answer Dave.

I'll have to remember that if my next house is in Amherst and I get lucky enough to buy at a price below assessed value
    Vote for freedom, not political parties.
    Politicians need to cut spending

The problem with Marrano’s statement is that you have to take the initiative even though he receives sale price informational through the equalization form which you pay to file at closing, the purpose of which is specifically to provide him with current sale price data. Personally, I would have no problem with immediately increasing the assessment on purchases for greater than market value. These data should be updated real time if possible so that spreading the tax is done equitably.

Originally posted by grump:
    Personally, I would have no problem with immediately increasing the assessment on purchases for greater than market value. These data should be updated real time if possible so that spreading the tax is done equitably.
    I agree, grump. It doesn't seem fair that someone could purchase a house for $440k and pay taxes on a full market value of $376k without having a full town reassessment to be able to assess at purchase price.
    That certainly is a state law that needs changing in the interest of fairness and equity.

Georgia L Schlager

So, let me ask...

I went to the TOA's assessment website. Put my house address in. Looked at the so-called 'comparable' listing with whatever default settings are in place. Every single house listed was lower than mine... by at least 15.3%. Every single one. I understand that someone has to be the highest... but, trust me, my house is not that much more valuable than the others. No freakin' way! I'd say it's on the low side of average.

So, how does this happen?... and how do I address it? Thanks in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by Member 2358 View Post
    So, let me ask...

I went to the TOA's assessment website. Put my house address in. Looked at the so-called 'comparable' listing with whatever default settings are in place. Every single house listed was lower than mine... by at least 15.3%. Every single one. I understand that someone has to be the highest... but, trust me, my house is not that much more valuable than the others. No freakin' way! I'd say it's on the low side of average.

So, how does this happen?... and how do I address it? Thanks in advance.
    Make an appointment with the assessor's office and bring in the comparables. Maybe you'll have a shot at reducing yours

Georgia L Schlager

Member 2358

As Gorja mentions the best thing to do is set an appointment with my office(we will start taking these after 3/1/18) , and we can review the specifics of your house.Bring in properties that have recently sold that are of similar Style, size , age and neighborhood. If you are a 1960 built , 1000 sf Ranch, in Snyder, you want to find comparable sales that have sold like that in last 2 years - don't use Cape cods from the Village.
    As far as the comparable on our website, keep in mind that all comparable sales are adjusted , as they relate to the subject -Example:

Your house is 2000 sf Colonial , 1970 build, in Willow Ridge- all of the similar comparable sales from 2015-2017(same style, similar age, same neighborhood), but are all 1500 sf, and selling for $150K. We are going to use those comparable sales , but make adjustments to them when arriving at our estimate for your value since they are inferior(in this case 500 sf smaller) than yours.

Again , give us a call (631-7038) after march 1st. we will also have information on the Assessors page on the Town of Amherst Website. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DMarrano View Post
    Member 2358

As Gorja mentions the best thing to do is set an appointment with my office(we will start taking these after 3/1/18) , and we can review the specifics of your house.Bring in properties that have recently sold that are of similar Style, size , age and neighborhood. If you are a 1960 built , 1000 sf Ranch, in Snyder, you want to find comparable sales that have sold like that in last 2 years - don't use Cape cods from the Village.
    As far as the comparable on our website, keep in mind that all comparable sales are adjusted , as they relate to the subject -Example:

Your house is 2000 sf Colonial , 1970 build, in Willow Ridge- all of the similar comparable sales from 2015-2017(same style, similar age, same neighborhood), but are all 1500 sf, and selling for $150K. We are going to use those comparable sales , but make adjustments to them when arriving at our estimate for your value since they are inferior(in this case 500 sf smaller) than yours.

Again , give us a call (631-7038) after march 1st. we will also have information on the Assessors page on the Town of Amherst Website. Thanks
    Got it. Thank you.

I can't help but think this is kinda onerous on the property owner. I believe that in the past, assessors (in general) acknowledge that they can't do a specific (accurate, valid, reliable, and repeatable) assessment on every property. So, there is a certain amount of guesswork, estimation, assumption, and generalization rolled into the (initial) valuation. I'm not convinced that leads to "ensuring" to any high degree that a property owner is paying their so-called fair-share. In fact, it more closely sets the stage for property owners to not pay their fair-share.

It seems to me that the starting point should be a self-evaluation (based on published guidelines) of the property value by the owner (with some default convention, in the event of non-response). And then the Assessor is burdened to challenge (if they so choose) and prove their case.

Why not?

Thread Information