Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 1-16-18 Board meeting

Quote Originally Posted by MaddMatt View Post
    I guess I am a little confused about the role that the members of this forum wants the board to play. I

I hear that we want outsiders to run and I did. I was not involved in politics until 3 years ago, so maybe I am a little green. That comes from being a businessman and not a politician. The inner workngs of the hiring process at each department was not something I had researched prior to being elected. I would venture to bet that the same could be said for every candidate. I have no intention of being a lifelong politician. I ran because I felt I could help my community.That remains my focus.

I hear that politics shouldn't come into the hiring process and yet you say board members should be more involved in the day to day hiring in departments? When I was COO of a 7 store retail chain, I didn't get involved in hiring at the store level. I didn't tell my managers who to hire because I didn't have to work side by side, day in and day out with these employees. I trusted my managers to hire the best candidates for the position. I believe that department heads should be responsible for hiring as they know best the qualifications of each position. On some department hirings, I will request more information on the applicants or the qualifications sought when I feel I have something meaningful to contribute to the conversation. In the case of the police department specifically, I trust our Chiefs and Captains to want the best officers representing and protecting our community and hire accordingly.

I hear that you want to have access to board members and I give it. But when you don't agree with my answers, I am called disingenuous, naive or worse. Someone told me a few months back that members of this forum just want to beat up on local politicians so they will withdraw. Then they have a case for saying that politicians aren't accessible or transparent. I have staunchly defended the contributors here and the venue that SpeakupWNY provides. I promised to stick around to contribute as much as I can and I will.

Matthew Walter
    Lancaster Town Council
    Good morning Matt,

Thank you for your presence on speakup. My thoughts, as irrelevant as they are, outsiders to run for politics-are you considering yourself an outsider? Any person who resides in the town that takes a courageous step to run for a political seat, IMO is not an outsider-this makes them the perfect person to try. What you might be stating here is, someone new to politics and is naïve to the phrase *politics is a blood sport* therefore, fight dirty to win.

Hiring is a very political process-nepotism is another version of the *friend & family* employment agency. Example, Bob Giza's grandson was hired as a police officer over some very qualified applicants. Tom Irish was hired to fulfill a promise to a past council member, Chief Gill's son was hired as a police officer (we know how that worked out) and I could make a longer list but I don't have time for that, but Matt you get the picture.

Police got political during Fudoli's re-election campaign-that will never be forgotten to the Lancaster taxpayers. Yes, the residents of Lancaster does and will continue to question the hiring process Chief Gill is in charge of. It does not make much sense that a person who is a young officer is hired over their local neighboring officers who are experienced on the job. If fighting the drug epidemic and increased crime or whatever the reasons are, an experienced officer would be more of a realistic choice. But then again, we are not certain to the details of why this young officer was hired over experienced officers.....

Taxpayers will always be interested in how their money is spent. Taxpayers will always ask the hard questions knowing we will not like the answer.

Thank you Matt for sharing, but we have predicted & observed the patterns of our current board, past and present. This practice is same old Lancaster politics.

shortstuff;1780056

Hiring is a very political process-nepotism is another version of the *friend & family* employment agency.

Sometime I feel that the self-appointed "elites" in Lancaster view both the entities of the village, and the town, as their own private social club, and offer little or no assimilation to the plebeian resident.

The fundamental problem with their defined "social club," is that it is tax subsidized.
    Last edited by mark blazejewski; February 4th, 2018 at 11:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by shortstuff View Post
    Good morning Matt,

Thank you for your presence on speakup. My thoughts, as irrelevant as they are, outsiders to run for politics-are you considering yourself an outsider? Any person who resides in the town that takes a courageous step to run for a political seat, IMO is not an outsider-this makes them the perfect person to try. What you might be stating here is, someone new to politics and is naïve to the phrase *politics is a blood sport* therefore, fight dirty to win.

Hiring is a very political process-nepotism is another version of the *friend & family* employment agency. Example, Bob Giza's grandson was hired as a police officer over some very qualified applicants. Tom Irish was hired to fulfill a promise to a past council member, Chief Gill's son was hired as a police officer (we know how that worked out) and I could make a longer list but I don't have time for that, but Matt you get the picture.

Police got political during Fudoli's re-election campaign-that will never be forgotten to the Lancaster taxpayers. Yes, the residents of Lancaster does and will continue to question the hiring process Chief Gill is in charge of. It does not make much sense that a person who is a young officer is hired over their local neighboring officers who are experienced on the job. If fighting the drug epidemic and increased crime or whatever the reasons are, an experienced officer would be more of a realistic choice. But then again, we are not certain to the details of why this young officer was hired over experienced officers.....

Taxpayers will always be interested in how their money is spent. Taxpayers will always ask the hard questions knowing we will not like the answer.

Thank you Matt for sharing, but we have predicted & observed the patterns of our current board, past and present. This practice is same old Lancaster politics.
    Good post, shortstuff. You expressed some very valid points.

Georgia L Schlager

Well said Shortstuff! There are many to point out .I remind you of the shuffling of a Chris Giza Job hiring at the Village of Lancaster job that he had struggles with and could not complete.Chris was then " traded " to the Village of Depew for a job which he sits at now( Not even a resident). The town and village of Lancaster had 2 people involved in that "jobs trade". Put the puzzle together now. Who is Chris Giza's father? Who did Ron Ruffino thank for his campaign success? Debts must be paid ! Matt, I do not blame you for these trades or hirings but can you see why there is reason for concerns and lack of transparency?

I am not so sure that transparency is the complete answer.

How about revising hiring guidelines to reflect anti-nepotism safeguards, with teeth? If the existing systems permits such nepotism, transparency only informs the public that those privileges are being applied.

A persons last name or affliation should not guarantee or bar them being hired. The most qualified person should get the job. The jobs should be posted publicly for all Lancaster residents to see and apply if then want to. They should not be hidden away and opened at a meeting like a political Christmas present as they have in the past. What is disappointing is an employee in the clerks office takes their retirement, which they are owed, but is hired back at full pay days later. I hope they have thought of cross training the employees and bringing up someone to fill in or take over in case of retirement , injury, illness,or death.

Originally posted by Greg Sojka:
    What is disappointing is an employee in the clerks office takes their retirement, which they are owed, but is hired back at full pay days later. I hope they have thought of cross training the employees and bringing up someone to fill in or take over in case of retirement , injury, illness,or death.
    At the January 2, 2018 work session, the town clerk stated that her staff is cross trained which helped out in taking in the $1.7 million in prepaid taxes in December. Even a secretary from the supervisor's office was assisting.

You can listen at 1:30 https://cloudup.com/cjfkfw3Ib4W

Georgia L Schlager

Greg Sojka;1780233]A persons last name or affliation should not guarantee or bar them being hired.
    Absent any significant distinctions, based on objective measure, separating a candidate with overtones of "nepotism," from one who holds no such overtones, I'll disagree as to the last name or relationships.

Regarding elected officials responsible for confirming an applicant, or contract agent, and/or those who have direct input into the hiring and subsequent supervisory authority over the applicant/employee/agent, there is, at the very least, the possibility of a perceived conflict of interest.

That sort of thing does NOT apply to the private sector, where such a practice is acceptable, or perhaps even desirable, but it does seem incumbent upon those holding the public trust, elected or appointed, that they have a duty to assuage the intangible concern(s) regarding the appearance of a conflict of interest, and to always strive to foster public confidence.

Just my opinion Greg.
    Last edited by mark blazejewski; February 5th, 2018 at 05:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mark blazejewski View Post
    Absent any significant distinctions, based on objective measure, separating a candidate with overtones of "nepotism," from one who holds no such overtones, I'll disagree as to the last name or relationships.

Regarding elected officials responsible for confirming an applicant, or contract agent, and/or those who have direct input into the hiring and subsequent supervisory authority over the applicant/employee/agent, there is, at the very least, the possibility of a perceived conflict of interest.

That sort of thing does NOT apply to the private sector, where such a practice is acceptable, or perhaps even desirable, but it does seem incumbent upon those holding the public trust, elected or appointed, that they have a duty to assuage the intangible concern(s) regarding the appearance of a conflict of interest, and to always strive to foster public confidence.

Just my opinion Greg.
    Mark, what a GREAT post. I totally agree.
    Just the mere appearance of a conflict of interest should be avoided by an individual in the position of public trust. IMHO

Georgia L Schlager

Quote Originally Posted by gorja View Post
    At the January 2, 2018 work session, the town clerk stated that her staff is cross trained which helped out in taking in the $1.7 million in prepaid taxes in December. Even a secretary from the supervisor's office was assisting.

You can listen at 1:30 https://cloudup.com/cjfkfw3Ib4W
    Thanks for the link.

This particular case is a tricky one as the clerk's office and supervisor's office both have employees that deal with sensitive information and their job classifications cannot be shared outside those parameters. So it would be difficult for a clerk typist in, say, the Highway department to be cross trained with payroll since they wouldn't have the proper classification.

In discussions with the highway & Rec Dept's as well as Clerk's and Supervisor's offices, it appears that many employees are cross trained.

Matthew J Walter
    Lancaster Town Council

Quote Originally Posted by gorja View Post
    The only thing this inquiring mind would like to know is this.
    Was Mr Carcaci hired due to a family relationship on the force or did he out qualify everyone else?
    All:

Last night I was able to meet with the chiefs and captains to discuss the recent officer hirings.

They confirmed that his brother is also an patrolman on the force and has been for around 3 years. That being said they assured me that had nothing to do with the hiring nor should it. He was hired based on his merits, his psychological and physical exam results, research into his history and job performance and extensive interviews by the top brass.

The most recent hire last night, Officer Szwartz, went through the same process and was also determined to be the best fit for the department. He will be transferring after over 2 years in the Lockport Police Department.

It is my understanding that we still have one vacancy to fill and the chief and captains are working hard to fill that position as soon as possible.

Matthew J Walter
    Lancaster Town Board

MaddMatt;1780473]All:

Last night I was able to meet with the chiefs and captains to discuss the recent officer hirings.

They confirmed that his brother is also an patrolman on the force and has been for around 3 years. That being said they assured me that had nothing to do with the hiring nor should it. He was hired based on his merits, his psychological and physical exam results, research into his history and job performance and extensive interviews by the top brass.
    Councilman Walter,

I am not going to revisit the issues involving this case. Rather, my comments have an eye on the future.

In order to avoid just this type of suspicion in the future, do you think it is time that serious consideration be given to some sort of "reform" of the town's hiring practice(s), visa v the appearances of "nepotism" and "conflict of interest?"

I accept your comments as sincerely conveyed, and I take them at face value. But frankly, and this is not a slam at you, but at the "system" you are dealing with (I am tempted to say the swamp you are wadding through, but I won't), the comments that you relate, apparently from your sources, appear to be, IMHO, somewhat scripted in presentation, subjective in substance, and dismissive in tone. I understand that you can "only work with what you got," but perhaps you could start a new conversation.

I understand that you can "only work with what you got," but perhaps you could re-ignite the rather dormant issue, by building off the foundation of ideas conveyed here on Speak Up, or those ideas of previous committed actors.

Again, my impressions are not reflective of your specific person, but of a "system" which I believe needs remediation.
    Last edited by mark blazejewski; February 6th, 2018 at 03:20 PM.

[QUOTE=MaddMatt;1780473]

Thanks for the effort and information you provided. After listening to last night’s town board meeting and from your provided comments some clarification of the hiring process is made, but questions still remain.

Unlike past police hirings it appears the town board had no involvement with the process and left the vetting process entirely in the hands of the police department’s upper brass. It is one thing to say that patronage was not in play here and that applicants were vetted, yet no information was provided as to applicants re they’re qualifications or who the top candidates were for consideration. I have yet to hear reasons for what made the Rochester candidate so special that he got appointed and others in the community were overlooked.

The most recent hire last night, Officer Szwartz, went through the same process and was also determined to be the best fit for the department. He will be transferring after over 2 years in the Lockport Police Department.
    Rochester vs. Lockport, 3 years experience vs. 3 months on the force is night and day.

It is my understanding that we still have one vacancy to fill and the chief and captains are working hard to fill that position as soon as possible.
    Please explain the vacancy regarding need and where. I remember that the force number was highest in 2012 with the following demographic:

P3120 POLICE - 2012

.1 Personal Services
    .100 Chief (1) 107,502
    .100 Captains (2) 179,824
    .100 Lieutenants (7) 550,690
    .100 Detective Lieutenant (1) 80,045
    .100 Detectives (7) 498,806
    .100 School Resource Officer (2) 142,516
    .100 Patrol (30) 2,019,600

Total - 50

In 2013, the force was reduced to 49 sworn officers.

P3120 POLICE - 2013

.1 Personal Services
    .100 Chief (1)
    .100 Captains (2)
    .100 Lieutenants (8)
    .100 Detective Lieutenant (1)
    .100 Detectives (7)
    .100 School Resource Officer (2)
    .100 Patrol (28)

Total – 49

It remained that way until the 2018 budget:

P3120 POLICE - 2018

.1 Personal Services
    .100 Chief (1) 118,691
    .100 Captains (2) 198,538
    .100 Lieutenants (9) 766,395
    .100 Detective Lieutenant (1) 86,644
    .100 Detectives (7) 539,924
    .100 School Resource Officer (2) 154,264
    .100 Patrol (28) 2,040,332
    Total - 50

So what is the current number of sworn officers and what is the distribution. Why more brass and less patrol? Why the addition of two police officers and the need for another? Has crime increased in Lancaster? Is it because of increased substance abuse calls; and how would we know when the police tell us nothing about number of calls/types and especially on where Lancaster stands on the opioid crisis. I can’t get any concrete explanation from any source except the reply ‘It’s bad.”

Simply put Matt, after all the hirings, promotions and retirements is the force still at 49 and the additional hiring is to take the force back to 50 where it was in 2012? And, will the new hire be for patrol?

Quote Originally Posted by MaddMatt View Post
    All:

Matthew J Walter
    Lancaster Town Board
    Thanks Matt for following up. My only concern with Szwartz is a score of 85 on the exam.
    It seems to me that Lancaster use to look for the cream of the crop.

When young Giza took the test, one person received a 100, a big group of 95's and another group of 90's.

Georgia L Schlager

Amazing find Gorja and the scores to back it up . Lee, is this what you call cherry picking? This goes back to my comment DEBTS must be paid.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information