Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Will Monica Piga Wallace and John Bruso do the right thing?

It bothers me that just because some woman accuses someone of rape that everyone has the man guilty without a trial or anything. I don't watch TV. So maybe there has been evidence brought forth that I'm not aware of.
    I'm going to wait until there is a trial to form an opinion.

Georgia L Schlager

Quote Originally Posted by gorja View Post
    It bothers me that just because some woman accuses someone of rape that everyone has the man guilty without a trial or anything. I don't watch TV. So maybe there has been evidence brought forth that I'm not aware of.
    I'm going to wait until there is a trial to form an opinion.
    I quite agree Ms. Georgia. As I have observed on post #29 , I agree with the County Executive's caution when speaking of the criminal investigation:

With that being said, in the world of public discourse, the public trust/good governance considerations, must be kept separate from the criminal justice issues.

Poloncarz, Flynn and Howard all must thread a tricky needle when publicly addressing the criminal investigation's status and progress, and in public comments, must exercise caution and care in the interests of the ensuring due process and county liability.

One need only recall President Nixon's famous comments concerning Charles Manson while the legal process was underway, to understand how an obvious observation can ill-serve the broad interests of justice.

My more critical comments however, go to the broader issues of the taxpayer underwriting the costs of all of these "incidents," the seemingly promised leadership of candidates in the area of ethics reform, and the subsequent fulfillment of that promised leadership by the elected official.
    Last edited by mark blazejewski; January 23rd, 2018 at 07:30 PM.

[QUOTE=Greg Sojka;1777155]
    I have now Facebook messaged John Bruso in public regarding his stance on ethics, sexual harassment, and accepting political donations along with Mark Polonczar from Al Dirschberger who was recently arrested for rape. Legislator Bruso sent me a private message asking for my phone number to call me . I provided it. Still no response.
    Greg,

I equally share your passions, and I do hope that Legislator Bruso responds in the affirmative.

However, both of us must be somewhat understanding of the way in which Mr. Bruso may structure his repudiation. IMHO, it would be ill-advised for him to do so in such a way as to link the rebuke to the alleged criminal conduct.

There are no issues which can confront our leaders, including the frivolous spending of taxpayer dollars, that are more preciously held and properly exempt from politics, than those relating to the strict observation of our Constitutional liberties, due process, and the presumption of innocence in a criminal proceeding.

As such, it would seem to be wise for Mr. Bruso to return the donated money for reasons relating to County Executive Poloncarz's observations that he (Dirschberger) "failed to comply with county rules," and not to reference the criminal allegations.
    Last edited by mark blazejewski; January 23rd, 2018 at 10:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Sojka View Post
    Assembly woman Wallace answer was basically store bought vanilla. I have now Facebook messaged John Bruso in public regarding his stance on ethics, sexual harassment, and accepting political donations along with Mark Polonczar from Al Dirschberger who was recently arrested for rape. Legislator Bruso sent me a private message asking for my phone number to call me . I provided it. Still no response. I want to be clear this is not political. This is a crime and waste of taxpayer money for both parties. Getting this passed is not the political thing,it is the RIGHT thing.
    I agree with your position on this Gregg.

1. Give John time to get adjusted to render his opinion. But IMO, and I agree with you, this is black and white.
    2. Monica is well gifted in her language and how she delivers it to the public. She has adopted the political rhetoric most acquire in their second term of office. She had that down pat early....

Legislator John Brusp called me back last evening. We spoke about the concerns of using taxpayer money for sexual harassment lawsuits. He said he would speak with lynne Dixon. Today Lynne Dixon posted that the vote failed by a 3-2 vote . John and I both come from the private sector. I am glad John did not ignore me a fellow Lancaster resident taxpayer as others told him to. I am very disappointed this no brainer vote failed.

[QUOTE=Greg Sojka;1777710]
    We spoke about the concerns of using taxpayer money for sexual harassment lawsuits.
    Curious to know Greg if your conversation touched on the issue of Dirschberger's contributions to his campaign, and if so, how does he intend to dispose of the issue?

Today Lynne Dixon posted that the vote failed by a 3-2 vote .
    So much for ethics and ethics reform as a concern, at least on the part of Erie County Democrats.

I am very disappointed this no brainer vote failed.
    Elections have consequences.

Breezy, do you remember your words, written post #48, on the Lancaster Republican Party Chair Resigns Thread:

Of course anyone who follows politics around here knows full well the ethical sins of our current legislator, but for the ethical lapses to now involve staff, and staff of another politician, it's time to clean house.
    Well, Captain Bruso of the Ethics Calvary arrived on January 1. The Democrats have their majority in the Erie County Legislature.

So, what happened to the Dixon bill now that those ethics-committed leaders are in the majority? Hmmm?

You may also want to consider these words you wrote on post #57 on the Thread referred to above:

"I have absolutely no problem whatsoever standing up to these kinds of dreadful and awful politicians - unlike some of the political hacks you have supported and gleefully applaud without a care in the world of their well-known improprieties and lowdown deeds..."
    And these words:

Your words remind me of the whimpering political hacks who care more for the handouts from the political world and look the other way, when these dirty deeds unfold - as they have in far too many of these "local" offices where certain politicians hang out.
    And finally these words:

You bet I'll oppose the likes of...REGARDLESS OF PARTY.
    Now you and your Democrat buddies have the Erie County Legislature majority. What are you going to do with it, besides enjoy it?
    Last edited by mark blazejewski; January 25th, 2018 at 02:52 PM.

Ethics reform - seriously

Greg, you posted that Lynne Dixon’s proposal was shot down in committee by a 3-2 vote. Legislators discussed a proposal Thursday that would require the county administration to produce a report regarding all claims and settlements related to harassment and discrimination in county government over the past five years. The other proposal would ban the use of public money to settle harassment claims.

Legislator Lynne Dixon, I-Hamburg, and Lorigo, C-West Seneca voted to approve the measure. Who were the three Democrats that voted ‘no’?

While several posters on this thread advocate for ethics reform – as I do – we all have diverse thoughts on what reforms should take place. However, this is about politics and politicos have a different standard and set of values they adhere to. Self preservation and agenda are primary.

Look no further to the ethic policies / committees / purposefulness administered by the Town and Village of Lancaster. In the Town when the policy change and ethics committee was re-established, it was incorporated to be a watchdog of financial disclosure statements (only). One Town Board member openly stated at the time, “We don’t want anyone looking over our shoulder.” In my mind that has become the mantra of all New York State government agencies.

Outside of corruption and sexual abuse, where does one draw the line on unethical behavior; should this include patronage, campaign opponent slander, manipulation of facts and data, acting fiscally irresponsible to toe the party line, etc.

How long did it take to make public the taxpayer money that was being spent to pay off sexual predator lawsuits and some seriously expect these bozos to govern themselves with any semblance of moral compass – seriously.

BTW – The Lancaster Ethics Committee meets a few times a year (if that). Have we ever seen a report from this committee, or is that privileged information as well?

Originally posted by Lee Chowaniec:
    BTW – The Lancaster Ethics Committee meets a few times a year (if that). Have we ever seen a report from this committee, or is that privileged information as well?
    Last May, they voted to meet once a year in May.
    They accepted the financial disclosure forms for 2017 as presented.
    They amended the Financial disclosure form

It was a 35 minute meeting. Only 35 minutes to ascertain the completeness and accuracy to accept disclosure forms from all town officials who are elected and all members of the Zoning Board of Appeals, Planning Board, Library Board of Trustees, Youth Bureau, Drug Abuse Prevention Council, Assessment Review Board, Town of Lancaster Industrial Development Agency, Ethics Board, Senior Citizens Director, Town Building Inspector, Town Engineer, Director of Parks and Recreation and any government review or advisory board appointed by the Town Board.

https://www.lancasterny.gov/index.ph...5-23-2017/file

Georgia L Schlager

image.jpg I am very disappointed that the exposure of settlements is not passed on to the public who is footing the bill . I want to know who is costing taxpayers money regardless of party affiliation. Breezy has been silent when it is Democrats but very vocal about Republicans. These settlements stink of cover ups. Look at the disgusting non disclosure settlements at USA gymnastics! This also applies to Lancaster school district and their bus garage sexual harassment lawsuits. They now are in court with a woman who will not settle, she wants it dragged into the sunlight . Bob Mowry and Jamie Phillips depositions were very difficult. Wrong is wrong regardless of party or if you think highly of the person or not. Mark! I suggest you and others call Legislator John Bruso.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Chowaniec;1777873

[QUOTE
    While several posters on this thread advocate for ethics reform – as I do – we all have diverse thoughts on what reforms should take place. However, this is about politics and politicos have a different standard and set of values they adhere to. Self preservation and agenda are primary.
    Legislators exclusively overseeing the adoption of their own entity's local ethics standards, subsequent violation interpretation, and enforcement application, is the proverbial "fox guarding the hen house" on steroids.

Look no further to the ethic policies / committees / purposefulness administered by the Town and Village of Lancaster.
    With respect to the Town Ethics Committee, I view it entirely as a paper tiger.

IMHO, it will not increase in scope, nor will it grow in effectiveness, so long as the Council is composed of the likes of those who would seemingly hold the fundamental element of ethical government, transparency, in contempt, and attempt to apply an arrogant and ugly disregard for the existing state laws, adopted to strictly support that transparency.

In the consideration of the Village of Lancaster Board, regarding the time that a proposal to create a Citizens Advisory Committee was under consideration, this unfortunate reminder:

"Who better than the Village Attorney?" was the rhetorical question raised by one VOL Trustee in a comment to "The Bee ."

That remark, apparently in support of reliance on the sole insights of the paid Village Attorney, as the interpretive ethical standard, and that appointed political position, as the singular vetting channel through which ethics issues are brought to the VOL Board for disposition, was, and remains, very concerning to me.
    Last edited by mark blazejewski; January 26th, 2018 at 10:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Sojka View Post
    . I want to know who is costing Mark! I suggest you and others call Legislator John Bruso.
    Greg last weekend I sent a note to Legislator Dixon in support of her proposal.

This weekend, I will make my concerns known to Legislator Bruso.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Sojka;1777950 [QUOTE
    This also applies to Lancaster school district and their bus garage sexual harassment lawsuits.
    Ethics is an issue which dwarfs highly-rated institutional performance, politics, or professional personal reputation.

In that connection, as a school district is a government entity, I would be hypocritical if I did not advocate on behalf of some type of grassroots citizen oversight for ethical issues confronting school districts.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Chowaniec View Post
    Ethics reform - seriously

Greg, you posted that Lynne Dixon’s proposal was shot down in committee by a 3-2 vote. Legislators discussed a proposal Thursday that would require the county administration to produce a report regarding all claims and settlements related to harassment and discrimination in county government over the past five years. The other proposal would ban the use of public money to settle harassment claims.

Legislator Lynne Dixon, I-Hamburg, and Lorigo, C-West Seneca voted to approve the measure. Who were the three Democrats that voted ‘no’?

Look no further to the ethic policies / committees / purposefulness administered by the Town and Village of Lancaster. In the Town when the policy change and ethics committee was re-established, it was incorporated to be a watchdog of financial disclosure statements (only). One Town Board member openly stated at the time, “We don’t want anyone looking over our shoulder.” In my mind that has become the mantra of all New York State government agencies.

Outside of corruption and sexual abuse, where does one draw the line on unethical behavior; should this include patronage, campaign opponent slander, manipulation of facts and data, acting fiscally irresponsible to toe the party line, etc.

How long did it take to make public the taxpayer money that was being spent to pay off sexual predator lawsuits and some seriously expect these bozos to govern themselves with any semblance of moral compass – seriously.

I recall Council women Donna Stempniak stating that they do not want the Ethics Committee to look over their shoulders....(may not be the exact wording, but they surely did not want to be micromanaged).

Quote Originally Posted by mark blazejewski View Post
    Greg last weekend I sent a note to Legislator Dixon in support of her proposal.

This weekend, I will make my concerns known to Legislator Bruso.
    Good idea Mark..

Erie County legislators heat up debate on harassment, discrimination claims

By Sandra Tan | Published January 25, 2018 | Updated January 25, 2018

How many discrimination and harassment claims has Erie County government faced in the last five years? And did public money get spent to settle them?

The short answer from the County Attorney's Office is unaware of sexual harassment settlements over the past five years involving a superior and subordinate, but the county administration has been the target of many discrimination complaints, some of which have required the use of outside attorneys and, ultimately, settlements.

But First Assistant County Attorney Michelle Parker stressed that no claims or settlements are confidential.

"There is zero secrecy associated with claims against the county," she said. "There is zero secrecy associated with money spent on claims against the county."

The issue of harassment claims has been a hot topic given the #MeToo movement at the national level, the exposure of millions in payouts to settle harassment and discrimination claims at the state level, and the current indictment against former Social Services Commissioner Al Dirchberger on rape charges.

ADVERTISEMENT

Legislature Minority Leader Joseph Lorigo brandished a document highlighting more than two dozen discrimination complaints from the past two years, including ones where employees said they were subject to sexually and racially demeaning comments.

"I'm troubled by the amount of discrimination claims and how they're handled," he said.

Legislators discussed a proposal Thursday that would require the county administration to produce a report regarding all claims and settlements related to harassment and discrimination in county government over the past five years. The other proposal would ban the use of public money to settle harassment claims.

Both proposals were tabled, though Finance and Management Committee Chairwoman Barbara Miller-Williams said she would like the matter to be discussed further at a future meeting. Democrats on the Finance and Management Committee originally defeated the proposal to ban use of public money to settle harassment claims but reconsidered.

Legislator Lynne Dixon, I-Hamburg, and Lorigo, C-West Seneca, said the unwillingness of their Democratic Legislature colleagues to support a proposal to prevent public money from being spent on harassment settlements was "mind boggling."

Dixon pointed out that state and federal government leaders are already looking at how to restrict public funds for settlements involving such claims.

Chairman Peter Savage said he supports the intent of the legislation, but the county is not legally allowed to refuse to address and resolve such claims. If the county refuses to settle such matters, where county employees may be at fault, that does not prevent such cases from moving forward and going to trial. Refusal to pay could lead to a charge of contempt by a judge.

"The county cannot draft a policy that circumvents state law," he said.

He asked that both sides of the aisle work together to seek a change in state law that would allow local governments to deny the expenditure of public money for harassment cases. He also said the county should uncover the root causes of these cases and ensure that employees who engage in discriminatory or harassing behavior be appropriately punished.

Lorigo said the resolution put forward by the minority caucus simply asks that the County Attorney's Office draft a policy that would best enable the county to avoid spending public money for harassment settlements. Savage responded that the County Attorney's Office doesn't have that ability under the law.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread Information