Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Will Monica Piga Wallace and John Bruso do the right thing?

Expecting to have ethics in politics is like expecting Harvey Weinstein to be exonerated from all sexual abuse/harassment charges.

Dirschberger Brings Too Much Baggage to Head a County Agency

TOPICS:Allen DirschbergerCarolyne DeFrancoFRCGateway-LongviewMark PoloncarzPaul KabalaValerie Akauola
    POSTED BY: CS MARCH 29, 2015
    cs

by Chris Stevenson & EC Toth

There are those who believe the name Allen Dirschberger means dirt. This is a major issue since a vote was soon be taken on Thursday morning (3/26/15) at the County Legislatures office as to whether or not to make him head of the Erie County Department of Social Services. In Buffalo you can still be considered for a promotion or run a city or county agency even if you are under fire for conduct at a previous firm. If members of Gateway-Longview’s (GL) FRC (Family Resource Center) Advisory Board considers newly installed CEO/President Carolyne DeFranco to be Jim Sampson’s “right hand man,” then Vice President Dirschberger is seen by them as his left-hand man. “By his own account he was responsible for a $10 million dollar budget. That is approximately 50% of Gateway-Longview’s annual budget. Dirschberger is responsible for participating in the no bid contracts, Inappropriate and unsupported expense reimbursement, approving business relationships with board members which resulted in conflicts of interest, and was void on any competitive procurement practices or procedures,” says one board member. What they smell behind this appointment is Buffalo School Board President Jim Sampson, and a possible monopoly of corruption that starts at Gateway-Longview and extending to the School Board and now Buffalo’s largest governmental agency, Erie County Department Social Services.

According to a report by New York State Comptroller Thomas P. DiNapoli under Division of State Government Accountability, between 7/1/08 and 6/30/11 “Gateway routinely entered into business transactions with companies affiliated with members of Gateways Board of Directors without competitive bidding or evidence that transactions were fair and reasonable. The cost of these related-party transactions totaled $7, 042,903. We disallowed (money spent on items not allowed by state) $1,999,744 for the amounts charged to the programs. We also disallowed $378,946 for items such as expenses lacking documentation, expenses that were not program-related; and expenses for ineligible items such as food.”

ADflyer

If there are allegations of missing money at GL, then what are the possibilities if Dirschberger is in charge of Social Services?

If there are allegations of missing money at GL, then what are the possibilities if Dirschberger is in charge of Social Services? According to the FRC Advisory Board: “One of our greatest challenges was to enlighten Al Dirschberger, however, he never came around, never. He wouldn’t even speak to any of us when he entered the building at 347 East Ferry on any occasion. In his mind he was omnipotent! He mimicked Jim Sampson, his immediate supervisor, who also never spoke to or acknowledged anyone when he would come to the FRC. There is no excuse for bad manners, however, it was clear that we were less than human in their eyes.” If you think these people are some flower-waving nitpickers then you need to know the story of Vernon Dunkin and the psychological warfare he says Dirschberger and another GL employee Paul Kabala put him through.

Dunkin formerly worked for GL since 2011 and was a Childcare Residential Counselor at Hopevale (now closed because the managerial hierarchy misappropriated the public funds which sustained it). The entire Hopevale operation including but not limited too, the employees and the children were enveloped by Gateway-Longview. In a report he says he worked for Hopevale for eight years without incident, garnering excellent reviews and annual raises. This drastically changed upon his transfer to the GL Main Street Campus: “Al and Paul used intimidation, discrimination, and caused a lot of friction in the workplace. This ‘Goon Squad’ was created to foster and maintain a hostile work environment, which trickled down to the children and affected the employees negatively.” Understand Dunkin says he became a diabetic being forced to put up with superiors he claims are either alcoholic (Kabala) or bigoted (Dirschberger), surveillance and harassment seemed to run along racial lines and among those he saw fired was the union steward Bianca.

Though Dunkin says he wasn’t physically harmed by anyone at GL, what Paul and Al put him through hurt him “emotionally and spiritually.” If you are under a doctor’s care like Dunkin, then this type of pressure doesn’t do you any favors physically. If you are nonwhite and work around a white-run or white-dominated environment you know what they are capable of if the wrong people are mixed with the wrong set of circumstances. Once you are targeted good work reviews are construed or changed into bad reviews, you get their “attitude problem” label, projects assigned to you may even be sabotaged. “This organization is rampant with systemic racist behaviors and attitudes. The upper management does nothing to help the children and the children are purposefully neglected (Dunkin calls it “depraved indifference”). If anyone of color complains or offers alternatives they are ultimately written up and fired, Caucasian’s opinions are considered.”

These types of whites are known to go through trouble above and beyond normal human limitations to bring down blacks (I call this Colonial-Endurance). Eventually Mr. Dunkin was fired, he had a 2nd job he reported to, down the line Dirschberger or one of the many Dirschberger cohorts contacted his other place of employment and told them he had a Child Protective Services case going on with GL and his other job fired him. You can’t get more ruthless than that. Mr. Dunkin strengthened his resolve and it took resources that he really didn’t have and almost three years to clear his good name.

The Gateway-Longview Family Resource Center Advisory Board contends that Jim Sampson, the GL Board of Directors, and the Managerial Hierarchy rained a kind of economic terrorism within our community that equaled ‘rape’. There are 11 County Legislatures and 6 votes are needed to dissent. There is a view that Mark Poloncarz will appoint Dirschberger anyway sometime in the near future if he was not voted-in Thursday, but we are not certain of that. According to Valerie Akauola “We’ve got 30days according to the County Attorney. So this is like Al’s probationary period. Al is willing to meet with our community leaders and hopefully make amends.” Dirschberger was unceremoniously handed the position for all intents and purposes the same way he and Sampson handed out no-bid contracts. The Thursday approval vote was to make readers like you think there’s some protocol going on, County Executive Mark Poloncarz appointed him to that position a couple weeks ago. The FRC Advisory Board arrived before Thursday’s vote in time to cast some doubt, but Akauola was disappointed Dunkin didn’t show up. Nothing is final until the conformation, it would be in Dirschberger’s best interest to address the community on April 7th at the Merriweather Library.

Chris Stevenson is a regular columnist for blackcommentator, and a contributor to the Hampton Institute, his own blog www.thebuffalobullet.com, and a syndicated columnist. Follow him on Twitter, and Facebook, you don’t have to join any of them. Watch his video commentary Policy & Prejudice for clbTV & Follow his Blogtalkradio interviews on 36OOseconds. Respond to him on the comment link below or email pointblankdta@yahoo.com.

Be Sociable, Share!

inShare

=Lee Chowaniec;1776129]Expecting to have ethics in politics is like expecting Harvey Weinstein to be exonerated from all sexual abuse/harassment charges.
    Ethics in politics may be oxymoronic, but ethics in government should be the basic public trust standard. I feel that expectation is especially true, when the issues of ethics reform and stern compliance brought the elected official to elected government office.

Just sayin'.

BREEZY !!!!!! BREEZY !!!!! Is it ethical for John Bruso to accept political donations from Al Dirschberger ? John Bruso should donate that money to RAPE CRISIS services.The victims need the help much more then the politicians. Lancaster residents are in for a wake up call.I still have no call back from BRUSO OR WALLACE . They are probably busy out with Polonczar buying a large area rug to try and sweep this crime away.

Quote Originally Posted by mark blazejewski View Post
    Ethics in politics may be oxymoronic, but ethics in government should be the basic public trust standard. I feel that expectation is especially true, when the issues of ethics reform and stern compliance brought the elected official to elected government office.

Just sayin'.
    The country has lost its moral compass and to expect ethics today to become the standard for any operation/activity is Utopian in concept only.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    I can't believe there are adults sitting in a room discussing this.

Tax payer money should not be used for sexual harassment settlements. Period.

Who is sitting there saying "I believe we should continue to pay for sexual harassment claims?"

Lee Chowaniec;1776262
    expect ethics today to become the standard for any operation/activit
    Such thinking threatens to make the likes of you and I the new, American Lieutenants Onoda, Mr. C.
    Last edited by mark blazejewski; January 19th, 2018 at 01:04 PM.

[
    QUOTE=WNYresident;1776263]I can't believe there are adults sitting in a room discussing this.

Who is sitting there saying "I believe we should continue to pay for sexual harassment claims?"
    You are absolutely correct Res.

So why the apparent deafening, public silence, by some of our leaders, and more importantly, if the taxpayer paying the tab for this crap was/is such an obvious taboo, why in the hell did certain government entities follow such a policy in the first place?

Just askin'.

Is it ethical for John Bruso to accept political donations from Al Dirschberger ?
    Hmm?

Given Dirschberger's initial controversy, I am getting curious about the exact circumstances concerning an incident, with a staffer, after the mid-term elections?

Perhaps, the word is perhaps "Breezy," (that mean I not sure) the plot thickens

Also, IMHO, I do not think it was appropriate for a candidate, who on a platform of ethics reform, ran for the NYS Assembly, but during that same general time period, apparently accepted contributions, if I understood the Financial Disclosure documents correctly, from the lawyer, who apparently represented the "Bike Path Rapist/Murderer."

If I am wrong, straighten me out, please!

Quote Originally Posted by WNYresident View Post
    I can't believe there are adults sitting in a room discussing this.

There is no one posting: "I believe we should continue to pay for sexual harassment claims?"

There is opinion that the system needs to be changed but question whether it ever will be considering the very people that get elected into office promising ethical reform are the very same people who turn a blind eye to their own operations and once in office hit the snooze button.

I must ask why is Al Dirschberger forced to resign and under investigation for rape still coaching girls softball at Niagara University? USA gymnastics replay? My guess is Monday things will come to light! What's next in the Dirschberger investigation?
    By MIKE DESMOND • JAN 2, 2018
    TweetShareGoogle+Email
    The Albany investigation that led to the forced resignation of Erie County Social Services Commissioner Al Dirschberger is just the first stage of Erie County looking to prevent a repeat.

Listen Listening...0:00 WBFO's Mike Desmond reports
    Dirschberger may be gone - forced out by Erie County Executive Poloncarz over an incident he says violated county rules at a conference in Albany Dec. 5-6 - but county officials say these situations are complicated to investigate.

Al Dirschberger (left) is being investigated for what Erie County Executive Mark Poloncarz (right) says was a violation of county rules.
    CREDIT FILE PHOTO / WBFO NEWS
    Probes of these he said/she said encounters are a regular part of the criminal justice system, as cops and prosecutors study the evidence and try to winnow out what happened. Legislators also want to look at training, procedures and even background checks to improve the information made available.

Erie County District Attorney John Flynn says he is familiar with these investigations from his days as a JAG officer, looking at bad behavior of sailors and Marines, especially off base. Flynn says these investigations go much better if the victim comes forward immediately rather than delay, as memories fade.

"It's much better if you have a statement that's taken right after an incident occurs and, so yeah, the more time that went by, the harder it was from a memory standpoint," Flynn says. "My experience in the military, we prosecuted these cases that some times occurred months and months later."

Flynn and Erie County Sheriff Tim Howard say these probes can also be complicated if there is alcohol involved and memories are blurred as to what happened.

"I don't think anybody would like to say, 'I'm not sure what I did yesterday,' but if someone said I did something and I'm pretty certain that I didn't do, I'd like to remember that I didn't," Howard says. "So I would probably caution anybody not to be drinking to the level that you don't remember sometimes the things that you saw or the things that you heard. If that's the case, you're drinking too much."

Legislator Lynne Dixon says for appointments like social services commissioner, there has to be a deep background check, possibly beyond just criminal record checks, because the commissioner is privy to so much truly personal information. She says the Legislature that took office Monday also needs to know more, especially central questions.

"Who knew what and when and how long has this been brewing," Dixon says. "It's a concern to me if there have been allegations that have been out there for a while, that we have somebody continuing to run the largest department in Erie County that deals with the most sensitive issues of family."

TAGS:
    ERIE COUNTYSOCIAL SERVICESAL DIRSCHBERGERJOHN FLYNNTIM HOWARDLYNNE DIXON

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Sojka View Post
    Dirschberger Brings Too Much Baggage to Head a County Agency

TOPICS:Allen DirschbergerCarolyne DeFrancoFRCGateway-LongviewMark PoloncarzPaul KabalaValerie Akauola
    POSTED BY: CS MARCH 29, 2015
    cs

by Chris Stevenson & EC Toth

There are those who believe the name Allen Dirschberger means dirt. This is a major issue since a vote was soon be taken on Thursday morning (3/26/15) at the County Legislatures office as to whether or not to make him head of the Erie County Department of Social Services. In Buffalo you can still be considered for a promotion or run a city or county agency even if you are under fire for conduct at a previous firm. If members of Gateway-Longview’s (GL) FRC (Family Resource Center) Advisory Board considers newly installed CEO/President Carolyne DeFranco to be Jim Sampson’s “right hand man,” then Vice President Dirschberger is seen by them as his left-hand man. “By his own account he was responsible for a $10 million dollar budget. That is approximately 50% of Gateway-Longview’s annual budget. Dirschberger is responsible for participating in the no bid contracts, Inappropriate and unsupported expense reimbursement, approving business relationships with board members which resulted in conflicts of interest, and was void on any competitive procurement practices or procedures,” says one board member. What they smell behind this appointment is Buffalo School Board President Jim Sampson, and a possible monopoly of corruption that starts at Gateway-Longview and extending to the School Board and now Buffalo’s largest governmental agency, Erie County Department Social Services.

According to a report by New York State Comptroller Thomas P. DiNapoli under Division of State Government Accountability, between 7/1/08 and 6/30/11 “Gateway routinely entered into business transactions with companies affiliated with members of Gateways Board of Directors without competitive bidding or evidence that transactions were fair and reasonable. The cost of these related-party transactions totaled $7, 042,903. We disallowed (money spent on items not allowed by state) $1,999,744 for the amounts charged to the programs. We also disallowed $378,946 for items such as expenses lacking documentation, expenses that were not program-related; and expenses for ineligible items such as food.”

ADflyer

If there are allegations of missing money at GL, then what are the possibilities if Dirschberger is in charge of Social Services?

If there are allegations of missing money at GL, then what are the possibilities if Dirschberger is in charge of Social Services? According to the FRC Advisory Board: “One of our greatest challenges was to enlighten Al Dirschberger, however, he never came around, never. He wouldn’t even speak to any of us when he entered the building at 347 East Ferry on any occasion. In his mind he was omnipotent! He mimicked Jim Sampson, his immediate supervisor, who also never spoke to or acknowledged anyone when he would come to the FRC. There is no excuse for bad manners, however, it was clear that we were less than human in their eyes.” If you think these people are some flower-waving nitpickers then you need to know the story of Vernon Dunkin and the psychological warfare he says Dirschberger and another GL employee Paul Kabala put him through.

Dunkin formerly worked for GL since 2011 and was a Childcare Residential Counselor at Hopevale (now closed because the managerial hierarchy misappropriated the public funds which sustained it). The entire Hopevale operation including but not limited too, the employees and the children were enveloped by Gateway-Longview. In a report he says he worked for Hopevale for eight years without incident, garnering excellent reviews and annual raises. This drastically changed upon his transfer to the GL Main Street Campus: “Al and Paul used intimidation, discrimination, and caused a lot of friction in the workplace. This ‘Goon Squad’ was created to foster and maintain a hostile work environment, which trickled down to the children and affected the employees negatively.” Understand Dunkin says he became a diabetic being forced to put up with superiors he claims are either alcoholic (Kabala) or bigoted (Dirschberger), surveillance and harassment seemed to run along racial lines and among those he saw fired was the union steward Bianca.

Though Dunkin says he wasn’t physically harmed by anyone at GL, what Paul and Al put him through hurt him “emotionally and spiritually.” If you are under a doctor’s care like Dunkin, then this type of pressure doesn’t do you any favors physically. If you are nonwhite and work around a white-run or white-dominated environment you know what they are capable of if the wrong people are mixed with the wrong set of circumstances. Once you are targeted good work reviews are construed or changed into bad reviews, you get their “attitude problem” label, projects assigned to you may even be sabotaged. “This organization is rampant with systemic racist behaviors and attitudes. The upper management does nothing to help the children and the children are purposefully neglected (Dunkin calls it “depraved indifference”). If anyone of color complains or offers alternatives they are ultimately written up and fired, Caucasian’s opinions are considered.”

These types of whites are known to go through trouble above and beyond normal human limitations to bring down blacks (I call this Colonial-Endurance). Eventually Mr. Dunkin was fired, he had a 2nd job he reported to, down the line Dirschberger or one of the many Dirschberger cohorts contacted his other place of employment and told them he had a Child Protective Services case going on with GL and his other job fired him. You can’t get more ruthless than that. Mr. Dunkin strengthened his resolve and it took resources that he really didn’t have and almost three years to clear his good name.

The Gateway-Longview Family Resource Center Advisory Board contends that Jim Sampson, the GL Board of Directors, and the Managerial Hierarchy rained a kind of economic terrorism within our community that equaled ‘rape’. There are 11 County Legislatures and 6 votes are needed to dissent. There is a view that Mark Poloncarz will appoint Dirschberger anyway sometime in the near future if he was not voted-in Thursday, but we are not certain of that. According to Valerie Akauola “We’ve got 30days according to the County Attorney. So this is like Al’s probationary period. Al is willing to meet with our community leaders and hopefully make amends.” Dirschberger was unceremoniously handed the position for all intents and purposes the same way he and Sampson handed out no-bid contracts. The Thursday approval vote was to make readers like you think there’s some protocol going on, County Executive Mark Poloncarz appointed him to that position a couple weeks ago. The FRC Advisory Board arrived before Thursday’s vote in time to cast some doubt, but Akauola was disappointed Dunkin didn’t show up. Nothing is final until the conformation, it would be in Dirschberger’s best interest to address the community on April 7th at the Merriweather Library.

Chris Stevenson is a regular columnist for blackcommentator, and a contributor to the Hampton Institute, his own blog www.thebuffalobullet.com, and a syndicated columnist. Follow him on Twitter, and Facebook, you don’t have to join any of them. Watch his video commentary Policy & Prejudice for clbTV & Follow his Blogtalkradio interviews on 36OOseconds. Respond to him on the comment link below or email pointblankdta@yahoo.com.

Be Sociable, Share!

inShare
    Posting things from the past.
    I guess it's do as I say but not as I do, eh Greg?

Georgia L Schlager

Quote Originally Posted by [QUOTE
    Greg Sojka;1776496]I must ask why is Al Dirschberger forced to resign and under investigation for rape still coaching girls softball at Niagara University?
    As a practical matter, I do not think that softball is currently functional. Is Mr. Dirschberger still under contract for the upcoming season? That is an issue which should properly be addressed to Niagara University.

However, given the fact that Niagara undoubtedly receives some Federal funding, I would be curious to know whether the acceptance of those funds would/should impact the personnel decisions of a private institution.

Dirschberger may be gone - forced out by Erie County Executive Poloncarz over an incident he says violated county rules at a conference in Albany Dec. 5-6 - but county officials say these situations are complicated to investigate.
    Poloncarz's comments seem to reflect a characterization driven by legal considerations rather than by a political spin or posturing, IMHO.

I think that the Dirschberger appointment, and Poloncarz's oversight skills and priorities are valid public trust and interest issues. Those are the valid, political aspects of the situation, and IMHO, are entirely fair ones to raise.

These comments by Legislator Dixon sums-up the political trust concerns very well:

Legislator Lynne Dixon says for appointments like social services commissioner, there has to be a deep background check, possibly beyond just criminal record checks, because the commissioner is privy to so much truly personal information. She says the Legislature that took office Monday also needs to know more, especially central questions.

"Who knew what and when and how long has this been brewing," Dixon says. "It's a concern to me if there have been allegations that have been out there for a while, that we have somebody continuing to run the largest department in Erie County that deals with the most sensitive issues of family."
    With that being said, in the world of public discourse, the public trust/good governance considerations, must be kept separate from the criminal justice issues.

Poloncarz, Flynn and Howard all must thread a tricky needle when publicly addressing the criminal investigation's status and progress, and in public comments, must exercise caution and care in the interests of the ensuring due process and county liability.

One need only recall President Nixon's famous comments concerning Charles Manson while the legal process was underway, to understand how an obvious observation can ill-serve the broad interests of justice.
    Last edited by mark blazejewski; January 20th, 2018 at 11:01 AM.

I have not received a call or email from. John Bruso or Monica Piga Wallace our Lancaster NY elected officials. ETHICS look good on a mailer. In the political business not so much! image.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information