Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Board members have heated exchange over dent repair business

Tony Fracasso - Admin

Board members have heated exchange over dent repair business

CHEEKTOWAGA – A showdown between Supervisor Diane Benczkowski and Councilmember James Rogowski erupted during the council’s work session Tuesday afternoon after Ms. Benczkowski was going to pull a resolution regarding Dent Pro Buffalo, LLC on Union Road.

The dent repair business is hoping to rezone the property at 3232 Genesee Street from general commercial to a motor service district allowing them to perform “push to paint,” a technique used when additional work is needed beyond conventional paintless dent removal.
    https://cheektowagachronicle.com/boa...pair-business/

Mr. Rogowski told board members that he’s concerned about the negative impact the oversaturation of dent repair businesses will have in the neighborhood.

You have to be kidding me. Worried about over saturation of a dent repair business but not worried about donut shops.

People are fleeing cheektowaga because we have too many collision shops.

Yeah that's it.

Since 1979, Gary Moscato has operated a collision shop a few doors down from Dent Pro at 4094 Union Road. He told board members at the October public hearing that Dent Pro would take business away.
    Gary?

It's called business. No different that electronic stores selling computers and taking business away from me? You deal with it.

“I’ve been in business there for quite a while trying to keep my head above water to keep up with the Gabe’s and the Carubba’s – not easy to do. Now I got someone 120 feet away that wants to do the same thing that I’m doing; that would just about knock us out,” said Mr. Moscato.
    Seeing a Tim Horton's was built literally right next to a Dunkin Donuts there is no excuse not to allow Dent Pro to expand their services.

The SEQR says the rezoning will create a material conflict with the town’s 2010 Comprehensive Plan for the Genesee Street/Union corridor. It also says the change will cause “future impairment” to the Our Lady Help of Christian’s National Historic Landmark across the street. Mr. Moscato’s collision business, and other’s like his in the neighborhood are exempt because they were in operation when the plan was authored.
    “We’re going to have a lawsuit,” said Ms. Benczkowski.

Won't make no difference as people leave the town.

dent repair shops employee people with some level of skills and don't cause all the air pollution and traffic headaches that timmy hos cause yet they have no problem with a timmy hos on every block
    Vote for freedom, not political parties.
    Politicians need to cut spending

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    “I’ve been in business there for quite a while trying to keep my head above water to keep up with the Gabe’s and the Carubba’s – not easy to do. Now I got someone 120 feet away that wants to do the same thing that I’m doing; that would just about knock us out,” said Mr. Moscato.
    If I knew a business could block others from competing with them I would have asked to block best buy, circuit city, sam's, walmart, sun electronics and so on. who knew...

Quote Originally Posted by WNYresident View Post
    If I knew a business could block others from competing with them I would have asked to block best buy, circuit city, sam's, walmart, sun electronics and so on. who knew...
    You should have asked Jim Rogoski to block the competition for you. Don't you see Moscato is a friend of Rogoski's. Politics working for the Rogoski family

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Friendship has nothing to do with it. That would be a conflict of interest I guess. Not sure.

Makes no difference. There is no reason to block dent pro.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Has this been allowed yet?

Another example of picking and choosing who they want in the town...I say let them go ahead, they have been in the town let them grow...The town of Cheektowaga need to stop blocking people and businesses from growing and or moving into the town..

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Who have they blocked people and business wise other than Dent Pro lately? As long as we allow the Cheektowaga Democratic Party to control the town board nothing with change with the cost of doing business in town. All friends and family one way or another. Start being realistic to what is going on.

Why do you think we are losing population?

Why do you think as people pass away younger people are not moving in to fill the void?

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Chairperson of the town’s Planning & Zoning Committee, Councilmember James Rogowski, says the town’s Environmental Advisory Committee recommended a denial because the proposed land use would have a future negative impact on the community’s character.
    https://cheektowagachronicle.com/tow...oning-request/

He's joking right?

Negative impact on the community's character?

The rezoning denial – a rear occurrence for the town board – sparked off a heated debate between Supervisor Diane Benczkowski and Councilmember James Rogowski earlier this month.
    Do we record the board meetings? It would be interesting to listen the debate on this.

Jim does have a point here.

According to Mr. Rogowski, the business has been cited several times by town building inspectors for painting cars illegally. The New York State Department of Environmental Conservation also cited the business.

“They’re illegally fixing dents and painting cars illegally right now without even a filtration system which affects people that eat at a restaurant right next door,” Mr. Rogowski said on January 9th.

Anyone know if this is true?

He also said the rezoning goes against’s the town comprehensive plan and that the change would impact the Our Lady Help of Christians historical site across the street.
    That comment is totally irrelevant. All the other businesses and traffic has already impacted the Our Lady Help of Christians historical site across the street.

“[People] don’t need fumes going into the Mexican restaurant which is right next door, or into my burger at Burger King, or my hot dog at the Mobil gas station,” Mr. Rogowski told Cheektowaga Chronicle after the vote.
    A little late Jim. Between the traffic on Union road I don't think there are enough fumes that would make any difference. Isn't there another collision shop very close buy anyways?

“They can work together, and work cohesively with other businesses in the area that do that painting.”
    Another irrelevant comment.

What I understand from reading your article, the Moscato collision shop has been there since 1979.
    The 2010 Comprehensive master plan came after he was there. So he is grandfathered in.
    Why have a master plan and not follow it? Motor service district wasn't part of the plan in that area.

Am I understanding that correctly?

Georgia L Schlager

The dent place used to be a Autotune in the late 80's, it has been used as a "motor service" location for many decades. Body shop work/painting I think falls under different zoning.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by gorja View Post
    What I understand from reading your article, the Moscato collision shop has been there since 1979.
    The 2010 Comprehensive master plan came after he was there. So he is grandfathered in.
    Why have a master plan and not follow it? Motor service district wasn't part of the plan in that area.

Am I understanding that correctly?
    Zoning is changed quite often isn't it?

Who was the mastermind behind a donut shop on every corner in 2010?

I've been in business for about 35 years in the same spot. Purchased a home about 18 years ago in Cheektowaga.

For any town board member to say something as weak as "a denial because the proposed land use would have a future negative impact on the community’s character." The boat has sailed and left port when it comes to the "original community's character"

In the 80's I don't remember donut shops, vacant homes and fast food businesses everywhere. So the character of our town was to spread diabetes, obesity and for the most part really crappy food?

Zoning is changed quite often isn't it?

Who was the mastermind behind a donut shop on every corner in 2010?

I've been in business for about 35 years in the same spot. Purchased a home about 18 years ago in Cheektowaga.

For any town board member to say something as weak as "a denial because the proposed land use would have a future negative impact on the community’s character." The boat has sailed and left port when it comes to the "original community's character"

In the 80's I don't remember donut shops, vacant homes and fast food businesses everywhere. So the character of our town was to spread diabetes, obesity and for the most part really crappy food?
    I concede

Georgia L Schlager

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Electric Eye View Post
    The dent place used to be a Autotune in the late 80's, it has been used as a "motor service" location for many decades. Body shop work/painting I think falls under different zoning.
    Here is what I agree with on Jim. If it's not zoned for that they shouldn't be doing it. As I see it, as long as they install the proper filtration system if it's really needed there is no reason not to change zoning. I don't want to hear any BS about "we have too many collision shops" as a reason either. I would say we have more than enough donut shops but more are going up.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by gorja View Post
    I concede
    Never concede. Did what I say make any sense at least how I see it?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information