Thread: Delta Sonic carwash rezone application comments

Delta Sonic carwash rezone application comments

On Tuesday, January 2, 2018 the town held a public hearing on the rezoning of approximately 10 acres of General Business (GB) zoned property to Commercial Motor Service (CMS) for the purpose of developing a Delta Sonic carwash facility at 4817 Transit Road (immediately south of the Kohl’s Department Store and across from Jessica Lane on the Cheektowaga side.

The properties total size will be 19.54 acres and will include 8 gas pumps, 10 outdoor self-service vacuums, an 8,050 SF retail/restaurant store with a drive thru, interior cleaning/detailing building which will have self-serve vacuums, car wash tunnel with three bay prep hut, etc.

Unable to attend that meeting, the following comments and concerns were submitted to the Town / Planning Boards and Code Enforcement Office.

To: Lancaster Planning Board

Re: 4817 Transit Road Delta Sonic Project Rezone Application

Concerning the location and development of a Delta Sonic at 4817 Transit Road I wish to express concerns and objection to the installation of signalization after the project goes into operation; where another traffic study would be performed and a determination then made by the DOT on warranting signalization.

Prior to approval of the Delta Sonics’ petition to rezone 10 acres of GB zoned property to CMS, it is my recommendation that the rezone approval is conditioned that the applicant receives approval from the DOT to install signalization at the Delta Sonic Transit Road access road and at the intersection of Jessica Lane on the west side of Transit Road (Cheektowaga).

As a Northwood Drive homeowner I am already burdened in accessing William Street because of the traffic volume at the intersection of Transit Road and William Street; and where the road can no longer be improved at said intersection. As an individual who frequently (almost daily) travels Transit Road between William/Losson and French Road visiting restaurants and other businesses, I believe I have standing to offer valid concerns regarding traffic volume/traffic safety/conflict points and the importance of following the Town’s Transit Road Access Management Ordinance on avoiding such high risk conflict areas.

First off, the applicant is disingenuous in saying that development of an approved 2008 site plan (extended twice more) was but a result of the recession and the reason why the area remained an empty lot for a number of years. Signalization was promised at that time, and despite the town’s support advocating that signalization was warranted, the Department of Transportation (DOT) did not. Benderson claimed they had an anchor store signed on and prospects lined up for other retail stores. Without promised signalization commercial interest dwindled.

Traffic Study

I understand a traffic study was performed. Yet when I ask on particulars, such as estimated trip generations to the complex, what is the current traffic volume on Transit Road between William/Losson and French Road, number of accidents – on a near I mile stretch with 38 driveways and several street intersections – I get crickets.

When you visit the Greater Buffalo-Niagara Regional Transportation Committee (GBRTC) site to get traffic counts, it has been updated and you can enter several differ menus to get that information. Unfortunately, the data presented differs and will show up with as little traffic volume as 28,688 in 2015 to as many 33,000 daily vehicular trips in 2013. Was the reduced traffic count in 2015 due to the sewer line installation? What is the real number? Does the DOT have a number in mind in making a determination when signalization is warranted?

There are already too many conflict points and risk hazards on Transit Road. To permit a project that would further impede safe egress from the Kohl’s driveway by drivers making a left turn to head south and with having no signalization at the Delta Sonic (a driveway with a few hundred feet away) would be ludicrous.

The town has already Memorialized the DOT petitioning for signalization along this stretch of one-mile road to allow for breaks in traffic and to allow left turn lanes from the aforementioned 29 driveways and four street intersections; and thereby reducing the number of high risk, conflict areas. Vehicular drivers wanting to make left turns are already making right turns entering the turning lane and then making a turn to head in the direction intended.

Does the traffic study indicate the volume of traffic that will be entering the site – trip generation by vehicles already travelling the road and by visitors? This complex will impact the volume of traffic not only between the William/Losson signalized intersection and French Road, but will impact the Cheektowaga town traffic along Jessica Lane which runs all the way to Borden Road. Has the Town of Cheektowaga offered any comments on the project? They are partners with Lancaster in the Transit Road Access Management Ordinance.

In conclusion, it is my recommendation that the Town of Lancaster deny the rezone application unless it is conditioned that signalization is installed at the Delta Sonic – Jessica Lane intersection prior to occupancy permit approval. Basing signalization installation approval from the DOT on another traffic study after the Delta Sonic goes into operation does not guarantee DOT approval or signalization installation.

Traffic at the Delta Sonic is horrific...at the Transit Rd. Clarence location..with Wally Mart and the other plazas located along this strip...there is at least 1 accident there a week. But...how many signals can you put on a busy highway....?

Quote Originally Posted by joe d. View Post
    Traffic at the Delta Sonic is horrific...at the Transit Rd. Clarence location..with Wally Mart and the other plazas located along this strip...there is at least 1 accident there a week. But...how many signals can you put on a busy highway....?
    The .8 mile stretch from Transit and Sheridan to Transit and Greiner/Maple has 3 signals.
    The .9 mile stretch from French and Transit to Transit and William/Losson has 2 signals.
    Don't you think that 3rd signal would be beneficial?

Georgia L Schlager

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Chowaniec View Post
    On Tuesday, January 2, 2018 the town held a public hearing on the rezoning of approximately 10 acres of General Business (GB) zoned property to Commercial Motor Service (CMS) for the purpose of developing a Delta Sonic carwash facility at 4817 Transit Road (immediately south of the Kohl’s Department Store and across from Jessica Lane on the Cheektowaga side.

The properties total size will be 19.54 acres and will include 8 gas pumps, 10 outdoor self-service vacuums, an 8,050 SF retail/restaurant store with a drive thru, interior cleaning/detailing building which will have self-serve vacuums, car wash tunnel with three bay prep hut, etc.

Unable to attend that meeting, the following comments and concerns were submitted to the Town / Planning Boards and Code Enforcement Office.

To: Lancaster Planning Board

Re: 4817 Transit Road Delta Sonic Project Rezone Application

Concerning the location and development of a Delta Sonic at 4817 Transit Road I wish to express concerns and objection to the installation of signalization after the project goes into operation; where another traffic study would be performed and a determination then made by the DOT on warranting signalization.

Prior to approval of the Delta Sonics’ petition to rezone 10 acres of GB zoned property to CMS, it is my recommendation that the rezone approval is conditioned that the applicant receives approval from the DOT to install signalization at the Delta Sonic Transit Road access road and at the intersection of Jessica Lane on the west side of Transit Road (Cheektowaga).

As a Northwood Drive homeowner I am already burdened in accessing William Street because of the traffic volume at the intersection of Transit Road and William Street; and where the road can no longer be improved at said intersection. As an individual who frequently (almost daily) travels Transit Road between William/Losson and French Road visiting restaurants and other businesses, I believe I have standing to offer valid concerns regarding traffic volume/traffic safety/conflict points and the importance of following the Town’s Transit Road Access Management Ordinance on avoiding such high risk conflict areas.

First off, the applicant is disingenuous in saying that development of an approved 2008 site plan (extended twice more) was but a result of the recession and the reason why the area remained an empty lot for a number of years. Signalization was promised at that time, and despite the town’s support advocating that signalization was warranted, the Department of Transportation (DOT) did not. Benderson claimed they had an anchor store signed on and prospects lined up for other retail stores. Without promised signalization commercial interest dwindled.

Traffic Study

I understand a traffic study was performed. Yet when I ask on particulars, such as estimated trip generations to the complex, what is the current traffic volume on Transit Road between William/Losson and French Road, number of accidents – on a near I mile stretch with 38 driveways and several street intersections – I get crickets.

When you visit the Greater Buffalo-Niagara Regional Transportation Committee (GBRTC) site to get traffic counts, it has been updated and you can enter several differ menus to get that information. Unfortunately, the data presented differs and will show up with as little traffic volume as 28,688 in 2015 to as many 33,000 daily vehicular trips in 2013. Was the reduced traffic count in 2015 due to the sewer line installation? What is the real number? Does the DOT have a number in mind in making a determination when signalization is warranted?

There are already too many conflict points and risk hazards on Transit Road. To permit a project that would further impede safe egress from the Kohl’s driveway by drivers making a left turn to head south and with having no signalization at the Delta Sonic (a driveway with a few hundred feet away) would be ludicrous.

The town has already Memorialized the DOT petitioning for signalization along this stretch of one-mile road to allow for breaks in traffic and to allow left turn lanes from the aforementioned 29 driveways and four street intersections; and thereby reducing the number of high risk, conflict areas. Vehicular drivers wanting to make left turns are already making right turns entering the turning lane and then making a turn to head in the direction intended.

Does the traffic study indicate the volume of traffic that will be entering the site – trip generation by vehicles already travelling the road and by visitors? This complex will impact the volume of traffic not only between the William/Losson signalized intersection and French Road, but will impact the Cheektowaga town traffic along Jessica Lane which runs all the way to Borden Road. Has the Town of Cheektowaga offered any comments on the project? They are partners with Lancaster in the Transit Road Access Management Ordinance.

In conclusion, it is my recommendation that the Town of Lancaster deny the rezone application unless it is conditioned that signalization is installed at the Delta Sonic – Jessica Lane intersection prior to occupancy permit approval. Basing signalization installation approval from the DOT on another traffic study after the Delta Sonic goes into operation does not guarantee DOT approval or signalization installation.
    It's not on the next Planning board agenda January 17.

Georgia L Schlager

Thread Information