Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lancaster’s Organizational Meeting; or, whose on first and why

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Lancaster’s Organizational Meeting; or, whose on first and why

After listening to the recording of Tuesday evening’s town board meeting on the Town’s website, I eagerly waited reading the Lancaster Bee’s report on pre-filed resolution #2 of the Organizational meeting dealing with town position appointments; needed clarification on some comments and claims made at the public comment session on the pre-file resolution and during the resolution approving the appointments.

What I found in the Bee was a lengthy public hearing report on a proposed rezone of property for the development of a Delta Sonic immediately to the south of the Kohl’s Department Store on Transit Road and not a drop of ink re the Organizational or regular meeting.

A resident addressed the town board at the public comment session on the pre-file resolutions on the process used to determine which of the six candidates who applied for the two open Zoning Board of Appeal (ZBA) seats was best qualified to serve.

Supervisor Johanna Coleman said the she had submitted the several applications the town received to the four board members. She said some applications came in late but that they all make it into the communications.
    (Somehow I missed seeing the one application).

The applications were submitted to the board members for their evaluation and they were asked to pick the two they felt most qualified and that the candidate receiving the most votes would be appointed.

The resident then asked the board members how they came to their decision(s). Councilman Ruffino just offered he chose who he though best qualified. Councilman Matt Walter declared that he considered education and work experience as strong indicators. Council member Dawn Gaczewski called the applicants and was happy with the final selection. Newly elected Councilman Adam Dickman his selection was based on experience and community involvement. Supervisor Coleman considered education and work experience.

Never once were the appointed ZBA members mentioned by name during the question and answer period; nor any appointee when the resolution was approved. Supervisor Coleman declared that if anyone was interested in seeing who was appointed to what position, that information was present on the website.

So, no names will be mentioned here – especially considering the town board’s common theme for rendering a decision was based on education, work experience (in zoning, I guess) and community involvement. The public will never know how those parameters were met; especially since the applicants chosen were a realtor by profession and an individual who just graduated from college in June 2017.

More drama

What became more perplexing is when the time came to vote approval on Organizational resolution #2 on the appointments. Ruffino asked for a second to his motion to table the appointments based on his belief that the public was misled (until the 11th hour) that there was only one ZBA position open and that with member terms expiring on December 31, 2017 on the ZBA and Planning Board those positions were not posted for public application.

Supervisor Coleman stated that incumbent members tendering letters for re-appointment were favored for re-appointment and there was no need for posting those positions. No one seconded Ruffino’s motion to table the resolution. Coleman offered a resolution for approving the resolution, it was seconded by Gaczewski and approved 4-1; Ruffino voting no.

What is equally perplexing is that the board found it necessary to post and seek out the best qualified candidates to fill ZBA positions but assume the individuals up for board re-appointments cannot be replaced by more educated and work experience qualified candidates? However, this time the board had it right in re-appointing Quinn to the ZBA and Anderson to the PB - and to re-appoint Quinn as ZBA Chair and Connelly as PB Chair (IMO).

The big bigger question

What is holding up the announcement on who will be replacing former Council member John Abraham as liaison to the Town Planning Board; who also held the Deputy Town Supervisor position and where that position has yet to be announced?

I would love to be a fly on the wall during discussions and voting on that one. Knowing about politics and deal making nothing would surprise me. Any guesses?

The resident then asked the board members how they came to their decision(s). Councilman Ruffino just offered he chose who he though best qualified. Councilman Matt Walter declared that he considered education and work experience as strong indicators. Council member Dawn Gaczewski called the applicants and was happy with the final selection. Newly elected Councilman Adam Dickman his selection was based on experience and community involvement. Supervisor Coleman considered education and work experience.
    Regarding the appointment to the position whose functional lifetime is limited to January 1, 2018 to December 31, 2020, what factors were so compelling as to reduce in the mind of Councilman Ruffino, the qualifications of the candidate whom he appeared to enthusiastically "sponsor" throughout 2017?

What was so compelling about the selected candidate as to move the Town Council to unanimous consensus?

Throughout 2017, for one ZBA position, only one, sole, consistent candidate, whom according to some Council Member(s) "was qualified, maybe." Lancaster's ship of state, previously committed to filling that ZBA position with "urgency," gave the appearance of a vessel thoughtfully floundering in a sea of high-drama showmanship, ambivalence, parsed sentences, double-speak, and foot-dragging.

But curiously, and with dispatch, after the election day smoke cleared, "Whala!" The Town Council is rescued by a "Coast Guard" contingent of precision swimmers: candidates, unquestionably and specifically, meeting its vague world standards of "work and educational experience" and "community involvement." "Semper Paratus!"

Give me a F**** break. The Council left-out one criterion: the "P-O-L-I-T-I-C-S" of manipulation.

I don't have any problem with the candidate that was selected. I have a problem with the disingenuous process applied by the determining, manipulative clique.

So much for the 2015 commitment of the Town Council to be independent of political consideration.
    Last edited by mark blazejewski; January 4th, 2018 at 04:13 AM.

Are we not surprised by this process

Qualified, the kid just graduated so where is the experience? A realtor who is Matt Walters friend-can we figure out where the experience is here? No patronage again and Matt campaigned against patronage...Then you have Ruffino, your typical turncoat, his display over the 2017 vacancy was simply posturing on his part. He set that all up, then stuck it to a very qualified person who had relevance/skin in the game. My position on this one, is Ruffino I will remember this when you *try* to run for Supervisor. And Abraham can still be the Deputy Supervisor. I guarantee you that Matt Walters replaces Abraham as the Liaison to the Planning Board. He kissed Johanna's a*** enough to seal the deal. Walters makes me sick...don't get me started on Dawn....

Quote Originally Posted by shortstuff View Post

Qualified, the kid just graduated so where is the experience? A realtor who is Matt Walters friend-can we figure out where the experience is here? No patronage again and Matt campaigned against patronage...Then you have Ruffino, your typical turncoat, his display over the 2017 vacancy was simply posturing on his part. He set that all up, then stuck it to a very qualified person who had relevance/skin in the game. My position on this one, is Ruffino I will remember this when you *try* to run for Supervisor. And Abraham can still be the Deputy Supervisor. I guarantee you that Matt Walters replaces Abraham as the Liaison to the Planning Board. He kissed Johanna's a*** enough to seal the deal. Walters makes me sick...don't get me started on Dawn....
    Yeah, look at this cozy bunch -
    Community Development Corporation
    James Allein President
    John Mikoley Treasurer (New ZBA member)
    Matthew Walter Secretary (Town council member)
    Dawn Robinson Director (ex officio) (Village trustee)
    John Chmarney Director
    Elizabeth Meegan Director
    Robert Dimmig Director
    Kimberly Stribing Director
    Kenneth O'Brien III Member (Village trustee, LIDA member)
    William Schroeder Member (Village mayor, partenaire de la femme du conseil)
    Paul Maute Member (Village trustee)
    Lynne Ruda Member (Village trustee)
    Matt Murphy Property Manager
    Drescher- Malecki Auditor
    Michael Stegmeier Archivist/ Asst. Treasurer (Village clerk & treasurer)
    Last edited by gorja; January 4th, 2018 at 01:31 PM.

Georgia L Schlager

partenaire de la femme du conseil

Whala!

La réponse de Lancaster à Marquise de Pompadour. Imaginez, quel gag-fest!

Quote Originally Posted by mark blazejewski View Post
    whala!

La réponse de lancaster à marquise de pompadour. Imaginez, quel gag-fest!
    lmao

Georgia L Schlager

Quote Originally Posted by gorja View Post
    Yeah, look at this cozy bunch -
    Community Development Corporation
    James Allein President
    John Mikoley Treasurer (New ZBA member)
    Matthew Walter Secretary (Town council member)
    Dawn Robinson Director (ex officio) (Village trustee)
    John Chmarney Director
    Elizabeth Meegan Director
    Robert Dimmig Director
    Kimberly Stribing Director
    Kenneth O'Brien III Member (Village trustee, LIDA member)
    William Schroeder Member (Village mayor, partenaire de la femme du conseil)
    Paul Maute Member (Village trustee)
    Lynne Ruda Member (Village trustee)
    Matt Murphy Property Manager
    Drescher- Malecki Auditor
    Michael Stegmeier Archivist/ Asst. Treasurer (Village clerk & treasurer)
    Yippee ki yay - they have not disappointed me. How transparent is that......

The good news is that the CDC may have open positions if anyone wants to volunteer their time! In addition to the monthly meetings, you may be required to attend village board meetings, help clean up the site, show prospective tenants & buyers through the building, meet with contractors and help with maintenance. These were all things I did during my long time there.

That list above is at least a year or more old and there around 4 changes I spotted. Due to the bylaws at creation, all sitting village board members are automatically members of the CDC. Mr O'Brien is a member of the IDA because it always has a sitting village board member. Not quite sure what that is supposed to show....
    I also served with Dino Fudoli and Russ Sugg for 4 years if that matters?

Matthew Walter
    Lancaster Town Council
    716-901-5340

Yippee ki yay - they have not disappointed me. How transparent is that......
    There very well could be no patronage favoritism but it's the appearance of impropriety

That is the same appearance of impropriety with a commercial real state broker on a ZBA making decisions on zoning changes which could affect his future livelihood.

Georgia L Schlager

...don't get me started on Dawn....
    As the King and Queen/Consort of the VOL would put it:

"Pourquoi pas 'Shortstuff?' S'il vous plaît nous favoriser avec vos opinions."

After you state your opinions, the Queen/Consort will probably respond to you with some bullsh***t explanation, and end by telling the victims of the ZBA fandango to "Mange du gatêau."

Quote Originally Posted by mark blazejewski View Post
    As the King and Queen/Consort of the VOL would put it:

"Pourquoi pas 'Shortstuff?' S'il vous plaît nous favoriser avec vos opinions."

After you state your opinions, the Queen/Consort will probably respond to you with some bullsh***t explanation, and end by telling the victims of the ZBA fandango to "Mange du gatêau."
    Non, ne peut pas avoir votre gâteau et le manger aussi

Georgia L Schlager

Quote Originally Posted by gorja View Post
    Non, ne peut pas avoir votre gâteau et le manger aussi
    Pas au garde-manger.

He set that all up, then stuck it to a very qualified person who had relevance/skin in the game.
    You can bet that they ALL set it up. Disgusting. I would have given anything to be a fly-on-the-wall during their "planning sessions."

Yes, as the song says:

"Je donnerais Versailles,
    Paris et Saint-Denis...

Les tours de Notre-Dame
    Et le clocher de mon pays."

A realtor who is Matt Walters friend-can we figure out where the experience is here? No patronage again and Matt campaigned against patronage..... I guarantee you that Matt Walters replaces Abraham as the Liaison to the Planning Board. He kissed Johanna's a*** enough to seal the deal. Walters makes me sick...
    Three points I would like to clarify since they directly apply to me....

1> Decades of experience in commercial real estate, dealing with zoning boards across WNY, a fluency of the zoning codes and their application? Yes, I consider that solid, relevant experience. As for a "friendship", I am not sure where that is coming from. I do not socialize with Mr Mikoley and know him only from having volunteered to serve on the CDC board with him for many years ( I resigned from that position a couple of months ago). I won't deny that my experience with his volunteer work was one factor in casting a vote for him. His dedication to a non-profit venture, his vast knowledge of commercial real estate and his work ethic was admirable.

2> Careful about making guarantees that you know little about....

3> As for making your sick, i think that may have more to do with incorrectly jumping to conclusions or trying to find conspiracies that just aren't there. I have always been available by phone, email or however to answer questions. I can only recall twice in the last 2+ years that anyone has taken me up on it. I can't always answer but when I do, it will be truthful whether you choose to believe it or not.

As always, thank you for letting me share my side of the story.

Matthew Walter
    Lancaster Town Councilman
    716-901-5340

Quote Originally Posted by MaddMatt View Post
    Three points I would like to clarify since they directly apply to me....

1> Decades of experience in commercial real estate, dealing with zoning boards across WNY, a fluency of the zoning codes and their application? Yes, I consider that solid, relevant experience. As for a "friendship", I am not sure where that is coming from. I do not socialize with Mr Mikoley and know him only from having volunteered to serve on the CDC board with him for many years ( I resigned from that position a couple of months ago). I won't deny that my experience with his volunteer work was one factor in casting a vote for him. His dedication to a non-profit venture, his vast knowledge of commercial real estate and his work ethic was admirable.

2> Careful about making guarantees that you know little about....

3> As for making your sick, i think that may have more to do with incorrectly jumping to conclusions or trying to find conspiracies that just aren't there. I have always been available by phone, email or however to answer questions. I can only recall twice in the last 2+ years that anyone has taken me up on it. I can't always answer but when I do, it will be truthful whether you choose to believe it or not.

As always, thank you for letting me share my side of the story.

Matthew Walter
    Lancaster Town Councilman
    716-901-5340
    Thank you Matt for your response.

Thank you Matt, time will tell...

How has things turned out with that assessment on Dawson Field? Did it turn out to be a valuable piece of property? And are you considering this an option for park space?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information