Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Lancaster’s Organizational Meeting; or, whose on first and why

Quote Originally Posted by gorja View Post
    The Deputy supervisor serves at the pleasure of the supervisor, what about the planning board liaison?
    Interesting question: I don’t know as all appointees serve at the will of the Town Board. The Planning Board liaison position has never been posted in the list of appointees which must mean the 5 member board must decide and vote for that position like they do for the committees they will serve on and/or that they will Chair.

Must be some serious differences and discussions taking place as we have yet to learn any information on the aforementioned and with Supervisor Coleman attending the last Planning Board meeting of December; and was scheduled to appear at the first Planning Board meeting on January 3rd that cancelled at the 11th hour.

Welcome to another episode of the never ending series of "As the stomach turns".

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Chowaniec View Post
    Interesting question: I don’t know as all appointees serve at the will of the Town Board. The Planning Board liaison position has never been posted in the list of appointees which must mean the 5 member board must decide and vote for that position like they do for the committees they will serve on and/or that they will Chair.

Must be some serious differences and discussions taking place as we have yet to learn any information on the aforementioned and with Supervisor Coleman attending the last Planning Board meeting of December; and was scheduled to appear at the first Planning Board meeting on January 3rd that cancelled at the 11th hour.
    Maybe the supervisor doesn't have the confidence in any of the other board members to put them in the liaison position. Maybe she is the liaison.

Georgia L Schlager

Sometimes who you appoint can bite you in the ass

Town Board vs. Zoning Board case

Apartments project to proceed after judge rules in Amherst Town Board vs. Zoning Board case

By Joseph Popiolkowski

Plans for an apartment complex on North French Road in Amherst can move forward now that a judge has ruled in a case that pitted two government boards against each other.

The Amherst Town Board in March rejected a request to rezone 4400 N. French Road, mainly due to concerns that the location is within the town’s flood plain. The Green Organization had planned to construct two buildings with a total of 24 apartment units.

The developer turned to the Zoning Board of Appeals, which granted several variances allowing the project to proceed. That prompted the Town Board to sue the Zoning Board.

State Supreme Court Justice Jeannette E. Ogden ruled Tuesday the Zoning Board was proper in granting the variances, said Jeffery D. Palumbo, the developer’s attorney.

Supervisor Barry A. Weinstein said the Town Board will likely consider possible next steps during an executive session at its Dec. 11 meeting.

Georgia L Schlager

How about Terranova as Deputy supervisor?

The Town board has the authority to appoint a deputy if a supervisor fails to appoint one within 5 days after a vacancy is created.
    Last edited by gorja; January 8th, 2018 at 04:58 AM.

Georgia L Schlager

Maybe the supervisor doesn't have the confidence in any of the other board members to put them in the liaison position. Maybe she is the liaison.

Good point gorja, Johanna was a micro-manager in the office. This might be another step in that direction. And you know what, I might agree with that assessment. All of them on that board-relatively new, it may make sense to act as the Liaison for now.

Sometimes who you appoint can bite you in the ass

Town Board vs. Zoning Board case

Apartments project to proceed after judge rules in Amherst Town Board vs. Zoning Board case

By Joseph Popiolkowski

Plans for an apartment complex on North French Road in Amherst can move forward now that a judge has ruled in a case that pitted two government boards against each other.

The Amherst Town Board in March rejected a request to rezone 4400 N. French Road, mainly due to concerns that the location is within the town’s flood plain. The Green Organization had planned to construct two buildings with a total of 24 apartment units.

The developer turned to the Zoning Board of Appeals, which granted several variances allowing the project to proceed. That prompted the Town Board to sue the Zoning Board.

State Supreme Court Justice Jeannette E. Ogden ruled Tuesday the Zoning Board was proper in granting the variances, said Jeffery D. Palumbo, the developer’s attorney.

Supervisor Barry A. Weinstein said the Town Board will likely consider possible next steps during an executive session at its Dec. 11 meeting.
    The ZBA supersedes the Town Board, if challenged or contested.

How about Terranova as Deputy supervisor?

The Town board has the authority to appoint a deputy if a supervisor fails to appoint one within 5 days after a vacancy is created.
    I think a conflict, but Johanna can keep John Abraham as the Deputy Supervisor.

Shortstuff wrote:

Good point gorja, Johanna was a micro-manager in the office. This might be another step in that direction. And you know what, I might agree with that assessment. All of them on that board-relatively new, it may make sense to act as the Liaison for now.

Yea, back on the thread topic

I agree 100% with your assessment. Johanna is best suited for the liaison position now.

The Deputy Supervisor position only becomes important should Coleman consider resigning before terms end and the person in that position would have an advantage – as was rumored to have happened with Abraham.

What Gorja posted on the apartments project to proceed after judge rules in Amherst Town Board vs. Zoning Board case and in favoring the ZBA, shows the importance of who the two candidates were when chosen to fill our ZBA vacancies; a realtor?

Who were already appointed to fill positions, who will fill the position of Town-Planning Board liaison and who will be chosen to fill town operation committee slots (and Chairs of those slots) all will have a bearing on what the comprehensive plan and zoning ordinances will look like and the direction the town will be taking.
    Last edited by Lee Chowaniec; January 8th, 2018 at 03:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by shortstuff View Post
    I think a conflict, but Johanna can keep John Abraham as the Deputy Supervisor.
    "Any person, including a town officer, official or employee, may be appointed deputy supervisor, provided that the person appointed shall possess the same qualifications as an elective town officer "
    https://ag.ny.gov/sites/default/file...006-3%20pw.pdf

Georgia L Schlager

I think we need to be thankful that in Lancaster, we have so many residents willing to volunteer their time for the committees and boards but one has to wonder where they were four or five months ago.

From the time Mrs Lemaster originally emailed her application letter on July 12 for the one open ZBA position until November 17 when Mr Mikoley submitted his, there seem to be no interest. You have to wonder prompted the sudden interest in the ZBA position(s) by the 4 or 5 applicants in November and December?

Georgia L Schlager

gorja;1773870]

From the time Mrs Lemaster originally emailed her application letter on July 12 for the one open ZBA position until November 17 when Mr Mikoley submitted his, there seem to be no interest. You have to wonder prompted the sudden interest in the ZBA position(s) by the 4 or 5 applicants in November and December?
    Yes, another good, decent, dedicated resident played and thrown aside.

IMHO, it was all a scripted, manipulated process. The Democrats held the Ruffino seat, did they not?

I believe Mrs.Lemaster should of been hired as she followed the rules and procedures. I recall the hiring of Tom Irish and the rules and procedures were NOT followed. John Abraham jr. and Ron Ruffino were involved in both of those actions or inactions. INTERESTING ! Follow the rules and get black balled but do not follow the rules and get another town job. Who is the captain of this vessel? What an odd history of hiring practices.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Sojka View Post
    I believe Mrs.Lemaster should of been hired as she followed the rules and procedures. I recall the hiring of Tom Irish and the rules and procedures were NOT followed. John Abraham jr. and Ron Ruffino were involved in both of those actions or inactions. INTERESTING ! Follow the rules and get black balled but do not follow the rules and get another town job. Who is the captain of this vessel? What an odd history of hiring practices.
    Well said. Mrs. Lemaster would have lent a political balance to the selection process.

Regarding you other observations Greg, same old, same old. "Move along, nothing to see here." It does appear that the Town Council, like the previous entity, the Town Board, has tendencies toward such slight of hands practices.

Some of your other language, perhaps unwittingly, could not be more truthful or profound Greg.

Thank you for posting the above-observation(s).
    Last edited by mark blazejewski; January 10th, 2018 at 02:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mark blazejewski View Post
    Well said. Mrs. Lemaster would have lent a political balance to the selection process..
    Mark,

This is where I will respectfully disagree. Although I think Deb would've done a fine job on Zoning Board, political leanings should have nothing to do with it. In all my conversations with the supervisor's office, political affiliation was never mentioned once as a factor to be considered for the position. In my opinion, the zoning board should not be an arena where we play politics but rather place the most qualified applicants.

Just my $0.02

Matt Walter
    Lancaster Town Council

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread Information