View Poll Results: Will grocery stores selling wine put liquor and wine stores out of business?

Voters
23. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

10 43.48%
  • No

11 47.83%
  • I don't know

2 8.70%
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Grocery Stores selling wine

Sure grocery stores can sell wine. Liquor stores should sell food.
    The evil hide even when no one is chasing them.- Proverbs

Quote Originally Posted by Bioguy231 View Post
    You have to remember, this isn't about whether or not the state hurts somebody. It's all about the state needing money. They're already hurting a ton of people but in their minds that's OK as long as they get money. They need money to keep their special interest buddies happy so they can get tons of campaign money and get re-elected. If the liquor stores really want to convince the state not to move ahead on the wine in grocery store thingie, then the liquor stores need to organize a liquor store union and contribute a bunch of money to their state politicians. That's their only chance right now.
    This is right, also.

The bottom line is: this state has no business going after more money from ANYBODY until they cut first. Period.
    http://www.buffaloreuse.org/~kool aid free zone~

Again, I'll ask how the "get the government out of the way" group all the sudden is coming out in favor of MORE government regulation against grocery stores.
    But your being a dick
    ~Wnyresident

Quote Originally Posted by run4it View Post
    Again, I'll ask how the "get the government out of the way" group all the sudden is coming out in favor of MORE government regulation against grocery stores.
    It's not really more government regulation. It's extending an existing regulation to another business, and tweaking it a bit.

Plus, it's already regulated. Everything's regulated.

What pisses me off is when they get into my home and my car. And my body.

Quote Originally Posted by keyboard150 View Post

What pisses me off is when they get into my home and my car. And my body.
    Who gets into your home, car, and body? The government?

Quote Originally Posted by therising View Post
    Who gets into your home, car, and body? The government?
    yes....

Quote Originally Posted by atotaltotalfan2001 View Post
    I'm from California and you can find wine and spirits everywhere -- grocery stores, drug stores, mini-marts etc.

You see a lot of liquor in those places. What you see very little of are actual liquor stores. There is simply no way they can compete with the big guys. You can buy a perfectly lovely bottle of red California wine for about $2 at Trader Joe's. No way a Mom and Pop operation can compete with that.
    Not sure where you lived, but where I lived there were, and seemingly still are, many liquor stores in spite of being able to buy beer, wine and spirits in grocery stores:

http://yellowpages.latimes.com/glend...stores.zq.html

Quote Originally Posted by keyboard150 View Post
    yes....
    For a guy who gets a pay check from the government, you sure have a lot of problems with the government.

For a guy who gets a pay check from the government, you sure have a lot of problems with the government.
    this comment is just stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by cookie View Post
    Not sure where you lived, but where I lived there were, and seemingly still are, many liquor stores in spite of being able to buy beer, wine and spirits in grocery stores:

http://yellowpages.latimes.com/glend...stores.zq.html
    I lived my whole life in California, until we moved here (my mistake). It's weird because some how I'm the only member of my family left in NY. Both my kids are back in California. My husband spends a lot of time there already and I just retired. So I guess I'll go back home too.

You might be right about liquor stores. Truth is, I never paid that much attention. So... maybe NY should sell wine/spirits everywhere. It's your choice.

You had him all lined up for the Lionel Ritchie and you didn't use it.

Quote Originally Posted by Save Us View Post
    You had him all lined up for the Lionel Ritchie and you didn't use it.
    I know, I blew it.

Anyway, Keyboard is a guy who gets paid the government. Yet, he hates the fact that the government "gets into his home, body, and car."

If I was so suspicious of the government, I certainly wouldn't work for them. Even with Union protection.

I know, I blew it.

Anyway, Keyboard is a guy who gets paid the government. Yet, he hates the fact that the government "gets into his home, body, and car."

If I was so suspicious of the government, I certainly wouldn't work for them. Even with Union protection.
    And maybe I'm getting out. But your comments haven't got a damned thing to do with what we're talking about here.

This sounds like a state money grab, however, then there is another side of the story... It "might" hurt small liquor store owners, but it "might" also boost sales and strengthen other small business owners- regional wineries. I don't know of many tourists seeking out liquor stores to tour, I do know tourists that seek out wineries though.
    As a consumer, it would be nice to pick up a bottle of wine when I'm shopping for dinner. On the other hand, I hate buying beer and extra stuff when I'm grocery shopping. It's a dreaded chore to begin with and unloading groceries and beer and wine all in one trip just doesn't appeal to me. I'd rather save the liquor/wine/beer shopping for a separate outing and I want someone that can give me some good advice. I just can't see me asking the stockboy's advice on some good wines to have on hand.
    Last edited by cookie; March 30th, 2010 at 08:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by cookie View Post
    This sounds like a state money grab, however, then there is another side of the story... It "might" hurt small liquor store owners, but it "might" also boost sales and strengthen other small business owners- regional wineries. I don't know of many tourists seeking out liquor stores to tour, I do know tourists that seek out wineries though.
    As a consumer, it would be nice to pick up a bottle of wine when I'm shopping for dinner. On the other hand, I hate buying beer and extra stuff when I'm grocery shopping. It's a dreaded chore to begin with and unloading groceries and beer and wine all in one trip just doesn't appeal to me. I'd rather save the liquor/wine/beer shopping for a separate outing and I want someone that can give me some good advice. I just can't see me asking the stockboy's advice on some good wines to have on hand.
    It's a good point.

Which is why I would push for just NYS wines being allowed in grocery stores.

You know Wegmans will provide something in store to help choose a bottle--they're good like that.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread Information