View Poll Results: Will grocery stores selling wine put liquor and wine stores out of business?

Voters
23. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

10 43.48%
  • No

11 47.83%
  • I don't know

2 8.70%
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Grocery Stores selling wine

Quote Originally Posted by keyboard150 View Post
    New Hampshire owns its liquor stores and uses that as a way to put some money in the state coffers.

Grocery stores do sell wine.

Maybe NYS could figure in a similar plan. With a regulation stating that grocery stores can only sell NYS wine.

I think that is a reasonable compromise?
    I'm pretty sure that's all that's on the table. They still wont be able to sell liquor.
    Raptor Jesus: He went extinct for your sins.

New Hampshire owns its liquor stores and uses that as a way to put some money in the state coffers.

Grocery stores do sell wine.

Maybe NYS could figure in a similar plan. With a regulation stating that grocery stores can only sell NYS wine.

I think that is a reasonable compromise?
    What do you tell the business owners that have invested their life saving in their liquor stores?
    Your "reasonable compromise" is telling them "we like your business model so much, that we're taking it over. And thanks for paying taxes all those years, now get the **** out."

How can you be serious about this?

Quote Originally Posted by therising View Post
    What do you tell the business owners that have invested their life saving in their liquor stores?
    Your "reasonable compromise" is telling them "we like your business model so much, that we're taking it over. And thanks for paying taxes all those years, now get the **** out."

Liquor stores will still be the only sellers of liquor. And I will bet, that grocery stores will not carry specialty wines, either. More like Sysco, or MD 20/20.

The only liquor stores that would suffer are the ones who either:

1) Can not adapt to a new business climate. ie selling high-end wines.
    2) Do not carry liquor.

Quote Originally Posted by NBuffaloResident View Post
    Liquor stores will still be the only sellers of liquor. And I will bet, that grocery stores will not carry specialty wines, either. More like Sysco, or MD 20/20.

The only liquor stores that would suffer are the ones who either:

1) Can not adapt to a new business climate. ie selling high-end wines.
    2) Do not carry liquor.

a) We all know liquor stores will be the only seller of liquor. For some reason, every one feels the need to repeat that in this thread

b) Sure, liquor stores will still have the specialty wines, but when Wegmans starts selling wine for $3/bottle, liquor stores will see 40% of their profits evaporate.

c) Adapt to a new business climate? How many high-end wine stores do you think that WNY can support?

d) There are liquor stores that don't carry liquor?

Again, you're ignoring the real crux of the matter -- NYS is doing this for no other reason than to raise a few dollars. How come when your taxes get raised you probably bitch? But when some specific mom and pops are hurt in order to raise money for the State, you're all for it??

How can you justify that??

The evil hide even when no one is chasing them.- Proverbs

I wasn't suggesting that.

It was a two-part post.

However, maybe in the future New York might consider buying out these liquor stores and running them?

I'm just throwing it out there as an idea. I don't want to see ma and pa business run out anymore than you do.

However, I also don't see why grocery stores can't sell wine. It's the most ridiculous thing, ever.

Plus, if they're only allowed to sell New York State wine, I think that's a benefit for many. It'll give the wineries a good boost, for sure.
    http://www.buffaloreuse.org/~kool aid free zone~

One other thing.....Anyone who thinks that supermarkets won't sell specialty wines -- have you seen the beer section at Wegmans lately?

Get real folks. The State is ****ing with a select group of small business owners. And a lot of you seem to be OK with that, because it has no negative impact on you.

a) We all know liquor stores will be the only seller of liquor. For some reason, every one feels the need to repeat that in this thread

b) Sure, liquor stores will still have the specialty wines, but when Wegmans starts selling wine for $3/bottle, liquor stores will see 40% of their profits evaporate.
    I'm glad you brought up Wegmans. You know, I shop at Wegmans, because I'm willing to pay more for a better quality product?

Plus, I really like their olive bar.

c) Adapt to a new business climate? How many high-end wine stores do you think that WNY can support?
    Quite a few, actually. Premier Groups have like 3 already. Nucherino's is a small mom-and-pop Wine place (They sell liquor too, but their wine selection is much better).

Quality, will 9/10 beat quantity. Lot's of businesses use that very model to be successful.

d) There are liquor stores that don't carry liquor?
    I'm sure there are. Because you have to be a "Liquor Store" to sell wine. By allowing grocers to sell wine, it can open up entire business sector of Wine Stores, which are cheaper to operate due to not having the burden of being a liquor store.

Again, you're ignoring the real crux of the matter -- NYS is doing this for no other reason than to raise a few dollars. How come when your taxes get raised you probably bitch? But when some specific mom and pops are hurt in order to raise money for the State, you're all for it??

How can you justify that??
    Sometimes, the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few. It's the wondrous thing about a democracy (Or, a constitutional republic actually).

One other thing.....Anyone who thinks that supermarkets won't sell specialty wines -- have you seen the beer section at Wegmans lately?

Get real folks. The State is ****ing with a select group of small business owners. And a lot of you seem to be OK with that, because it has no negative impact on you.
    Wegmans is filling a niche that no other place does.

Name another place (Other than Premier Gourmet) where you can find a beer selection like that?

And, then ask Flying Bison, or Ithaca Brewing, if Wegmans selling their beers was a good or bad thing. I think Flying Bison had to hire another brewer once Wegman's started carrying their product.

Wegmans is filling a niche that no other place does.

Name another place (Other than Premier Gourmet) where you can find a beer selection like that?
    Village Beer Merchant on Elmwood.
    http://www.buffaloreuse.org/~kool aid free zone~

Village Beer Merchant on Elmwood.
    And, I presume they're doing well. They don't seem to have an issue with the competition of Wegamans selling the same product.

I'll bet Village Beer uses yet another tack: We're a part of your community.

And, I'll also bet, many people from the community shop there.

The state is ****ing with every small business and every tax payer,

people either don't get it, work for the state or don't care.

and will have to do it more to balance the books,, it only gets worse.

Quote Originally Posted by Save Us View Post
    The state is ****ing with every small business and every tax payer,

people either don't get it, work for the state or don't care.

and will have to do it more to balance the books,, it only gets worse.
    Or, until tax receipts get back to pre-recession points.

Or, until tax receipts get back to pre-recession points.
    How does that happen?

Quote Originally Posted by Save Us View Post
    How does that happen?
    The recession ends, people get back to work, and start buying things again. This in turn causes sales tax receipts to go back up, as well as income tax receipts.

Right now, people don't have jobs, therefore don't pay income tax. And they have no money, so they aren't out buying things, therefore, not paying sales tax.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information