Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Lancaster Superintendent in hiding again

If by chance that the system was not successful in helping these students, what other students were left behind? And with that notion, only two students were reported on this video clip, are there truly other incidents that are going unreported to reach a certain quota or are these students intimidated by their own district and will not report this in the proper fashion?
    Those are my questions and concerns as well.

Parents today do no equip their children with the defense mechanisms they need to adapt to these life long skills. .
    Yep, and it is sad. Particularly at this time in history when students spend so much time at school, that they seem, in many cases, to rely on the school as a home, as opposed to a required activity.

The fact that he was unavailable was more troubling to me than the clip on the students bullied.
    On this comment, I do not believe that Dr. Vallely should be criticized. Because of privacy considerations, any comment regarding specific, personally identifiable information, risks civil sanctions.

However, I simply do not understand why the "Communications Director" did not reassert, or further explain, NYS requirements, supplemental District policies, provide answers as to why Dr. Vallely could not respond, and some reassuring words to assuage public concerns.

The performance of the PR person, perhaps unwittingly, gave the public appearance, of arrogant indifference.

Readers of speak up wny, as Lee and others make excuses for Superintendent Vallely. While attending a school board meeting prior to the Ch.2 news report of bullying and child abuse several people stepped up to the podium to address the board. Cesar Marchioli stepped forward and thanked the board members and superintendent for a budget that keeps all programs and supports students. He was one of the principals interviewed by the news. Terry Adamec also spoke and thanked the board, superintendent and teachers regarding the success of the students. She was also interviewed by the news. Denise Flynn then spoke to the board in tears telling of her child's bullying, abuse, and needing help . School board president Patrick Uhteg told her your time is up sit down! She was one of the parents in the interview.Dee Miller then spoke about bullying to the board. So can you comprehend that ALL were aware of these issues and problems? Yet the NYS report says no reports of bullying in two years . While being interviewed by the news these two Lancaster administrators just went along with the idea of no issues here in Lancaster. Lancaster residents remember PAST ACTIONS ARE A GOOD INDICATION OF FUTURE ACTIONS? Superintendent Vallely has a past history of not addressing issues bullying reports, Lancaster Bus garage sexual harassment lawsuits, a Lancaster vice principal with 2 dwi's should of been 3 but he had a good family lawyer, the NYS comptroller audit that states the superintendent and board are not transparent and have been overtaxing Lancaster for years and for the second year in a row no reports to NYS for Bullying. I do not hate Vallely . I do not blame him on his first day as supervisor that students almost died on the playing field from electricity. I hold the superintendent accountable for the actions and inactions that he is charge of . In the real working world a pervert in the bus garage should of be fired before the 8th lawsuit . A truck driver loses his license the first time for a dwi but a Lancaster principal get 3 swigs? The bullying and audit reports that Lancaster submits ? Figures do not lie,but LIARS can figure. *******Lee , start a new thread about your daughter and I will speak of my nephew Branden Baker who went to Lancaster in a wheel chair , died at 18 , saved many lives with his UNYTS donate life , and he has a wing named after him at ECMC .

I hold the superintendent accountable for the actions and inactions that he is charge of . In the real working world a pervert in the bus garage should of be fired before the 8th lawsuit . A truck driver loses his license the first time for a dwi but a Lancaster principal get 3 swigs?
    Greg, your points regarding "Bullying" should, and in my case are, seriously taken. Those points are worthy of scrutiny, and I expect Vallely to give the "Bullying" issue the attention it deserves.

However, regarding the highlighted quote, Dr. Vallely is (as would any other superintendent) limited by the entrenched institutional problems of bureaucracy, a politically-sensitive BOE in a "Blue State," public employee unions, Civil Service law, less than exemplary staff, and the best lawyers and legal system that political influence and money can buy. He can't be blamed for all of the LCSD's institutional ills.

Compared to some previous, eon-lasting, superintendents that the district has endured in the past, Vallely shines. He simply and fairly, can not be blamed for all of the district's institutional problems.
    Last edited by mark blazejewski; December 11th, 2017 at 12:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Sojka View Post
    Readers of speak up wny, as Lee and others make excuses for Superintendent Vallely. While attending a school board meeting prior to the Ch.2 news report of bullying and child abuse several people stepped up to the podium to address the board. Cesar Marchioli stepped forward and thanked the board members and superintendent for a budget that keeps all programs and supports students. He was one of the principals interviewed by the news. Terry Adamec also spoke and thanked the board, superintendent and teachers regarding the success of the students. She was also interviewed by the news. Denise Flynn then spoke to the board in tears telling of her child's bullying, abuse, and needing help . School board president Patrick Uhteg told her your time is up sit down! She was one of the parents in the interview.Dee Miller then spoke about bullying to the board. So can you comprehend that ALL were aware of these issues and problems? Yet the NYS report says no reports of bullying in two years . While being interviewed by the news these two Lancaster administrators just went along with the idea of no issues here in Lancaster. Lancaster residents remember PAST ACTIONS ARE A GOOD INDICATION OF FUTURE ACTIONS? Superintendent Vallely has a past history of not addressing issues bullying reports, Lancaster Bus garage sexual harassment lawsuits, a Lancaster vice principal with 2 dwi's should of been 3 but he had a good family lawyer, the NYS comptroller audit that states the superintendent and board are not transparent and have been overtaxing Lancaster for years and for the second year in a row no reports to NYS for Bullying. I do not hate Vallely . I do not blame him on his first day as supervisor that students almost died on the playing field from electricity. I hold the superintendent accountable for the actions and inactions that he is charge of . In the real working world a pervert in the bus garage should of be fired before the 8th lawsuit . A truck driver loses his license the first time for a dwi but a Lancaster principal get 3 swigs? The bullying and audit reports that Lancaster submits ? Figures do not lie,but LIARS can figure. *******Lee , start a new thread about your daughter and I will speak of my nephew Branden Baker who went to Lancaster in a wheel chair , died at 18 , saved many lives with his UNYTS donate life , and he has a wing named after him at ECMC .
    Please first read the following on the Annual Dignity Act reporting process:

Annual Dignity Act reporting must be submitted to the State Education Department by BOCES, school districts, and charter schools.

The purpose of the annual report is to summarize all material incidents of discrimination and/or harassment which occurred on school property (including on school buses) and/or at school functions in the previous school year.

It is critical that schools keep in mind that only MATERIAL INCIDENTS of discrimination and/or harassment are to be reported on the annual submission to the State Education Department.

Material incidents are defined as:

A single incident OR a series of related incidents where a student is subjected to discrimination and/or harassment by a student AND/OR employee on school property or at a school function that creates a hostile environment by conduct, with or without physical contact and/or by verbal threats, intimidation, or abuse of such severe or pervasive nature that:

a) has or would have the effect of unreasonably and substantially interfering with a student’s educational performance, opportunities or benefits, or mental, emotional and/or physical well-being; or

b) reasonably causes or would reasonably be expected to cause a student to fear for his or her physical safety.

The method through which schools compile and maintain Dignity Act-related data throughout the school year is a local decision. The State Education Department has no plan to develop a standardized data collection system, nor will the Department recommend any specific data collection systems.

The language gives the appearance that every incident is subject to reporting to SED. If true (required) and where Lancaster openly stated that the district receives 100 such reports a year and where parents have publically addressed the board on bullying/harassment incidents and child suffering than the district has failed in its obligation to report such incidents to SED. That said, Lancaster was but one of 113 districts reporting no incidents in the past two years – an extreme percentage of total districts reporting.

What that says to me is that there is a systemic problem here (top-down) where SED policies and guidelines and follow-up are weak, and where districts choose to think they have satisfactorily addressed/resolved/mitigated the issue.

If parents or students still feel aggrieved they can contact SED or write to the Attorneys General Office and call for an investigation. Is Lancaster under investigation, Greg; any of the other 112 school districts, Greg? Then districts should be held accountable and consequences imposed.

As to the district responding to the media, you know damn well that they can’t – FERPA. You also know that SED and the district are bound to not make information public unless there is reason for an official investigation and the district acted inappropriately.

This whole media report thing stinks, Greg, and makes Lancaster appear as the exception. I will wait before there is an official outcome. Until then, no one should be acting as judge and jury.

Lastly, hate was a harsh word I used in your feeling about Dr. Vallely and I regret using it. Your extreme ‘dislike’ for the man is obvious as the rest of your rant attested to your wanting him removed. While you portend to be the vanguard against bullying and harassment some of the things you have posted in the past about Valley and charged him with (without any credence), and the BOE were the direct opposite.

Stay focused on this important matter instead of repeating the same old trite and unfounded allegations against Superintendent Vallely. Our children's welfare is too important to be politicized.

What that says to me is that there is a systemic problem here (top-down) where SED policies and guidelines and follow-up are weak, and where districts choose to think they have satisfactorily addressed/resolved/mitigated the issue.
    Spot on! I am hopeful that the LCSD will work to correct those systematic weaknesses.

Then districts should be held accountable and consequences imposed.
    Absolutely.

As to the district responding to the media, you know damn well that they can’t – FERPA. You also know that SED and the district are bound to not make information public unless there is reason for an official investigation and the district acted inappropriately.
    Dr. Vallely was not well served by the LCSD's "Communications Director," who should have said it as clearly as you just have.

This whole media report thing stinks, Greg, and makes Lancaster appear as the exception. I will wait before there is an official outcome. Until then, no one should be acting as judge and jury.
    The media was looking for a story. Vallely apparently was/is looking to follow the law, protect the District taxpayers, honor the privacy rights of the student, and the guarantee the integrity of whatever investigations may or may not be going on.

I say again, the districts "Communications Director" screwed-up. The director not only fumbled the ball, but ran it into the opposing team's End Zone for them.

To hang this horrible problem, with its weak and vague protocols and guidelines, and regrettably, with the perhaps poor in-take actions of lesser administrators, around Vallely's exclusive neck is in itself a form of political "Bullying." The students need the "Bullying" problem to be confronted by school officials truly sensitized to, and well-trained to deal with the problem, and with a policy consistent enough to foster confidence, yet dynamic enough to meet the challenges of technology and the ever-changing social condition.

Stay focused on this important matter instead of repeating the same old trite and unfounded allegations against Superintendent Vallely. Our children's welfare is too important to be politicized.
    This issue is far too important, and its impact on young lives much too great, than to sacrifice the debate and concerns on the alter of temperamental politics.

Well said Mr. C.
    Last edited by mark blazejewski; December 11th, 2017 at 05:14 PM.

I do wish to make one last point.

Without intending any disrespect to the victims and their families, to what support resources did the students and families attempt to, or actually, avail themselves?

I know that the district can not speak to these specifics, but since the families took occasion to bring the issue to the journalistic forefront, why did the reporter NOT ask the student and/or the families of such interventions?

To wit:

(1) At what level did the complaint originate and what was the chain of intervention?

Were those "links" in the chain dismissive or indifferent?

(2) To what, if any, Pupil Personnel Services did the victims avail themselves (ie, Guidance Counselor, School Social Worker, School Pyscologist)?

Were the victims refused or discouraged from such services?

(3) Did the victims reach out to the private sector for interventions? Their family doctor and/or other medical/psychological/legal professionals? Perhaps an intervention by the private professional sector may have resulted in a more suitable school environment, or perhaps a home-teaching situation, in order to help these poor victims assimilate, healthy and confident, back into the mainstream.

For Heaven's sake, if a reporter is going to report, ask the questions, and stop the "Gotcha" headline-grabbing horse***t.

It is the victims that are important, not ratings.

That is all I have to offer this tragic situation.
    Last edited by mark blazejewski; December 11th, 2017 at 06:05 PM.

The WGRZ reporter stated that she submitted email questions to the district, and that district would likely respond after it had an opportunity to review those questions.

Did the district respond accordingly, and did WGRZ ever report that response?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information