Thread: Lancaster Supervisor salary

Lancaster Supervisor salary

http://buffalonews.com/2017/11/18/th...aises-in-2018/

The Buffalo News report on town supervisor salaries was interesting in that they focused on a town where the supervisor pay is fiscally responsible for a full time supervisor position in a full service town and having its own police department.

The supervisor salary ($69,704) is now lower by near $13,000 than it was six years ago and is eclipsed by the salaries of every sworn police officer (50) in town and that of six department heads:

Police

Police Chief - $118,691
    Captain (2) - $99,269
    Lieutenant (9) - $85,155
    Detective Lieutenant - $86,644
    Detectives (7) - $77,132
    School Resource Officer (2) - $77,132
    Patrol (28) - $72,869

Department Heads

Director of Finance - $89,417
    Town Clerk - $74,019 + stipends for other assigned tasks = $87,345
    Highway Superintendent - $72,606 + stipends for other assigned tasks = $83,376
    Park Crew Chief - $70,800
    Youth Bureau Executive Director - $75,431

Do they pay a percentage towards their health insurance? A flat rate? Or nothing? Healthcare increases are legacy costs are crushing many other towns and villages. Cheektowaga and West Seneca are seeing large tax hikes to cover these costs. Now that the elections are over will they be getting to new property assessments soon?

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Sojka View Post
    Do they pay a percentage towards their health insurance? A flat rate? Or nothing? Healthcare increases are legacy costs are crushing many other towns and villages. Cheektowaga and West Seneca are seeing large tax hikes to cover these costs. Now that the elections are over will they be getting to new property assessments soon?
    Come on Greg, you’re just trolling. You know the answers; at least you should as I have posted it several times in the past. You are just looking for someone else to do the heavy lifting.

But whereas many town employees who just recently started contributing to health care plans still grumble and do not want to pay anything, you know this is a sore point with me; so, here goes.

As a retired senior health care for the wife and I (Medicare & supplemental) costs $370 per month – and will be increasing for 2018. This does not include dental or vision coverage and has high deductibles and an ever increasing catastrophic limit.

So, it is disturbing to see town employees receiving a health plan that exceeds $20,000, includes dental & vision, low deductibles and low co-pays and where:

• Non binding arbitration town employees contribute only 8.50% to the family health plan
    • Blue & White Collar union employees contribute 8.5% to the family health plan
    • Dispatch will start contributing 8.5% in 2018
    • Police contribute 5% to the family health plan; except the Chief and two Captains who contribute a flat $750 to the family health plan.

So where this family living on a fixed income is spending $4,440 per year for a plan nowhere as generous in benefits as the town’s plan, the most a town employee pays on an estimated $20,000 premium is $1,700 per year – and the Chief and Captains contribute half that amount.

As to legacy costs, where many in the private sector were forced into 401-K plans the town is still mandated to contribute to a guaranteed retirement plan – lower in costs now that the market is this strong, but still a drain on the taxpayer. Fortunately those legacy costs have been lowered as the town appropriations in the approved 2018 budget exceeded $1 million.

As to a town property reassessment, don’t think it will happen anytime soon. Lancaster is still at a 93% equalization rate and $5-7 state aid grants per parcel no longer exist to offset reval costs – most likely with an estimated cost of $200,000.

Originally posted by Lee Chowaniec:
    As to a town property reassessment, don’t think it will happen anytime soon. Lancaster is still at a 93% equalization rate and $5-7 state aid grants per parcel no longer exist to offset reval costs – most likely with an estimated cost of $200,000.
    Lee,
    Did you notice that they now show 2 percentages on the town's assessment site?
    Equalization Rate 95%
    Level of Assessment 92%
    I found this guide to help in understanding why there are 2 numbers https://www.tax.ny.gov/pdf/publicati...er_eqrates.pdf

Without a reval, can't they reassess properties that have recently been sold? Houses are selling for $50,000, $60,000 and $70,000 above their full market value. There's a lot of lost income for the town.

Georgia L Schlager

That means that they're off by roughly 11%, but that's still 16% less than what my house would sell for.

Don't look at it as lost income. The assessment and the tax rate have nothing to do with each other. The town should come up with a budget and divide it among the properties in the town. If every property was worth 50% more than they are now, the amount of taxes should not change on a property, but the tax rate per 1000 of assessed value should drop at an equal rate.

Equalization rates and levels of assessment are laziness factors that are employed instead of doing a continuous proper assessment.

Originally posted by yaksplat:
    That means that they're off by roughly 11%, but that's still 16% less than what my house would sell for.

Don't look at it as lost income. The assessment and the tax rate have nothing to do with each other. The town should come up with a budget and divide it among the properties in the town. If every property was worth 50% more than they are now, the amount of taxes should not change on a property, but the tax rate per 1000 of assessed value should drop at an equal rate.

Thanks for the wake up. You're absolutely right. I wasn't looking at it logically.

Georgia L Schlager

Originally posted by yaksplat:
    Did you finish building your Elma house yet?

Georgia L Schlager

Not yet. I'm going overboard on design and watching regulations disappear that will make home loans for a DIY builder like me much cheaper.

Quote Originally Posted by yaksplat View Post
    Not yet. I'm going overboard on design and watching regulations disappear that will make home loans for a DIY builder like me much cheaper.
    Is there anything built that you can see from the road? Haven't driven down that way in well over a year

Georgia L Schlager

i've got a nice 800' driveway, and this year i did a lot of earth moving and ditch clearing and put in a 70' circle for a turnaround. 433,000 pounds of stone later and you can do laps around the circle

Regarding the Supervisors salary, does she still receive any stipends such as the Budget Officer and so on? That’s would add to her salary....just asking.....

Quote Originally Posted by shortstuff View Post
    Regarding the Supervisors salary, does she still receive any stipends such as the Budget Officer and so on? That’s would add to her salary....just asking.....
    That was eliminated by Fudoli and I don't believe its been re-instated, along with a town vehicle.

Quote Originally Posted by yaksplat View Post
    i've got a nice 800' driveway, and this year i did a lot of earth moving and ditch clearing and put in a 70' circle for a turnaround. 433,000 pounds of stone later and you can do laps around the circle
    216.5 tons of stone, wow. I'll have to do a drive by this weekend to see the driveway to the mansion.

Georgia L Schlager

Quote Originally Posted by gorja View Post
    216.5 tons of stone, wow. I'll have to do a drive by this weekend to see the driveway to the mansion.
    I believe that you mean driveway to the piles of dirt

Quote Originally Posted by shortstuff View Post
    Mrs Coleman also collects her full tax funded retirement from her past Town positions ! Plus what ever tax funded benefits.
    #Dems play musical chairs + patronage and nepotism = entitlement !

Thread Information