Thread: November 22, 1963: the Friday Before Thanksgiving, 1963. Where Were You?

November 22, 1963: the Friday Before Thanksgiving, 1963. Where Were You?

Just a break from politics and a common bonding in truly a national tragedy.

Wednesday, November 22, 2017 marks the fifty-fourth anniversary of President Kennedy's assassination.

As I have previously observed, it would have been a wonder if a forum such as Speak Up existed back in 1963. Can you imagine what the postings would have revealed about the thinking of Western New Yorkers on that day, and how incredible it would be to be able read those posted-thoughts today?

Well, at least incredible to me, but what do I know?

I would like to take this occasion to open a thread and invite those old enough to remember, to share your recollections of that awful day, and those days immediately following the event.

To those who were not alive, or do not have any vivid recollection(s), perhaps you would like to share some anecdotes from family and friends that shared those stories with you.

I would like to share from my private collection, an edition of the "Buffalo Evening News," from November 22, 1963. It is the Metro Edition, which if I understand my history correctly, went to press with a headline about the ground-breaking of the Rath Building, but was re-plated about half-way through printing, and printing resumed with the late-breaking news from Dallas.

(If my understanding is wrong, I would truly appreciate if a "News" historian or expert would straighten me out.)

This paper is unique, in that it reports President Kennedy as still alive, and in serious condition.

Obviously, this edition was printed well before 2:30 p.m., EST. Subsequent editions reported the full extent of the tragedy.

I have also included a YouTube link to the first hour of news reports from CBS, and a link to a YouTube channel that provides all of the television and radio coverage from that weekend before Thanksgiving, fifty-four years ago.

CBS News coverage:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pDOojsg62O0

JFK 1963 Videos:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC7X0LKts7k4FT498Id_x5sg/playlists

Attachments area

Preview YouTube video JFK coverage 12:30pm-1:40pm 11/22/63.

JFK coverage 12:30pm-1:40pm 11/22/63.

Last edited by mark blazejewski; November 17th, 2017 at 02:23 PM.

I was 11 years old. My mom, dad, my brother and I went to D.C. to view the funeral procession.

Georgia L Schlager

Quote Originally Posted by gorja View Post
    I was 11 years old. My mom, dad, my brother and I went to D.C. to view the funeral procession.
    That is incredible Gorja; I certainly can not match such a historic memory.

I was eight years old, plus. I was in third grade at Central Avenue School. I was in the process of washing pencil marks off my desk top, when the Principal came on the PA system at exactly 3:08 p.m.; I noticed the time because the announcements came on everyday at 3:15, right before dismissal, so this was unusually early.

She announced that "President Kennedy and Governor Connally were shot while riding through Dallas, Texas today." (I did not know who the hell Governor Connally was.) She reported that "Governor Connally is in serious condition, and President Kennedy died at two o'clock."

My first mental imaging was a car chasing the President's car like in a Hollywood chase scene.

That night, my father was really a basket case. He had met John Kennedy in 1960. His reaction probably scared me the most,

I remember that entire weekend as if it were yesterday.

Quote Originally Posted by mark blazejewski View Post
    That is incredible Gorja; I certainly can not match such a historic memory.

I was eight years old, plus. I was in third grade at Central Avenue School. I was in the process of washing pencil marks off my desk top, when the Principal came on the PA system at exactly 3:08 p.m.; I noticed the time because the announcements came on everyday at 3:15, right before dismissal, so this was unusually early.

She announced that "President Kennedy and Governor Connally were shot while riding through Dallas, Texas today." (I did not know who the hell Governor Connally was.) She reported that "Governor Connally is in serious condition, and President Kennedy died at two o'clock."

My first mental imaging was a car chasing the President's car like in a Hollywood chase scene.

That night, my father was really a basket case. He had met John Kennedy in 1960. His reaction probably scared me the most,

I remember that entire weekend as if it were yesterday.
    You have a great memory, Mark. I remember a car trying to run us off the road in the hills on the way down there. I really don't remember much of anything else. My parents were separated at that point. I guess, I was anticipating a fight to start and didn't concentrate on much else.

Georgia L Schlager

Quote Originally Posted by gorja View Post
    You have a great memory, Mark. I remember a car trying to run us off the road in the hills on the way down there. I really don't remember much of anything else. My parents were separated at that point. I guess, I was anticipating a fight to start and didn't concentrate on much else.
    Great memory for somethings, just don't ask me where I put the checkbook.

That day was just one of those seminal moments for me Gorja; life-changing in that the assassination exploded my embryonic interest in history and the like.

I can remember that entire weekend, vividly, and even being at a Cub Scout Pack meeting the Thursday night before.

I remember the 22nd as brilliantly sunny, and warm for November, walking home without my jacket; the most striking mental image of the trip home was that of the Central Avenue School flag at half-staff.

Just like yesterday. EEEK!

Thread Information