Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Town Council Elections: IMHO

The Town Council Elections: IMHO

The 2015 Lancaster Town election victories left the Democrat Party in complete control , but in absolute directional confusion. In order to win that year, the party power holders were forced nominate an very likable, but quickly aging, "caretaker" candidate for Supervisor, a rather half-hearted superficial Conservative, and an independent, who sole purpose would be to exist as a piece of political tofo, always absorbing the prevailing political flavor.

The Democrat campaign of 2015 offered no new ideas, no problem remediation, and no bold legislative proposals. That campaign was waged on the singular platform of feminine"civility." Clearly, that victory, won on such a showboat issue, yielded a very shallow governing mandate. In January, 2016, the majority's power was absolute, but its future political direction lacked a functional compass.

It seems to me this is what happened:

[FONT=arial]In an analogy worthy of Isaac and Ishmael, the Supervisor instructed her two "sons," Ruffino and Abraham, to travel to the proverbial fork-in-the-road, and to each embark on the other's opposite.

Abraham would cautiously, quietly walk the side suggestive of the tax and spend past.

Ruffino would boldly venture onto the trail of superficial, if not temporary, conservatism.

The one meeting success first would lay claim to the thrown, and that tested path would set the direction for the future. If both won, the default would go to Abraham.

What emerged in the fall campaign, was not a contest between four men for two Council seats, but two separate elections pitting one specific candidate against one specific opponent.

The first contest required the voters to make a choice between the tax and spend past, and a far more fiscally conservative approach to town government. That election pitted John Abraham, the traditional tax and spend Democrat, against Adam Dickman, an untested, but publicly committed advocate for fiscal conservatism.

That election was handily won by Dickman.

The second election required the voter to size up the candidates personally.

Were Ruffino's new-found conservative values genuine, and did his recent positions assuage voter fears of a future double-cross?

Did Bob Leary represent a credible alternative to the contradictory Ruffino?

Today, the answer to both questions remains unsettled.

No matter how the Ruffino-Leary competition ends, half of the town does not trust Ruffino. Equally, half the town does not feel that Leary is an acceptable alternative.

Ruffino's history haunts him.

Leary on the other hand, the man with the incredible resume, failed to close the deal. His communications were poor, flawed, and awkward. In the closing days, his rather obscure budget analysis gaffe, was so frivolously dismissed that it suggested a rather reckless, if not ill-informed, governing temperament. That gaffe may yet prove fatal.

Moreover, his apparent reliance on the mistaken concept of exclusive "team" campaigning with Mr. Dickman, seemingly showed a lack of confidence, and almost smacked of child-like dependency.

Both are good men. Both are competent men. I supported both men.

But, perhaps it may have been wise for Mr. Leary to have kept a healthy distance from running mate Dickman, not to disassociate, but to independently distinguish; to complement, not to copy; to walk parallel to, but not in lockstep with; to strike out on his own, and boldly advocate for himself, as he would boldly advocate for the citizen.

All-in-all, election day seems to have settled the question of general fiscal philosophy, and has provided the citizen with at least one civil voice for minority dissent. But, there is still one rather outstanding issue: the winner of the second Council seat.

Just my thoughts, but what do I know?
    Last edited by mark blazejewski; November 8th, 2017 at 07:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mark blazejewski View Post
    The 2015 Lancaster Town election victories left the Democrat Party in complete control , but in absolute directional confusion. In order to win that year, the party power holders were forced nominate an very likable, but quickly aging, "caretaker" candidate for Supervisor, a rather half-hearted superficial Conservative, and an independent, who sole purpose would be to exist as a piece of political tofo, always absorbing the prevailing political flavor.

The Democrat campaign of 2015 offered no new ideas, no problem remediation, and no bold legislative proposals. That campaign was waged on the singular platform of feminine"civility." Clearly, that victory, won on such a showboat issue, yielded a very shallow governing mandate. In January, 2016, the majority's power was absolute, but its future political direction lacked a functional compass.

It seems to me this is what happened:

[FONT=arial]In an analogy worthy of Isaac and Ishmael, the Supervisor instructed her two "sons," Ruffino and Abraham, to travel to the proverbial fork-in-the-road, and to each embark on the other's opposite.

Abraham would cautiously, quietly walk the side suggestive of the tax and spend past.

Ruffino would boldly venture onto the trail of superficial, if not temporary, conservatism.

The one meeting success first would lay claim to the thrown, and that tested path would set the direction for the future. If both won, the default would go to Abraham.

What emerged in the fall campaign, was not a contest between four men for two Council seats, but two separate elections pitting one specific candidate against one specific opponent.

The first contest required the voters to make a choice between the tax and spend past, and a far more fiscally conservative approach to town government. That election pitted John Abraham, the traditional tax and spend Democrat, against Adam Dickman, an untested, but publicly committed advocate for fiscal conservatism.

That election was handily won by Dickman.

The second election required the voter to size up the candidates personally.

Were Ruffino's new-found conservative values genuine, and did his recent positions assuage voter fears of a future double-cross?

Did Bob Leary represent a credible alternative to the contradictory Ruffino?

Today, the answer to both questions remains unsettled.

No matter how the Ruffino-Leary competition ends, half of the town does not trust Ruffino. Equally, half the town does not feel that Leary is an acceptable alternative.

Ruffino's history haunts him.

Leary on the other hand, the man with the incredible resume, failed to close the deal. His communications were poor, flawed, and awkward. In the closing days, his rather obscure budget analysis gaffe, was so frivolously dismissed that it suggested a rather reckless, if not ill-informed, governing temperament. That gaffe may yet prove fatal.

Moreover, his apparent reliance on the mistaken concept of exclusive "team" campaigning with Mr. Dickman, seemingly showed a lack of confidence, and almost smacked of child-like dependency.

Both are good men. Both are competent men. I supported both men.

But, perhaps it may have been wise for Mr. Leary to have kept a healthy distance from running mate Dickman, not to disassociate, but to independently distinguish; to complement, not to copy; to walk parallel to, but not in lockstep with; to strike out on his own, and boldly advocate for himself, as he would boldly advocate for the citizen.

All-in-all, election day seems to have settled the question of general fiscal philosophy, and has provided the citizen with at least one civil voice for minority dissent. But, there is still one rather outstanding issue: the winner of the second Council seat.

Just my thoughts, but what do I know?
    If Ruffino does get the 2nd seat, he may have Dickman as an ally in his fiscally conservative
    voting path.
    Always remember one thing when asking for the numbers, get them from Ron the other guy seems to omit about $6,000,000 or so.

Georgia L Schlager

Quote Originally Posted by gorja View Post
    If Ruffino does get the 2nd seat, he may have Dickman as an ally in his fiscally conservative
    voting path.
    Always remember one thing when asking for the numbers, get them from Ron the other guy seems to omit about $6,000,000 or so.
    LMAO Gorja,

"Quisling" became a common noun too.
    Attached Images Attached Images

More absentees will trickle in this week but for now, here are the numbers regarding what needs to be counted.

TOTAL: 371

Dem: 163
    REP: 113
    IND: 18
    BLANK: 55
    CONS: 17
    WF: 4
    G: 1

Quote Originally Posted by DebLemaster View Post
    More absentees will trickle in this week but for now, here are the numbers regarding what needs to be counted.

Thanx Mrs. L.

I think Ruffino will pull this thing out. That IND. line killed Leary.

Hey, Mark:

Regarding your analogy; “the Supervisor instructed her two "sons," Ruffino and Abraham, to travel to the proverbial fork-in-the-road, and to each embark on the other's opposite.” I offer a different perspective on Ruffino.

Ruffino was thrown under the bus by his own party and board. As of late, the supervisor was making phone calls and supporting her favorite son (Abraham) alone.

Like me, Ruffino had to believe the board make up took a turn two years ago when the Democratic Party, bankrupt in viable candidates, endorsed a registered Conservative and a blank to run, and they won. It just so happens that that Conservative and blank were not as independent as one had hoped for and as time passed became more entrenched in supporting the supervisor and Abraham.

Ruffino became the outsider and was rebuffed in presenting resolutions, was the major player in fiscal accountability and the only one to see the budget for what it was and vote ‘no’; and presented valid reasons for doing so. He was the only one who voted ‘no’ two years ago and this year as well to override the tax cap. He has walked the talk on fiscal responsibility.

It is unfortunate that he and Leary are involved in this contest to determine the second board seat. INHO, they were the most qualified candidates.

BTW – Although I do not fault the Republican Party candidates for the inaccurate and disingenuous mailer claim that Ruffino and Abraham voted to raise taxes by 99.72% over the past ten years as the mailer came from the NYRSC Committee in Albany, I found it disturbing that the local Republican Party and/or candidates did not REBUKE it for its disingenuous and fraudulent content.

Thanx Mrs. L.

I think Ruffino will pull this thing out. That IND. line killed Leary.
    Considering many people from both sides of the aisle split their vote this election, anything can happen.

[QUOTE=Lee Chowaniec;1761431]

Ruffino was thrown under the bus by his own party and board. As of late, the supervisor was making phone calls and supporting her favorite son (Abraham) alone.
    As I said, they if both win, the default goes to Abraham, her favorite. Abraham lost, and if my thinking is correct, it seems that Coleman will embrace the wayward son, Ruffino, and set her directional compass accordingly.

Or perhaps, he will accept Coleman's more liberal philosophy, and working with the current incumbents, reduce the effectiveness of Dickman.

My opinions are far less informed than your practical, facts-only analysis, and are based cynical, out-of-the-box, suspicious political thinking.

Just my take, and it is probably subject to reassessment, but this reflects the best analysis that I, at this time, can harmonize in my mind without spitting into the air and catching it.

This much I do know: the next two years will really test the conservative souls of Gaczewsk, Ruffino or Leary, and Dickman.

Taken at FACE VALUE, Lancaster, Coleman or no Coleman, should on paper at any rate, have a conservative Town Council on January 1. If that is not the functional case, , we will all have been lied to and deceived. But, what do I know.?

We'll see hw it plays out that way.
    Last edited by mark blazejewski; November 9th, 2017 at 12:22 PM.

Considering many people from both sides of the aisle split their vote this election, anything can happen.
    How true.

BTW – Although I do not fault the Republican Party candidates for the inaccurate and disingenuous mailer claim that Ruffino and Abraham voted to raise taxes by 99.72% over the past ten years as the mailer came from the NYRSC Committee in Albany, I found it disturbing that the local Republican Party and/or candidates did not REBUKE it for its disingenuous and fraudulent content.
    Lee, the political people do not think like you and I. We feel it is far better to tell the truth, run clean, and better to lose than to deceive. That's why we think that politics in general sucks.

But, perhaps we are the ones living in a "Fool's Paradise." Not to rebuke was the smart thing to do politically.

In fact, I felt entirely uncomfortable with that mailer, and removed it from my FB page after receiving the straight poop from you guys. But, I, like you, do not like the deception game. It not only stains your soul, but your pants as well, when the real s****comes out.

But, is our idealistic virtue practical or even smart?

The Democrats in Lancaster and Erie County invented misleading and dirty politics. The Republicans were always rather hapless and clumsy. Collectively, Lucy, Charlie Brown, and the football, year after year, after year.

This year, although you and I were not fond of it, the Republicans only gave the Democrats so much of what they have so often given, and met with success. Success, because the tactic works.

Perhaps it is the Democrats who should consider the consequences of the Biblical admonishment "Do unto others..."
    Last edited by mark blazejewski; November 9th, 2017 at 12:48 PM.

[QUOTE=mark blazejewski;1761442]
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee Chowaniec View Post

As I said, they if both win, the default goes to Abraham, her favorite. Abraham lost, and if my thinking is correct, it seems that Coleman will embrace the wayward son, Ruffino, and set her directional compass accordingly.

Or perhaps, he will accept Coleman's more liberal philosophy, and working with the current incumbents, reduce the effectiveness of Dickman.

My opinions are far less informed than your practical, facts-only analysis, and are based cynical, out-of-the-box, suspicious political thinking.

Just my take, and it is probably subject to reassessment, but this reflects the best analysis that I, at this time, can harmonize in my mind without spitting into the air and catching it.

This much I do know: the next two years will really test the conservative souls of Gaczewsk, Ruffino or Leary, and Dickman.

Taken at FACE VALUE, Lancaster, Coleman or no Coleman, should on paper at any rate, have a conservative Town Council on January 1. If that is not the functional case, , we will all have been lied to and deceived. But, what do I know.?

We'll see hw it plays out that way.
    Even better, Dawn and Matt start voting and acting like the Conservatives they claim to be.

Even better, Dawn and Matt start voting and acting like the Conservatives they claim to be.
    In a perfect world yes.

Did I ever tell you about the offer the NBA made to me because I am a giant?

Thanks for the data Deb.

My assessment does not mean much, but Johanna split her own town board members by choosing her favorites. That political maneuver was noticed by residents/general public. To her own fault, the election outcome is a reflection of her as a leader as Supervisor. That is pretty basic. Ruffino had no choice but to campaign on his own, his thirst to regain his seat, was also a reflection of his desire to continue serving the public. As for Abraham, his history in having Daddy make his future decisions, that also has been a reflection of his (in)ability to maintain his seat on the town board.

To reflect on any election, at least voters have the choice, if we do not have viable candidates for future elections we become an autocratic society.

Originally posted by Lee Chowaniec:
    I continue to wonder why the local Dems didn't put out the real numbers to debunk that mailer and robocall

Georgia L Schlager

Lee, the political people do not think like you and I. We feel it is far better to tell the truth, run clean, and better to lose than to deceive. That's why we think that politics in general sucks.

But, perhaps we are the ones living in a "Fool's Paradise." Not to rebuke was the smart thing to do politically.

In fact, I felt entirely uncomfortable with that mailer, and removed it from my FB page after receiving the straight poop from you guys. But, I, like you, do not like the deception game. It not only stains your soul, but your pants as well, when the real s****comes out.

But, is our idealistic virtue practical or even smart?

The Democrats in Lancaster and Erie County invented misleading and dirty politics. The Republicans were always rather hapless and clumsy. Collectively, Lucy, Charlie Brown, and the football, year after year, after year.

This year, although you and I were not fond of it, the Republicans only gave the Democrats so much of what they have so often given, and met with success. Success, because the tactic works.

Perhaps it is the Democrats who should consider the consequences of the Biblical admonishment "Do unto others..."
    As I have repeatedly posted, Mark, I have little respect for either the Lancaster Democrat or Republican Party Committees – a ship of fools detracting from candidate qualifications and strengths.

As a 'blank' if I choose to base my opinion on fact and then opine as to the candidate that I think best serves the community’s best interest, than it matters not to me that I’m considered a fool – I have been true to myself; I owe no allegiance to any party.

The mailer in question was plain disingenuous horse**** regardless if it served a purpose in getting a candidate elected.

As I posted earlier, it is disappointing to me that the second seat will go to only one of the two candidates I thought was best qualified. And what I especially liked is that they both come from the private sector and are not (hopefully) union conflicted.

But I believe Ruffino would be the stronger player if he holds to his new found convictions and does not sell out to Johanna and the Party to be endorsed for Supervisor in two years. He will not be Johanna’s chosen successor if he waffles and does not do the bidding of the Party.

Walter will become mama’s chosen one for now; especially since Walter has shed that independent persona and became more of a lap-dog for Coleman.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information