Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: The Town Council Elections: IMHO

Quote Originally Posted by mark blazejewski View Post
    Hey "Breezy," is this one of your all-knowing sources? Look at the video. Go to :29 into the video. Your wording is identical to the "sources."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WSaS17CSS4c

That figures "Breezy." Ages eight and up, just your speed.
    "Signs point to yes." https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magic_8-Ball

Quote Originally Posted by Breezy View Post
    Love it!

My cousin had one of those in the mid-1960s, and I recalled the response. YouTube confirmed it. Just a little GOOD-NATURED, for a change, teasing at ya "Breezy." No harm intended.

By the way, I just consulted it. My questions and the responses:

"Ruffino or Leary?" "Cannot predict now."

"Will there be a miracle in the 8th?" "My sources say no."

But what does a toy know?
    Last edited by mark blazejewski; November 11th, 2017 at 01:58 PM.

I guess I am one of those people who follow local government, yet, I don't personally know a lot of the players.

That's not such a surprise in this modern era with online forums such as this one.

Even commenters have sources, as I have said many times: My neighbor is involved and is a Dem committeeman.

I thought I did reply to your questions, Lee.

Ask again if you need more info.

Reread post #38. There were several questions that went unanswered.

So, you didn't go to meetings when Fudoli was in office but you learned of his shortcomings and called him and Brainard the most despicable names and your justification came from listening to a Democratic Committee member and from reading the liberal Buffalo News and Lancaster Bee newspapers. I'm impressed - not.

You have posted that people give you too much credit. I don't, nor do many other posters on the Lancaster thread.

Quote Originally Posted by gorja View Post
    Is that the mayor and his woman?
    I knew one of them was full of __ __ __ __
    They both are. They _ _ _ _alternate Mondays.

Originally Posted By "Breezy"

I did not see anyone throw anyone under any bus, but I did see people go in their own direction, which is not uncommon from what I've seen in politics over the years, and sure they could become close and work together in the future, including Mr. Dickman. Look on the bright side for once, Lee. Heck, maybe you can even try to encourage it!
    Actually, I sort of agree with this.

The more I think about this election, and the two years leading up to it, I am becoming more comfortable with the idea that Coleman has been molding the Town Council in the interests of her own quest for near-absolute power.

No matter how things shake-out in the absentee ballot counting, that Council will have a "Conservative," a "Blank," and a "Republican." It will be complete with another "R" or "D," but no one titled party will have absolute control.

The Town Council will have devolved to a into a disparate group of individuals, without any real ability to function as united, threatening palace schemers.

Its members will be required to work together on some real problems, but, in more instances than not, because of her powers to set the agenda, and to reward or penalize the Council members, that same disparate group will be forced to respond to, an be controlled by, the self-serving whims of Coleman.

Lancaster will be governed by a neatly packaged bundle of interests, grievances, and differences, held together by the functional strap that is the Town Council. The buckle of that strap will be Supervisor Coleman. She will have all of them by the short hairs.

If she actually planned all of that, and I am really beginning to think that may have been the case, it was a master stroke of Machiavellian genius.
    Last edited by mark blazejewski; November 11th, 2017 at 05:49 PM.

mark blazejewski

The more I think about this election, and the two years leading up to it, I am becoming more comfortable with the idea that Coleman has been molding the Town Council in the interests of her own quest for near-absolute power.

No matter how things shake-out in the absentee ballot counting, that Council will have a "Conservative," a "Blank," and a "Republican." It will be complete with another "R" or "D," but no one titled party will have absolute control.
    The council had a Conservative and a ‘blank’ elected to the board two years ago. They have morphed and became Coleman’s minions. If Leary is victorious the board makeup will be three Democrats and two Republicans. If Ruffino wins, three Democrats, a Republican and someone I see becoming the true independent in the board.

The Town Council will have devolved to a into a disparate group of individuals, without any real ability to function as united, threatening palace schemers.
    Not really. It will still be a three to two Democratic Party majority regardless who wins. I thought things would change two years ago but as time went by Ruffino was the only one casting a dissenting vote and recently not even getting some resolutions he wanted to sponsor to the floor.

Its members will be required to work together on some real problems, but, in more instances than not, because of her powers to set the agenda, and to reward or penalize the Council members, that same disparate group will be forced to respond to, an be controlled by, the self-serving whims of Coleman.

Lancaster will be governed by a neatly packaged bundle of interests, grievances, and differences, held together by the functional strap that is the Town Council. The buckle of that strap will be Supervisor Coleman. She will have all of them by the short hairs.
    Indeed!

If she actually planned all of that, and I am really beginning to think that may have been the case, it was a master stroke of Machiavellian genius
    Only if she is able to turn Dickman and/or Leary/Trump into minions as she did Walter and Gaczewski. Anything is possible in politics – and this campaign was one was the strangest I have experienced.

Lastly, your post was in response to Breezy’s post:

Originally Posted By "Breezy"

I did not see anyone throw anyone under any bus, but I did see people go in their own direction, which is not uncommon from what I've seen in politics over the years, and sure they could become close and work together in the future, including Mr. Dickman. Look on the bright side for once, Lee. Heck, maybe you can even try to encourage it!

If Breezy’s source told him that Coleman did not throw Ruffino under the bus, perhaps Breezy should inform his source that omission in supporting your party’s candidate is equivalent to covert subversion. Ruffino got nothing from Coleman!

Please Mark, don’t drink Breezy’s Kool Aid when he advocates for Dickman working together with the political opposition. That is Breezy code for hoping Dickman can be turned.

I voted for two Dems and two Reps in this year’s election basing my decision on best qualified candidates who interests I believe will best serve the interests of the community. That is true bipartisanship. Ask the Breeze who he voted for. I would be shocked if he voted for a Republican; but I wouldn’t put it past him to lie that he did.

If there is not board harmony all the time and where there are not unanimous ‘yes’ resolution votes all the time that’s a good thing. That is democracy at work. However, the board member should give good reason for his or her dissenting vote.

At the same time, it would be advisable for a board member who claims he favored sponsoring a resolution but did not pursue doing so it because he was privately told he would not get a motion second should sponsor and submit the resolution anyway. It allows for open governance and gives the public the opportunity to question those members not supporting the resolution on reasons why.

Please Mark, don’t drink Breezy’s Kool Aid when he advocates for Dickman working together with the political opposition. That is Breezy code for hoping Dickman can be turned.
    Code talk, absolutely.

Quote Originally Posted by mark blazejewski View Post
    Code talk, absolutely.

At the same time, it would be advisable for a board member who claims he favored sponsoring a resolution but did not pursue doing so it because he was privately told he would not get a motion second should sponsor and submit the resolution anyway. It allows for open governance and gives the public the opportunity to question those members not supporting the resolution on reasons why.
    That would indeed tell us a great deal about the meanings of the words "victim" vs. "conspirator." I agree with this suggestion 100%.

Lee Chowaniec

If there is not board harmony all the time and where there are not unanimous ‘yes’ resolution votes all the time that’s a good thing. That is democracy at work. However, the board member should give good reason for his or her dissenting vote.
    I agree.

But, what I am saying Lee, is that Coleman is not concerned about Democrat Party politics. She is concerned about Coleman (she just happens to be a Democrat) Party politics. I'll invent a new phrase: "Colemanism."

It will be in the area of patronage and power consolidation that the genius of this maneuvered will, I believe, be revealed.

I haven't flipped my cork Lee; I am merely reacting intellectually to how all of these pieces came together on election day.
    Last edited by mark blazejewski; November 12th, 2017 at 10:47 AM.

Lee: "My sources say no. Ask again later."

Dude, that rant was all over the place.

LOL

When I saw gorja replace her 'avatar' to include Mr. Abraham, I just assumed she was throwing her support his way...

"Signs point to yes."

Sure shortstuff has every right to chime in, as do I when she is completely off her rocker!

"It is decidedly so."

Maybe for once you can see the glass half full, as opposed to half empty.

I don't believe I said anything implying you were helping Ted Morton; I only was pointing out that if I had any 'plan' this election cycle on SPEAKUP WNY, it was to help see a change in this important position and especially after those awful mailers hit, that this race constituted most of my writing. That's all. Heck, I'm glad you didn't help Ted's campaign, maybe it's your own realization that your efforts of late have hurt most of your candidate's chances these past few election cycles...

"You may rely on it."

Dude the election is over, give it a rest.

Oh I'm not off my rocker, and no I speak common sense, but you Breezy take the cake for being the "ultimate bully" on this website. But it's ok.....

Every person has a right to their opinion even if it does not fit the "Democratic" narrative.

Did I read the Lancaster Bee wrong or is it really true that Matt Walters and Dawn G. are Democrats? Our Lancaster journalist, forgot her name, put in the news that the board is comprised of 5 Democrats. Just wondering if anyone saw that.....

Quote Originally Posted by shortstuff View Post
    Did I read the Lancaster Bee wrong or is it really true that Matt Walters and Dawn G. are Democrats? Our Lancaster journalist, forgot her name, put in the news that the board is comprised of 5 Democrats. Just wondering if anyone saw that.....
    Shortstuff, in 2015 the Democrats pooled from talent that were not affiliated Democrats. IMHO, possibly the first application of "Colemanism."

But, to weigh-in on your question, I assume "The Bee" was referencing the fact that those two successful 2015 Council candidates were elected, in large measure, because they had spots on "Row A," their non-affiliated status notwithstanding.

Quote Originally Posted by shortstuff View Post
    Was that in this week's Bee? I've read the article over 4 or 5 times and find what you speak

Georgia L Schlager

Quote Originally Posted by gorja View Post
    Was that in this week's Bee? I've read the article over 4 or 5 times and find what you speak
    Can't find

Georgia L Schlager

Mr. Dickman's post-election comments to "The Bee:"

“If [Leary] doesn’t pull it off, I know there are still the absentees and things like that, I might have a small challenge being the only Republican on the board. I feel that I can work with everybody that’s on there. I can work with them as long as they’re willing to work with me.”
    I LIKE THIS COMMENT VERY MUCH:

I might have a small challenge being the only Republican on the board. I feel that I can work with everybody that’s on there.

THIS COMMENT IS EVEN BETTER, HOPEFULLY A FUTURE VOICE IN OPPOSITION TO "COLEMANISM:"

I can work with them as long as they’re willing to work with me.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread Information