Thread: Remember Pearl Harbor

Remember Pearl Harbor

Please think about this

Medals of America

Remembering Pearl Harbor

At dawn on Sunday, December 7, 1941 65 years ago today, naval aviation forces of the Empire of Japan attacked the United States Pacific Fleet center at Pearl Harbor, Hawaii and other military targets. The goal of this attack was to sufficiently cripple the US Fleet so that Japan could then attack and capture the Phillipines and Indo-China and so secure access to the raw materials needed to maintain its position as a global military and economic power. Airfields, port facilities, and warships were attacked and severely damaged. Of the nine Pacific Fleet battleships at Pearl that day, Utah and Arizona were completely destroyed and the Oklahoma was salvaged but considered obsolete and designated for scrap. All other battleships were returned to service. The expected result of the attack was to cripple the U. S. Pacific Fleet for a period of up to eighteen months, preventing aggressive action against imperial forces, with the fleet to later be drawn out into a final battle and destroyed. This goal eluded the Japanese as U. S. forces were acting aggressively in the South Pacific within 60 days and the fleet was fully effective within a year. There was never the kind of massive fleet battle that the Japanese hoped for. The attack was almost a complete tactical success. By a matter of chance, of the three of the Pacific Fleet carriers that would normally be at Pearl that morning, two were at sea on exercises and one was on the U. S. west coast undergoing maintenance. Not knowing the location of these ships that could attack his strike force would cause the tactical commander, Admiral Nagumo to withdraw before a planned third strike, sparing the Pacific Fleet submarine force, important maintenance facilities and critical fuel supplies. The survival of the repair shops would enable rapid restoration of the fighting capability of the fleet. The carriers would enable the first blow to be struck against the Japanese homeland in the Doolittle raid, would prove to be decisive in the Battle of the Coral Sea, where the Japanese forces were turned back in their thrust toward Australia, and would prove essential to U. S. success in the Battle of Midway Island, where naval aviation forces from U.S. carriers sank four Imperial carriers.

Pearl Harbor was a wake up call for my parent's generation. Hawaii wasn't even a state at the time.

Now, even the bombing of the World Trade Center doesn't wake up the country. Osama Bin Laden's biggest ally are Democratic liberals unleashing their hissy-fit "Bush Lied" fury on our own government.

What outrageous act are we opening ourselves up to?

Do tens of thousands have to die before we realize the importance of "semper paratus"?
    Truth springs from argument among friends.

Quote Originally Posted by biker
    Pearl Harbor was a wake up call for my parent's generation. Hawaii wasn't even a state at the time.

Now, even the bombing of the World Trade Center doesn't wake up the country. Osama Bin Laden's biggest ally are Democratic liberals unleashing their hissy-fit "Bush Lied" fury on our own government.

Do tens of thousands have to die before we realize the importance of "semper paratus"?
    And Saddam Hussein and Osama bin Laden are one and the same? No.

And Saddam Hussein and Osama bin Laden are best buddies? No.

Was Saddam Hussein running terrorist training camps? No.

Was Saddam Hussein party to the 9/11 attacks? No.

So, biker, please explain how the invasion of Iraq and the waste of 2900+ American lives makes the US safer from another 9/11 terror attack?
    Your right to buy a military weapon without hindrance, delay or training cannot trump Daniel Barden’s right to see his eighth birthday. -- Jim Himes

We might not see eye to eye but on this one we agree

Quote Originally Posted by Linda_D

So, biker, please explain how the invasion of Iraq and the waste of 2900+ American lives makes the US safer from another 9/11 terror attack?
    Its pearl Harbor day.Lets think of the 2,400 americans who arent posting on some web site today. God rest there souls.Thank a WW2 vet today.

Quote Originally Posted by Cgoodsp466
    Please think about this

Medals of America

Remembering Pearl Harbor

At dawn on Sunday, December 7, 1941 65 years ago today, naval aviation forces of the Empire of Japan attacked the United States Pacific Fleet center at Pearl Harbor, Hawaii and other military targets. The goal of this attack was to sufficiently cripple the US Fleet so that Japan could then attack and capture the Phillipines and Indo-China and so secure access to the raw materials needed to maintain its position as a global military and economic power. Airfields, port facilities, and warships were attacked and severely damaged. Of the nine Pacific Fleet battleships at Pearl that day, Utah and Arizona were completely destroyed and the Oklahoma was salvaged but considered obsolete and designated for scrap. All other battleships were returned to service. The expected result of the attack was to cripple the U. S. Pacific Fleet for a period of up to eighteen months, preventing aggressive action against imperial forces, with the fleet to later be drawn out into a final battle and destroyed. This goal eluded the Japanese as U. S. forces were acting aggressively in the South Pacific within 60 days and the fleet was fully effective within a year. There was never the kind of massive fleet battle that the Japanese hoped for. The attack was almost a complete tactical success. By a matter of chance, of the three of the Pacific Fleet carriers that would normally be at Pearl that morning, two were at sea on exercises and one was on the U. S. west coast undergoing maintenance. Not knowing the location of these ships that could attack his strike force would cause the tactical commander, Admiral Nagumo to withdraw before a planned third strike, sparing the Pacific Fleet submarine force, important maintenance facilities and critical fuel supplies. The survival of the repair shops would enable rapid restoration of the fighting capability of the fleet. The carriers would enable the first blow to be struck against the Japanese homeland in the Doolittle raid, would prove to be decisive in the Battle of the Coral Sea, where the Japanese forces were turned back in their thrust toward Australia, and would prove essential to U. S. success in the Battle of Midway Island, where naval aviation forces from U.S. carriers sank four Imperial carriers.
    Those carriers being out of Pearl was probably the greatest piece of luck (or Providence if you believe that "God Was On Our Side") the US had in WWII in the Pacific. The Japanese were counting on knocking out the US in one blow because they knew they lacked the resources to win a protracted war.

Like Georgie the CocaCola Cowboy and his neocon cheerleaders sixty years later, the Japanese suffered from a surfeit of hubris.
    Your right to buy a military weapon without hindrance, delay or training cannot trump Daniel Barden’s right to see his eighth birthday. -- Jim Himes

Quote Originally Posted by Cgoodsp466
    Its pearl Harbor day.Lets think of the 2,400 americans who arent posting on some web site today. God rest there souls.Thank a WW2 vet today.
    My father and uncles all served in WWII. I wouldn't have even brought up Iraq if another poster didn't use this thread to try to justify the CocaCola Cowboy invading Iraq as a response to 9/11.

You are the direct descendant of the cowardly, turncoat, traitorous isolationists who 65+ years ago whined that "Hitler is Europe's problem."

You cost American blood then and your constant, cowardly carping will cost us now.

An ideologue like you can never understand what a "safe haven" Iraq was for the terrorists.

What do you think these thugs do? Sign a mutual support pact and sit down for a group photo?

Terrorists clearly identifying themselves has about the same probablility of occurrence as the national Democrats clearly laying out their agenda prior to an election.

Which is why the two are a mutual support group.

Soul mates, if you will.

And you fit right in with them.

You are the direct descendant of the cowardly, turncoat, traitorous isolationists who 65+ years ago whined that "Hitler is Europe's problem."

You cost American blood then and your constant, cowardly carping will cost us now.
    Sorry, but my pedigree is all New Deal Democrat, especially since it was my relatives in Poland Hitler was baking in his ovens!

An ideologue like you can never understand what a "safe haven" Iraq was for the terrorists.

What do you think these thugs do? Sign a mutual support pact and sit down for a group photo?

Terrorists clearly identifying themselves has about the same probablility of occurrence as the national Democrats clearly laying out their agenda prior to an election.

Which is why the two are a mutual support group.

Soul mates, if you will.

And you fit right in with them.
    ROFLMAO. Hello, Pot.

BTW, did any of your relatives serve in WWII?

I was reading an interesting article in the Tribune the other day. Back when Pearl Harbor happened, the right chastised FRD for a conspiracy in allowing Pearl Harbor to happen so we could go to war. 60 some years later it is the Left chastising Bush for a conspiracy in allowing 9/11 to happen so he could go to war.

Although the story is the same, the sides flipped. What is also the same over the last 100 years is the rest of the world does not like the US. Yes we have good relationships with other countries, but if they could dispose of our culture they would do it in a New York minute.

You draw the line that Saddam Hussein is not connected to Osama bin Laden. This may be true, it may be false. What is true is Saddam Hussein hates the United States. Osama bin Laden hates the United States. Saddam Hussein was the leader of a nation where Osama bin Laden gained support. Saddam may not ever be linked to supporting Al Qaeda but it is fact that he did NOTHING to curb it's growth. This view of indifference is just a powerful in a negative way as outright support.

I will give you the war has been managed horribly. I will give you that there were no WMD. I will give you that there has been too many casualties for my liking in the middle east. Just 1 was 1 too many.

What I will not agree with you is any claim that the war has NOT countered efforts to attack US citizens on US soil. 9/11 was not intended to be a one time deal. It was meant to be the fight that started the war and eventually brought down the "Imperialists US regime." The fact that this war was moved to the Middle East instead of the streets of suburbia is a victory in itself. The fact that those doing the fighting are armed with guns not cell phones and briefcases is another victory.

I do not like being at war. Not one bit. But we are and we will be as long as we continue to BE THE UNITED STATES. What you have to remember is WAR is started by one party attacking another. For everyone who views the US as the attacker in Iraq is simple minded. Sometimes the best defense is an offense. As long as this is the case, I want that fight to be as far away from my family and done by those who are trained to fight.

I will guarantee you this. The moment we leave Iraq is the moment the encore to 9/11 goes to the drawing board and without having to worry about interruptions, I am sure it is going to be big!

hum

My father and uncles all served in WWII. I wouldn't have even brought up Iraq if another poster didn't use this thread to try to justify the CocaCola Cowboy invading Iraq as a response to 9/11.

I agree...being a combat war vet myself, and my father was at Peral that Sunday morning 1941...The second US Ship hit by Japan....he died 1987.

I like you people to keep this thread to those vets of 1941, and not use it as your bantor for iraq....you can't control that which you have no control over, and those powers to be don't care what you think...get it....There are people like me who does care about 1941 so, keep it on here 1941.
    Riven37
    _________
    All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent. Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by Riven37
    I agree...being a combat war vet myself, and my father was at Peral that Sunday morning 1941...The second US Ship hit by Japan....he died 1987.

I like you people to keep this thread to those vets of 1941, and not use it as your bantor for iraq....you can't control that which you have no control over, and those powers to be don't care what you think...get it....There are people like me who does care about 1941 so, keep it on here 1941.
    God bless you sir.My Father passed away in 2001,USCG Convoy duty North Atlantic. 1942 till end of war. God bless all their souls.

Thread Information