Thread: ConCon

ConCon

Just so everyone remembers, next Tuesday is Election Day and there is a proposal on the ballot to call a Constitutional Convention. This proposal must be defeated if there is to be any hope for the long term survival and revitalization of upstate NY. I offer no further proof than that the Convetion is supported by the NYS Bar Association. One of their gripes with the current constitution? It directs that, in guardianship and adoption decisions, an attempt should be made to place a child with a family who shares common religious beliefs. I’ve talked with enough born again Christians trying to adopt, to know that among adoption social workers in Erie County there is a profound dislike for born agains and concerted efforts are made to deny them adoption rights. The Bar Association wants to use the Constitution to deny such common sense provisions of law. Betcha they’ll push to substitute a provision that gives favored status as adoptive parents to those who live “alternative” lifestyles.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Betcha they’ll push to substitute a provision that gives favored status as adoptive parents to those who live “alternative” lifestyles.
    That is one of the few sticking points with me. Should same sex couples be allowed to adopt a child. I think not.

A child should have a mother and father figure.

This proposal must be defeated if there is to be any hope for the long term survival and revitalization of upstate NY.
    So if we all vote no doesn't this mean status quo continues without a state convention?

Of course, if one wants other reasons to oppose the Convention, it is supported by the loonies at the editorial desks of the Buffalo Snooze, the Syracuse Substandard, er Post Standard and other such wastes of the old growth forests.

WNY, the constitution can be amended through the normal amendment process. We don’t need a Convention to change it.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    I was told items like the taylor law including laws that give us mandates can not be changed without a state convention.

I always thought that the Taylor Law and the others were enacted by the legislature and can be amended or repealed by the legislature. In fact they amend the Taylor from time to time, for example the horrible Triborough Amendment. Whether they have the political stones to do it is another matter. Maybe that’s what they meant when they said it would take a Convention to change them. But if there’s a Convention it will be dominated by NYC and NYC Democrats because that’s where the population and wealth are. Given the success of the generations long effort of the Cuomos to strip upstate of wealth and population, the choice is to continue the death by small cuts that upstate is suffering or call a Convention and have the the NYC Dems apply the coup de grace that will lead to a real tidal wave of upstaters fleeing.

Here's all 3 of the propositions on the ballot.And I thought if you got convicted you lost your pension.I was told that was reason #1 maziarz stepped down without a fight.If he gets convicted he still keeps his pension because he's no longer in office.
    https://www.elections.ny.gov/ProposedAmendments.html

70, it is an amendment to the constitution and only becomes effective if approved by a majority of those casting a vote in a statewide referendum. This is that referendum. It becomes effective 1/1/18 if it passes.

Quote Originally Posted by grump View Post
    Just so everyone remembers, next Tuesday is Election Day and there is a proposal on the ballot to call a Constitutional Convention. This proposal must be defeated if there is to be any hope for the long term survival and revitalization of upstate NY. I offer no further proof than that the Convetion is supported by the NYS Bar Association. One of their gripes with the current constitution? It directs that, in guardianship and adoption decisions, an attempt should be made to place a child with a family who shares common religious beliefs. I’ve talked with enough born again Christians trying to adopt, to know that among adoption social workers in Erie County there is a profound dislike for born agains and concerted efforts are made to deny them adoption rights. The Bar Association wants to use the Constitution to deny such common sense provisions of law. Betcha they’ll push to substitute a provision that gives favored status as adoptive parents to those who live “alternative” lifestyles.
    Why is religion even a question during adoption?
    People who wonder if the glass is half empty or full miss the point. The glass is refillable.

Because state law says so. It’s not mandatory but it does make some sense at least to some people.

Thread Information