Thread: 100% Assessments - what difference does it make in the end?

Tony Fracasso - Admin

100% Assessments - what difference does it make in the end?

I notices current board members running this year are making a point telling us they voted "NO" for going to 100% assessments.

I'm pretty sure Tim and Jim both included that in their talking points.

Why would they think by voting "no" we should vote for them.

A little reading before commenting:

How property taxes are calculated

Equalization rates

100% assessment is fine if the rate goes down which it is supposed to. So no Kabuki Theater here, just simple math instead of having to factor in tax rate and % assessment.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    So what is the point of them mentioning this?

Quote Originally Posted by WNYresident View Post
    So what is the point of them mentioning this?
    They're feeding into the beliefs of those that think when we went to 100% valuation it caused our taxes to go up

When the facts are the tax rate and increased home values coupled with reassessments has caused their tax bill to increase.

Their tax bill probably went up because the town spent more.

Quote Originally Posted by grump View Post
    Their tax bill probably went up because the town spent more.
    Yes, that is reflected in the increase in tax rate. Some mandate like the sewer repairs, some of it the board fault like the seemingly never ending funds spent on the ice rink.

Unregistered
    Every minute & second getting closer and closer and closer........to going Insolvent and on the road to going Insolvent is becoming the new East Side, LOL LOL
    You would think people could see this happing, but then again the brainwashing & cult like following of One Buffalo & Buffalo Love is working.

Quote Originally Posted by jennifer7 View Post
    Every minute & second getting closer and closer and closer........to going Insolvent and on the road to going Insolvent is becoming the new East Side, LOL LOL
    You would think people could see this happing, but then again the brainwashing & cult like following of One Buffalo & Buffalo Love is working.
    You have them confused with West Seneca. as of 2017 Cheektowaga is not getting closer to insolvency, they have a very good credit rating with moody's , They are cutting spending ( sure they can still cut more and will). They aren't spending more then they take in, because they are the highest taxed town in Erie County (according to the counties list), but soon to be over thrown by West Seneca which is spending more then they take in, using reserves and looking at a proposed 12.8% tax increase.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Electric Eye View Post
    You have them confused with West Seneca. as of 2017 Cheektowaga is not getting closer to insolvency, they have a very good credit rating with moody's , They are cutting spending ( sure they can still cut more and will). They aren't spending more then they take in, because they are the highest taxed town in Erie County (according to the counties list), but soon to be over thrown by West Seneca which is spending more then they take in, using reserves and looking at a proposed 12.8% tax increase.

Spending isn't being cut where it makes the most difference.

Saving 20k on paper supplies is not something that makes a real difference on someone tax bill.

Spending isn't being cut where it makes the most difference.

Saving 20k on paper supplies is not something that makes a real difference on someone tax bill.
    $1.7mil in cuts/reductions made it in the 2017 adopted budget.
    The savings are much bigger then $20k....combined $1.9 million in cuts were recommend for the 2018 budget, should have been more. We will see what makes it into the adopted budget by or on the 20th.

A 10% Increase in Blue cross and Blue shield, pay increase of 2-3% for union employees and min wage going up in 2018 ate up all or most of the cuts, recommendations were made for down the road at contract talks, plus ways to better control and further cut discretionary spending....In the end money basically went from the right pocket to the left one...and that pisses me off because I had pushed for bigger cuts but got out voted. The proposed budget increase should have been very close to zero at best with the recommended cuts. I won't be happy until we have a double digit percentage cut in our tax bills.....we can't take 20yrs to undo what took decades to create! it really needs to be done NOW but UNION contracts prevent it.
    Last edited by Electric Eye; November 12th, 2017 at 12:34 PM.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    I was using the figure as an example.

.In the end money basically went from the right pocket to the left one.
    Cuts weren't made.

Cuts are made when the budget goes down where it makes a difference to the people who pay the bills.

I need to go clean leaves out of the gutters.....

I was using the figure as an example.

Cuts weren't made.

Cuts are made when the budget goes down where it makes a difference to the people who pay the bills.

I need to go clean leaves out of the gutters.....
    That's the glass half full or half empty mentality, but you are right, the only thing that matters is if the tax bill is less then the year before! and I'm not satisfied with anything less then a noticeable decrease in my bill.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    In the end we are basically getting "less" each year seeing cuts are made mostly in material type goods. Paper, staples etc.

Thread Information