Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My "Choices" For Town Council

My "Choices" For Town Council

I have stated on a number of occasions, that I have not, and will not, publicly support any candidate in the 2017 Town of Lancaster elections.

Therefore, I was very surprised to read the "Breezy" membership account's attempt to link me to the Dickman campaign singularly based upon what he perceives to have been my complete support for the 2015 Republican Town ticket.

I also note its highly exaggerated observation that I "emptied" my "wallet" into the Brainard campaign. (Really "Breezy," if a fifty-dollar ticket to a Brainard event caused my wallet to be empty, I have much bigger problems than local Lancaster politics.)

With respect to the "Breezy" membership account, that account, IMHO, is not a "who" with an opinion, but an "it" with a function. That function, consistent with Chairman Zellner's commitment to exploit social media, seems to serve as the Democrat Party's opposition research/rapid reaction instrument on Speak Up.

(I relate parenthetically that the Republican and Conservative Parties would be well served with such a membership account.)

The "Breezy" observations notwithstanding, as one who is now an unaffiliated voter, I view the 2017 campaign election as a "fix-is-in" election.

As I see this campaign, the "fix" takes the following form:

(1) Ron Ruffino is plastering mailboxes with personal exulted pronouncements highlighting his recent, but hopefully not temporary, conservative conversion. This may win Ruffino conservative voters, and together with his natural Democrat base, should ensure him victory. Therefore, mailing one, mailing two, and I expect more.

(2) Regarding Mr. Dickman, he benefits from his Fire Department and high-profile village connections. Those village associations, along with his Republican line, may, and probably will, give him a victory. Any personal informational mailing may tend to highlight, his respectable, but very thin, resume.

To date, I have received no such mailing. For now, and anticipated future: "Crickets."

(3) Mr. Abraham, apparently unlucky in an attempt to stage a third consecutive Democrat Party "coup" to "snag" the Conservative Party line, will cross his fingers and hope for the best. But, he too, seems hesitant to highly promote a record subject to scrutiny and criticism.

Therefore, I would be surprised to experience anything but "Crickets."

(4) Tragically, this leaves Mr. Leary. I simply do not understand the Republican Party's limited, and I must say rather awkward, presentation of this eminently qualified man.

IF I had any Republican Party influence, that hefty resume, blending tested public service with expert private sector experience, would be shouted from the mountain top. Regrettably, and to my amazement: "Sad Crickets."

I wish Messrs. Ruffino, Dickman, Abraham, and Leary good luck and good fortune, but as I have observed above, the "fix-is-in" for this election cycle, and as such, the 2017 campaign is a hill not worth publicly dying for.
    Last edited by mark blazejewski; October 19th, 2017 at 05:51 PM.

Mr Mark,

Thank you for presenting your views of the outcome of the upcoming election. I do hope your forecast is partially wrong but can see how you derived your conclusion.

The Republicans literature seems to say that they don't want to stay the course of the current board but NEVER UTTER A WORD in opposition at any board meetings

One would conclude that they are satisfied with the status quo, IMHO.

Georgia L Schlager

Quote Originally Posted by gorja View Post
    Mr Mark,

Thank you for presenting your views of the outcome of the upcoming election. I do hope your forecast is partially wrong but can see how you derived your conclusion.

The Republicans literature seems to say that they don't want to stay the course of the current board but NEVER UTTER A WORD in opposition at any board meetings

One would conclude that they are satisfied with the status quo, IMHO.
    Those irrelevant views Ms. Gorja just represent my cold, if not fully informed, analysis as an unaffiliated, independent voter.

As I have said, I do enjoy the fifty-yard-line spectator's view.

This year, my wallet is overflowing with $50. I just may donate that money to a local food PANTRY, and IN TIME for the holidays. That's not something everyone can say.

Timeliness: What a uplifting concept!
    Last edited by mark blazejewski; October 20th, 2017 at 03:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mark blazejewski View Post
    Those irrelevant views Ms. Gorja just represent my cold, if not fully informed, analysis as an unaffiliated, independent voter.

As I have said, I do enjoy the fifty-yard-line spectator's view.

This year, my wallet is overflowing with $50. I just may donate that money to a local food PANTRY, and IN TIME for the holidays. That's not something everyone can say.

Timeliness: What a uplifting concept!
    Just LOVE it!!!!!

Georgia L Schlager

Just LOVE it!!!!!
    Aw shucks Ms. Gorja, I just get lucky sometime.

Aw shucks Ms. Gorja, I just get lucky sometime.
    At least, someone is

Georgia L Schlager

LOL Mark & gorja
    I enjoyed the banter....

Well in all fairness, as we have seen in the past, words have a way of being distorted by the opposing party. So few words or less is best IMHO.

They are being respectful to the opposing party and current sitting board members, I like that. Although the Republicans espouse the same message, fiscal responsibility, I do feel the current crisis (drug abuse) could be emphasized....again the candidates will have to be more aggressive all on their own.....become a household name.

[QUOTE=shortstuff;1756217]LOL Mark & gorja
    I enjoyed the banter....

Well in all fairness, as we have seen in the past, words have a way of being distorted by the opposing party. So few words or less is best IMHO.
    Shortstuff,

I agree to a large extent, and your words of caution reflect experienced-based wisdom.

To be sure, the wording and the presentation of "the message" are important; the carefully assessed "best foot forward" one might say.

Regrettably, "the other side" will always exploit and distort its opponents' message, that is the "nature of the political beast."

IMHO, a clear message, spoken with vision, substance, and dignified civility, is a necessary component to the education of the voter, the success of the campaign, and the perceived foundation of good governance.

Again, in my very humble, if not worthless opinion, a candidate should not, and can not, walk in trepidation, or speak with timidity. To do so, is not to campaign, but to crouch. Applied to the world of elective office, such behavior is not advocacy, but suppliant acquiescence.

My unsolicited, and rather uninformed advise, is to be bold, but not reckless; to be visionary, but not illusory; to be direct, but dignified.

I am confident that all of your candidates are fully capable of applying those traits, and will give Lancaster clear choices and a campaign that the town and the candidates can be proud of.

Ah, as usual you speak great wisdom. I agree with the majority of your thoughts here.

These folks actually running on the Republican ticket, are pretty nice folks. I like their reasons behind running for the town board seats, it’s courageous. Throwing ones hat out there wanting to be a public servant in these times???? Well I believe they have heart & spirit...

Night kiddo

Quote Originally Posted by shortstuff View Post
    Ah, as usual you speak great wisdom. I agree with the majority of your thoughts here.

These folks actually running on the Republican ticket, are pretty nice folks. I like their reasons behind running for the town board seats, it’s courageous. Throwing ones hat out there wanting to be a public servant in these times???? Well I believe they have heart & spirit...

Night kiddo
    I know I could not do it Shortstuff. I certainly am not temperamentally suited for running for office.

Hell, I can't give a candidate $50 without a party hack characterizing me as Jock Ewing telling Bobby "Here's a suitcase full of money, take it to Austin and spread it around."

$50 does not go as far as it used to.

Back at ya Shortstuff. Night.

Seriously; this is it

First off, I want to thank Gorja for posting the campaign mailers and who will continue to do so in the hope that future mailers may provide relevant information that leads one to make a good voting determination for Lancaster Town Council choice.

The common thread for both political parties thus far appears to be (IMHO):

Democrat mailers

Holding the line on taxes and limiting debt

(Timing is bad on this one as the budget calls for a significant increase in spending, a 4.74% increase in the amount to be raised by taxation – despite meeting the tax cap – resulting in a 2.51% tax rate increase); and where the debt service keeps increasing as well)

Following town government that lives within its means

A modern police headquarters

(12 years in the making, millions of dollars wasted in the process and a building many consider ugly and poorly constructed)

Republican mailers

It’s time for a change in the Town of Lancaster – fight against higher property taxes, town mismanagement, and to improve local services

(And no language that indicates what changes need to be made; no comments or appearance at the budget hearing challenging the budget; what local services need approving and/or plans to accomplish change)

Individual candidate mailer(s)

Incumbent Ronald Ruffino – stating myriad reasons for consideration

Comment

Hopefully, the candidates are presenting a message when walking door-to-door that addresses issues that impact the voter, like:

• The budget and fiscal responsibility – 4 new town hires

• The master plan review; zoning (rezones and rezones of rezones that adversely impacted adjoining residential development's quality of life and property values)

• Flooding & drainage issues resulting from the indiscriminate destruction and/or filling in of wetlands

• Discontinuance of sprawl (dumb growth policies) that favored developer best interests over that of the residents’ – uncontrolled growth resulting in all the righteous complaints concerning traffic, traffic safety issues and overburdened roads – and will only get worse with more development

• The opioid issue in Lancaster where even the Town Supervisor admits “we have a serious problem”. No candidate has touched on this issue; most likely because what happens in Lancaster stays in Lancaster. There should be a report that indicates the number of substance abuse instances in town and defined by type and outcome. I have been unable to get such information – numbers, not names or personal history.

As a ‘blank’ (unaffiliated registered voter) I receive but a few campaign mailers. In reviewing the mailers posted on Speakup, with the exception of Mr. Ruffino’s, “Where’s the beef”?

I didn't notice any of the republican candidates at the 2nd master plan meeting. If any of them were there, please correct me.
    I feel if someone campaigns on 'CHANGE', there was an opportunity to present their ideas regarding the master plan's future.

Georgia L Schlager

I didn't notice any of the republican candidates at the 2nd master plan meeting. If any of them were there, please correct me.
    I feel if someone campaigns on 'CHANGE', there was an opportunity to present their ideas regarding the master plan's future.
    There is so much that can be addressed and all we hear from candidates on both sides is silence:

• Why is the current town board delaying appointing the only candidate that has entered her letter of intent and resume in late July and has not been appointed by the board most likely because she is a conservative; and where councilman Ruffino withdrew a resolution to support her because he was told he would not receive a second from any of the other four board members and where one of the council members is a registered Conservative Party member.

• Why has the board twice tabled a resolution to require town employee drug testing? Is it for fear of losing town employee votes in the upcoming election?

• Town employees contributing only 5% to their health care plans – and not until the last year

• Why is the Town Zoning Board of Appeals (ZBA) being left out of master plan review committee when zoning is a major player in the process?

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Chowaniec View Post
    There is so much that can be addressed and all we hear from candidates on both sides is silence:

• Why is the current town board delaying appointing the only candidate that has entered her letter of intent and resume in late July and has not been appointed by the board most likely because she is a conservative; and where councilman Ruffino withdrew a resolution to support her because he was told he would not receive a second from any of the other four board members and where one of the council members is a registered Conservative Party member.

• Why has the board twice tabled a resolution to require town employee drug testing? Is it for fear of losing town employee votes in the upcoming election?

• Town employees contributing only 5% to their health care plans – and not until the last year

• Why is the Town Zoning Board of Appeals (ZBA) being left out of master plan review committee when zoning is a major player in the process?
    What did the Republican campaign mailers say "It's time for a change in the Town of Lancaster?"

In keeping with the "fix-is-in" theme of this Thread, if the out-of-power party remains silent, and is not publicly not challenging the in-power party, there is no significant campaign, no high-profile choice, and there can not, will not, be no change.

I wish all of the Town Council candidates, and the behind-the-scenes power holders well. It does not bode well for the voters, but this campaign seems to serve the power holders purposes very well.

What did the Republican campaign mailers say "It's time for a change in the Town of Lancaster?"

In keeping with the "fix-is-in" theme of this Thread, if the out-of-power party remains silent, and is not publicly not challenging the in-power party, there is no significant campaign, no high-profile choice, and there can not, will not, be no change.

I wish all of the Town Council candidates, and the behind-the-scenes power holders well. It does not bode well for the voters, but this campaign seems to serve the power holders purposes very well.
    It is a strange campaign in that arrangements between the Democratic Party and Republican Party to influence outcome didn’t go exactly as planed. The decision to save select incumbents for re-election worked out in that Democratic Highway Superintendent Dan Amatura and Republican Justice Tony Cervi are running unopposed.

The wrangling for Conservative Party endorsements and illicit petition gathering followed. And following that were further machinations and write-in challenges to gain other minor party endorsements.

After the primary one would believe the endorsed town council candidates were left to their own to achieve victory without any semblance of inter-party influencing. Yet, with only two weeks to go until Election Day, with the exception of Councilman Ruffino, so little is known on what the other candidates stand for hope to change/accomplish.

I would have to agree with many of my cohorts (from all political parties) that at this late stage of the campaign the most deserving candidates for town council are Democratic incumbent Ronald Ruffino and Republican candidate Robert Leary.

Ruffino’s mailers are substantive, his door-to-door campaigning outstanding, he has become a fiscal watchdog and appears to have been ostracized by his own party.

Leary did well in his last attempt, has the best resume and like Ruffino is from the private sector.

It will be interesting to see how Lancaster residents perceive candidate qualifications and need for change in a town with a Democratic Party plurality but where the independent and non-affiliated base is growing – and where issues this year fell to the wayside.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information