Apparently the Lancaster Bee and Buffalo News found the public hearing on the tentative 2018 budget this past Monday uneventful and not worth reporting on. And, there was but one individual who asked questions on the preliminary budget.

For many of the past 18 years that I have attended budget hearings I was the only one who addressed the board. Because of health reasons and myriad others I did not attend. I do appreciate listening to the recording of the meeting and hearing the weak answers provided for four of the five hirings proposed in the budget.

Perhaps the Lancaster Bee, the official news outlet for the town, was remiss in reporting anything on the budget because it believed the bottom line of having a 2.51% increase in tax rate while coming in with a budget meeting the tax cap limit by $727 was a job well done. In comparison to the proposed tax increase of 12% in West Seneca, 2.51% seems acceptable.

This year marks the first year that the Bee did not provide voters with any definitive information regarding the nuts and bolts of how the 2.51% tax rate increase was derived; nor the town in providing a customary cover letter on the budget. Failed to be mentioned that from last year’s budget:

• Spending is going up over $600,000

• Town total revenues increased by only $40,000

• Use of fund balance and reserves increased by $60,000 (unlike Supervisor Coleman declaring the usage was the same)

• While declaring that the budget meets the tax cap limit (1.99%), because of allowed exclusions and additions (town growth factor, IDA’s) the amount to be raised by taxation (tax levy) really increases by 4.74% - first tax increase in the last 5 years

• The debt service continues to increase and is now at $30 million

• The fund balance/restricted reserves are healthier than ever, well exceeding the state’s suggested reserve of two months of town operating costs; more like three months

• While non bargaining town employees are only contributing 8.5% to health care premiums costing over $20,000, union employees are only contributing 5% - generous plans that include vision and dental. The Police Chief ($118,691) and the two Captains ($99,269) contribute a flat $750 to the generous health plan.

• There will be four (4) new hires (Police, Highway, Parks, Code Enforcement) and one new DCO job classification that includes a salary increase and some benefits

These items need mentioning, IMHO, because in reading all the recent candidate campaign mailers from the Democrats and Republicans in another thread, the common theme is fiscal responsibility and spending the taxpayers money wisely.

When considering all of the above, and considering the tentative budget has been out for review for a few weeks already, the claim made in the Democratic mailers on fiscal responsibility/stability is suspect.

As for the Republican Party candidates for the Town Board, their silence on the budget and hirings is deafening. Less than three weeks to Election Day; where’s the beef?