Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: West Seneca residents outraged over proposed 12 percent tax hike

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    West Seneca town board approves 8.6% tax hike

http://www.wgrz.com/news/west-seneca...hike/491549015

Good job saving the town residents 3.4% in property taxes. 12% - 8.6% = 3.4% in savings!

Unregistered
    but that 3.4% next year will be gone when they raise property taxes again next year and likely it will be alot higher then 3.4%.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    West Seneca Town Board passes budget with 8.6 percent increase in tax rate

West Seneca residents have been telling Town Board members for weeks that a proposed 12 percent tax rate increase is not fair, shows poor management and is just too much money to pay.

Town Board members listened Monday night — making changes to the budget that brought the combined tax increase down to 8.6 percent.

But that wasn't enough for the near-capacity crowd in Town Hall.

Shouts of complaint came from residents, who were unhappy they did not get a chance to comment before the $50 million budget was adopted in a 2-1 vote.

http://buffalonews.com/2017/11/13/we...m=more_stories

The Town Board took about $1 million off the tax levy by cutting spending and increasing revenues. Proposals included cutting part-time workers in the Recreation Department, cutting hours at Bicentennial Pool, reducing the repair and maintenance to the library, reducing the allotment for health insurance, decreasing the highway snow removal budget and health insurance costs.
    This about this. They say they are cutting spending yet the budget goes up and you pay more. That doesn't sound like "cutting spending" to me.

And in the end think about this:

"We will open the pool for less hours," Councilman Gene Hart said.
    You are paying more but getting less.

Hart and former Councilman Dale Clark got into a heated debate over who was responsible for raising taxes.
    There really is no need for debate. Incompetence when it came to negotiating labor contracts that basically gave monopolies to small groups of people.

"I believe there are some efficiencies we can do here," Hanley said.
    You can only save so much on road salt, paper clips and stamps.

Mandated cost of payments to the pension system for workers has almost doubled since 2010 to $3 million.
    Self funded 401k's for starters.

Text book example on how to piss off tax payers....

1) Give yourself and co-worker friends a pay raise

2) Spend $14mil of tax payers money on a pet project without letting them have a chance to vote on the idea.

3) Raise taxes while publicaly refusing to give back your pay raise that contributed to the problem.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    That is what happens with monopolies.

If i wanted to raise taxes 8.6%, I'd float a 12% raise and then settle for 8.6%.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by yaksplat View Post
    If i wanted to raise taxes 8.6%, I'd float a 12% raise and then settle for 8.6%.
    And make yourself look like you did a fine job going down to 8.6%

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by WNYresident View Post
    And make yourself look like you did a fine job going down to 8.6%
    Wait to see you how the high the school taxes are going to go up, NYS said they have a 4 billion defecit, but now it's likely going to be 8 billlion+ defecit according to channel 2, they will have to cut school aid to the school districts and local districts will have to make up for that, also raising the state sales tax and raising taxes & fees on everything from gasoline to DMV charges

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    OR we cut salaries and bene's completely across the board top down.

I hope people in the town have the opportunity to view Hart's statement on WBEN facebook after passing the 8.6 % tax increase. Hart told the crowd the budget was passed so move on, you will have the opportunity at the ballot box in two years to replace this board. I hope he is finally right

WSFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by SOMETHING SMELLS View Post
    I hope people in the town have the opportunity to view Hart's statement on WBEN facebook after passing the 8.ago. 6 % tax increase. Hart told the crowd the budget was passed so move on, you will have the opportunity at the ballot box in two years to replace this board. I hope he is finally right
    I'll predict, all 3 would win in a landslide. One of them won in a blowout, a few days ago.

I'm disappointed, not 1 person asked, what is the plan for 2019? Taxes will go up again in my opinion.

I heard someone are trying to circulate a special election, my understanding, a recall is not a option in NY

Unregistered
    Anywhere else but Erie County, The City's or Town council's would layoff government workers before they even think about raising taxes, Actually they would layoff 1/2 of their police dept before they would raise property taxes and with WNY's Horrrific economy has been for decades, no one ever gets layoff, NEVER, Let alone raise taxes every year to pay government workers & teacher yearly raises that already the highest paid in the country. Cheektowaga populations was 110,000 in the 80's. it's now 70,000, Did the PD downsize since the town lost 40,000 residents ?

Quote Originally Posted by WNYresident View Post
    OR we cut salaries and bene's completely across the board top down.
    Res, your mailbox for pms is full

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    try it now...

Quote Originally Posted by jennifer7 View Post
    Anywhere else but Erie County, The City's or Town council's would layoff government workers before they even think about raising taxes, Actually they would layoff 1/2 of their police dept before they would raise property taxes and with WNY's Horrrific economy has been for decades, no one ever gets layoff, NEVER, Let alone raise taxes every year to pay government workers & teacher yearly raises that already the highest paid in the country. Cheektowaga populations was 110,000 in the 80's. it's now 70,000, Did the PD downsize since the town lost 40,000 residents ?
    Your exaggerating the condition of the economy here, it is not HORRIBLE, people are spending, buying houses and cars, going out for dinner, taking vacations etc. also the population loss in Cheektowaga is 25K-30k from approx 100,000 in 1990 to around 75K in 2010 (census data) and probably still dropping.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information