Thread: Are two board members not following the standard of conduct?

Tony Fracasso - Admin

Are two board members not following the standard of conduct?

Contact the Cheektowaga Board of Ethics.

Also see this https://www.ecode360.com/8755639

§ 18-3
    Standards of conduct.
    Every officer or employee of the Town of Cheektowaga shall be subject to and abide by the following standards of conduct:
    A.
    Gifts. He shall not directly or indirectly solicit any gift or accept or receive any gift having a value of $25 or more, whether in the form of money, services, loan, travel, entertainment, hospitality, thing or promise or any other form under circumstances in which it could reasonably be inferred that the gift was intended to influence him or could reasonably be expected to influence him in the performance of his official duties or was intended as a reward for any official action on his part.
    Free rent (in kind) seems to go against rule 18-3...

Brian isn't a board member so I suppose the rule doesn't apply to him. On the other hand Tim and Jim currently are.

So Benderson gives the Cheektowaga Democratic Party free rent for yes votes when it comes to their zoning issues and variances?

If I was Supervisor not just at a work session but at a public board meeting. Some explaining to do. This is not in the best interest of us property owners.

Quote Originally Posted by WNYresident View Post
    Free rent (in kind) seems to go against rule 18-3...

Brian isn't a board member so I suppose the rule doesn't apply to him. On the other hand Tim and Jim currently are.

So Benderson gives the Cheektowaga Democratic Party free rent for yes votes when it comes to their zoning issues and variances?

If I was Supervisor not just at a work session but at a public board meeting. Some explaining to do. This is not in the best interest of us property owners.

What's the difference if the contractor or vendor buys 2 tickets to the friends of Timmy fundraiser or friends of whoever parties that are held?

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    What would the cost of the rental space be versus a couple of tickets? Are utilities also being included?

I'm just looking at this in the best interest of the residential property owners.

Anyone here understand how campaigns are financed. Say Benderson does give rent to the Dem party as a donation. How is that any different the millionaire property owner giving max donation to a candidate?

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    What is the maximum a business can contribute to a town board member per year?

Has Benderson been donating space each election round? If so is that reported as an in kind donation? I don't know so i'm asking.

Most businesses in Cheektowaga do not financially benefit as much as Benderson does as a developer in Town. He needs zoning changes and approvals in order to conduct business.

Bankrolling the local political party who controls the town board in my opinion is a conflict of interest through the eyes of as a property owner.

When a business donates the maximum to a candidate who will try to lower taxes all businesses benefit from that. When a business depends on "yes" votes to move something forward that benefits only that one business is where the conflict comes up.

I totally respect benderson and how they want to have the town board in their pocket. I get that.

Originally posted by WNYresident:
    What is the maximum a business can contribute to a town board member per year?
    Corporation -$5,000
    http://www.elections.erie.gov/campai...bution-limits/

Georgia L Schlager

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Quite a bit. So between the in kind donation and monetary donations think it is more than 5k?

You only learn if you ask questions.

If its an in kind contribution to the Democratic Party committee in Cheektowaga its not directly tied to any candidate.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    So then I guess any candidate/elected official of that local political party should not be allowed to vote on items regarding Benderson.

We don't any possibility of a conflict of interest, do we?

Quote Originally Posted by WNYresident View Post
    So then I guess any candidate/elected official of that local political party should not be allowed to vote on items regarding Benderson.

We don't any possibility of a conflict of interest, do we?
    It's perfectly legal actually. So yeah isn't it great! Corporations are people too, just ask those involved with the Citizens United decision that made campaign contributions out of control.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Might be legal but where do people draw the line on what is ethical or not?

If I was on the board I would make a public statement that I believe it's a conflict of interest. Would request those involved not to vote on anything that involved that business. Just the appearance of the situation seems wrong.

If a business wants to donate 1000000 bucks no biggie as long as that business doesn't have direct business with the board. IE: Things that need to be voted on in order to move development along.

What is the address?

Thread Information