Thread: Amherst tables decision on hotel at Northtown Center

Amherst tables decision on hotel at Northtown Center

Are there plenty of hotels serving visitors to the Northtown Center in Amherst?

Or not enough?

That was the central question before the Amherst Town Board on Monday -- as debate continued on whether to rezone three acres at the ice rink complex so a developer can build a four-story, 105-room Hampton by Hilton hotel.

Michele Marconi, the first of six speakers during a public hearing, said a "quick Google search" reveals dozens of hotels in close proximity and a short driving distance from the complex, which frequently hosts regional and national hockey tournaments.

"There is clearly no lack of hotel capacity in this area," she said.

But the proposal also has supporters, particularly in the ice hockey community.

Norm Page, sled hockey representative to USA Hockey and the only speaker in favor of the project, told the Town Board a hotel at Northtown Center would be convenient for skaters with disabilities who are using one of the center's three adaptive rinks.

"To have this hotel gives us the access these kids deserve," he said.

The Town Board unanimously agreed to hold off on making a decision until Oct. 30.

Full Story

Michele Marconi is a pissed off housewife who is still upset a hotel was built in her backyard. That is what this is about. I wish someone would have countered her by saying the hotels are typical of having a major research university in the area. She went on to say "This is neither a good idea nor a good deal,"

On this, I disagree. I think the hotel is a great idea. There is no doubt that the hotel would be full. It would also elevate the hockey complex.

What's up for debate is if the deal is good. That I am curious as to what others think.

Quote Originally Posted by leftWNYbecauseofBS View Post
    Michele Marconi is a pissed off housewife who is still upset a hotel was built in her backyard. That is what this is about. I wish someone would have countered her by saying the hotels are typical of having a major research university in the area. She went on to say "This is neither a good idea nor a good deal,"

On this, I disagree. I think the hotel is a great idea. There is no doubt that the hotel would be full. It would also elevate the hockey complex.

What's up for debate is if the deal is good. That I am curious as to what others think.
    Anytime you can have a hotel in the immediate vicinity of an attraction or complex, its a win for people. How often do you (the royal you) travel for work and say, "Gee I'd like to stay at a hotel 5 miles from my office instead of the one within walking distance."

Especially when you are lugging hockey equipment..

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
    Anytime you can have a hotel in the immediate vicinity of an attraction or complex, its a win for people. How often do you (the royal you) travel for work and say, "Gee I'd like to stay at a hotel 5 miles from my office instead of the one within walking distance."

Especially when you are lugging hockey equipment..
    Exactly. This is also a 10 minute walk from Alumni Arena and the entire UB North Campus. A strong case can be made that it would become the first hotel option for UB.

That said, I think this makes the land even more valuable and fair to think the town might not be asking for enough.

Thread Information