Thread: Why not Lancaster – transparency to the max

Why not Lancaster – transparency to the max

The following letter appeared in today’s Buffalo News EVERYBODY’S COLUMN:

http://buffalonews.com/2017/10/06/le...-attend-forum/

HTML Code:
    The Town of Amherst is poised to make local history and conduct a candidate forum for all Amherst Town Board candidates who wish to participate. The event will take place on Oct. 12 in the Amherst Town Hall auditorium at 5:30 p.m.

Historic indeed and a direction the Town of Lancaster Town Board should consider taking. The debate that took place in Lancaster’s Oprah Hall between then incumbent Supervisor Robert Giza and challenger Dino Fudoli was also historic. The event was well attended, the debate questions came from the attendees and were screened by the Woman’s League of Voters for relevance and importance; and the candidates cordial and respectful in answering questions and in they’re demeanor. In my mind that debate turned the corner for Fudoli and got him elected.

More importantly, the debate allowed attendees the opportunity to listen to both candidates addressing a perceived issue facing the town at the same time; and/or they’re idea for resolve and reason for their claim for change.

IMHO such format serves the voters better than candidates walking door-to-door often presenting ideas without challenge, claiming feedback from residents that often is manipulated, receiving mailers that often go unread and wind up immediately in the waste bin, or endless robo- calls that are annoying, deceptive and less than fruitful.

Under the Fudoli administration the town entered the technological digital state. It has since been enhanced under the current administration and is being further enhanced in having Town /Planning/Zoning Board meetings recorded. Following Amherst’s candidate forum should be the next step in bring further transparency to the Town of Lancaster.

It would also help to eliminate the unfounded mean-spirited, hateful, rhetoric used by politicos and their support group to demean opposing candidates. The candidates would have to answer for themselves in proving they have the intelligence, commitment, qualifications and worthiness to serve the best interests of the community. Then placing a recording of the debate forum on the town website disallows any voter to claim ignorance of the issues facing the town and candidate responses to such claims.

Such avenue of openness might just make the party hierarchy think twice about endorsing patronage candidates who can’t walk and chew gum at the same time.

BTW - I also agree with the News author that any candidate not attending such forum should be eliminated from consideration.

Lee, I could not agree more with your position. Permit me, if I may, to just add some of my own thoughts and/or observations:

The debate that took place in Lancaster’s Oprah Hall between then incumbent Supervisor Robert Giza and challenger Dino Fudoli was also historic.
    A fair object debate format is an opportunity for a challenger to stand on equal footing with an incumbent. Although Mr. Fudoli was a County Legislator at the time, he had a hard climb against long-time Supervisor and Councilman, Robert Giza, who was far better known to the average Lancaster voter.

That exchange gave the challenger an almost sanitized opportunity to seriously and thoughtfully demonstrate his grasp and command of the issues, and to present his vision, bypassing the sleaze reflected in the contrived narratives arising from the worlds of manipulated facts and the politics of personal destruction.

Debates are always dicey, especially for incumbents, who risk exposing unnoticed or unreported weaknesses and/or controversies.

To be sure, Supervisor Giza deserves credit for his agreement to participate in the 2011 debate .

Equally, former Supervisor Fudoli deserves the exact same credit for 2015.

If my understanding is correct, Supervisor Fudoli, was eager to debate Town Clerk Coleman. It was Mrs. Coleman, enjoying as she did broad name recognition, who, as would a comfortable incumbent, seemingly dodged such a debate, .

questions came from the attendees and were screened by the Woman’s League of Voters for relevance and importance,
    Provided that questions, and the screeners, are not inclined to favor or hurt one candidate at the expense of another, that format seems very acceptable.

More importantly, the debate allowed attendees the opportunity to listen to both candidates addressing a perceived issue facing the town at the same time; and/or they’re idea for resolve and reason for their claim for change.
    And that is the pure, intended purpose of a debate.

Regrettably, too often, debates turn into showboat, gotcha circuses. Therefore, serious, objective safeguards need to be applied in crafting the debate format.

IMHO such format serves the voters better than candidates walking door-to-door often presenting ideas without challenge, claiming feedback from residents that often is manipulated
    Absolutely true.

I would also point out that there is some risk to the candidates in the door-to-door campaign. That is to say, in a day of cell-phone video and the like, a door-to-door, or for that matter, the public gathering environment, may lend itself to opposition mischief and manipulation. That is why I feel that candidates should always accompany themselves with a supporter, who can function as a "buffer" or as a witness.
    Last edited by mark blazejewski; October 7th, 2017 at 04:02 PM.

BTW - I also agree with the News author that any candidate not attending such forum should be eliminated from consideration.
    Not in total agreement here Lee.

With the media obviously in the tank for the left, and recently, seemingly strong indications of the liberal inclinations of The League, it is incumbent upon the political parties, and the candidates, to make sure that the format, moderator and/or panel, and the "random" questions are "fair and balanced," as they say.

Certainly a political party, and/or a candidate, would be remiss, and I dare say reckless, if debate participation were to be engaged without regard to those stated concerns and attendant safeguards.

Originally posted by Lee Chowaniec:
    It has since been enhanced under the current administration and is being further enhanced in having Town /Planning/Zoning Board meetings recorded.
    There is one incumbent board member that we have to give credit for the town posting their meeting audio recordings on the town website. It was Councilman Ruffino who pushed to have their recording system brought up-to-date and set in motion the process of the recording being posted. Prior to this, if a resident wanted a recording of the town board meeting they had to bring a thumb drive and FOIL to have the recording.

Thank you Councilman Ruffino for making the town government processes more transparent to the public.

Georgia L Schlager

Quote Originally Posted by gorja View Post
    There is one incumbent board member that we have to give credit for the town posting their meeting audio recordings on the town website. It was Councilman Ruffino who pushed to have their recording system brought up-to-date and set in motion the process of the recording being posted. Prior to this, if a resident wanted a recording of the town board meeting they had to bring a thumb drive and FOIL to have the recording.

Thank you Councilman Ruffino for making the town government processes more transparent to the public.
    Indeed! Councilman Ruffino should receive recognition for his leadership and effort in getting the meetings audio recorded and posted on the town website.

That does not preclude giving recognition to former Supervisor Fudoli and Highway Superintendent for their initial efforts in taking the town into the digital world and recognition to the current administration in improving the town's website accessibility and information.

Transparency? I have seen many Lancaster residents dirty laundry aired on this page . Why is a current candidates past legal problems not being published by the infamous Gorja? Look at the Lancaster lawyers that settled some of these issues. Put down the roast beef and horseradish and start posting ALL the legal problems as you have done to so many others. Lee your complaining about the chief of police getting a 4% raise is ridiculous as you praise superintendent valley who also gets a 4% raise on his 205,000 yearly salary. Both of these men are over paid and have a golden ticket that they are padding at Lancaster taxpayers expense . Neither care and kick the can of legacy cost down Central avenue. I am voting for the candidate that has many legal issues . Let us be transparent to ALL! Stop cherry picking and publish the facts and history for ALL the readers of speak up wny. Set the example be fair to all!

Greg Sojka;1753182

Transparency? I have seen many Lancaster residents dirty laundry aired on this page .
    And you were no exception when you went after Vallely, the school district’s former Transportation director and the school board; often with mean-spirited, unfounded allegations.

Why is a current candidates past legal problems not being published by the infamous Gorja? Look at the Lancaster lawyers that settled some of these issues. Put down the roast beef and horseradish and start posting ALL the legal problems as you have done to so many others.
    Speaking of transparency, which candidate?

Lee your complaining about the chief of police getting a 4% raise is ridiculous as you praise superintendent valley who also gets a 4% raise on his 205,000 yearly salary. Both of these men are over paid and have a golden ticket that they are padding at Lancaster taxpayers expense . Neither care and kick the can of legacy cost down Central avenue.
    In reviewing the 2018 tentative budget I pointed out that the police chief got a 4% raise while others received 2%, that his health insurance contribution is only a flat $750 per year and that the town as adding a police officer. Those are facts Greg.

Both Gill and Vallely are getting paid according to market value and their perceived worth to the district and community.

I am voting for the candidate that has many legal issues .
    And again I ask: which candidate is that and running for what office?

And why do you want Gorja to expose the legal issues of a candidate that you intend to vote for?

Let us be transparent to ALL! Stop cherry picking and publish the facts and history for ALL the readers of speak up wny. Set the example be fair to all!
    Now here is where you really lose me. As a Republican Party committee member who recently ran for Party Chair and lost, you must be tuned in to the inside information which would allow you to be more forthcoming and transparent and name names. I am not openly supporting any candidate for any local or county position so I have no idea concerning the individual with legal issues you are referring to. But apparently you do but are on a fishing expedition trolling for who knows what.

Knowing of your Republican Party ties, believing you would support a fellow Republican, are you serious in asking someone to expose an illegal matter of consequence to your candidate who you then say you will vote for? Or, are you just pissed you lost the Party Chair election and being vindictive.

Transparency does not appear to be a word in your lexicon. If you are really a RINO, I would suggest someone send this post to County Chair Langworthy for some sort of explanation.

My God, I mean this sincerely:

Why is a current candidates past legal problems not being published by the infamous Gorja?
    The observation highlighted above smacks of wording synonymous with coercion. Under the First Amendment, private citizens have a RIGHT to state an opinion, and/or to disseminate truthful information, but not an obligation to do so.

The exact same standard applies to press freedom. The word used in the First Amendment is "abridging." Simply put, as the press cannot be unduly restrained from publication, equally, it cannot be forced to publish.

Look at the Lancaster lawyers that settled some of these issues
    As goes the First Amendment, so goes the Sixth? The right to counsel is one of our most precious liberties.

Great, two Constitutional guarantees on the critical list.

I am voting for the candidate that has many legal issues.

Three points regarding this comment:

(1) In the first bracketed quote, you refer previously to a candidate with "...PAST legal problems." That comment, taken at face value, suggests that any such problems were litigated and disposed of in such a way as not to negatively impact the candidate's eligibility.

(2) Within the third and last bracketed comment, you speak of a candidate "that HAS many legal issues."

Am I to understand that you are more concerned with some unspecified candidate's PAST, duly litigated, "legal problems," disposition of which apparently did not, and does not, impact that candidate's eligibility, rather than with an apparently different candidate, with CURRENT legal issues, whose litigated impact on eligibility can only be anticipated?

(3) In your world, if Gorja should be compelled to speak to her candidate's vetted past, is it not more important for you to speak to your candidate's present and uncertain future?

Curious, curious, curious. HONESTLY, I'm confused. But I am a "Deplorable," what do I know?
    Last edited by mark blazejewski; October 9th, 2017 at 11:50 AM.

Originally posted by Greg Sojka:
    I have seen many Lancaster residents dirty laundry aired on this page . Why is a current candidates past legal problems not being published by the infamous Gorja?
    If you desperately want earth shattering, lurid details published about your candidate. Why pawn it off on someone else? Publish it yourself.

Georgia L Schlager

Past actions are a good indication of future actions. Gorja you post current and ancient criminal , legal, business ,and financial information on many others and put them down . You are within your rights especially using a make believe name . This thread was about transparency. Why omit the legal problems of your candidate? Do not cherry pick the soft ones , post them all. Lee, I have no insider information,I am just a 50 year resident that is more involved in the community then a key board know it all and town crier at the meetings. The dead trees are now gone by Walmart ,you will see the trailers you whine about to the board at the meetings every year more often. I am glad that several of us on this page attend meetings because it is important and we all wish more Lancaster people were involved and informed.

Greg Sojka

Past actions are a good indication of future actions. Gorja you post current and ancient criminal , legal, business ,and financial information on many others and put them down . You are within your rights especially using a make believe name . This thread was about transparency. Why omit the legal problems of your candidate? Do not cherry pick the soft ones , post them all.
    So, this thread is about transparency and yet you fail to name names or provide any information on what the legal charges are or what they are based on.

Lee, I have no insider information,I am just a 50 year resident that is more involved in the community then a key board know it all and town crier at the meetings. The dead trees are now gone by Walmart ,you will see the trailers you whine about to the board at the meetings every year more often. I am glad that several of us on this page attend meetings because it is important and we all wish more Lancaster people were involved and informed.
    How can you not have inside information when until the recent Republican Party Chair election you were a candidate for that position?

You label me a town crier, keyboard know it all and whiner and yet “wish more people were informed and involved. I do attend meetings, Greg, see you on occasion when election time is at hand, never hear you address the board on anything, and after election time disappear – unless of course you have your hand out to the board looking for a landscaping job.

The Wal-Mart jab was ludicrous in that I have not mentioned Wal-Mart at a board meeting in well over a year. Stay focused; say what you mean and mean what you say.

Lastly, you declare this tread is about transparency. You don’t know the meaning of the word when it comes to the efforts made by the town to establish a website that contains all the information one needs to become informed on what’s happening in the town. Gone are the days when individuals like myself would spend hours making countless trips to Town Hall, the Library, the Police Building and FOIL for information that can now be had on the website. And with meeting recordings coming there is indeed ‘transparency’ to the max. And it all started under former Supervisor Fudoli’s administration and further enhanced under the current administration.

But you have some stick up your ass about something but won’t say about what! I pretty much know where you’re going with your charge, but you can’t say it openly or they will cut off you’re political balls forever!

I am glad that several of us on this page attend meetings because it is important and we all wish more Lancaster people were involved and informed.
    The above comment, regurgitated by so many, is crap. It is a phony, overused, insincere mantra, that superficially serves to portray the elites as welcoming public servants and power holders. But their phony outstretched-hands and open arms, conveniently serve to shield selfish hearts and self-promoting, arrogant souls.

It seems as though when an "average" citizen does become "involved," whether for reasons prompted by the singular world of exigent demands, or the general, but principled universe of community concern, such involvement is met with personal ridicule, characterizations misrepresenting motives, or other strong inferences suggesting retaliation, which would negatively impact the citizen's personal life.

For example, this Speak Up forum, functioning for the purpose of the public's free expression of political, social, economic, and cultural ideas, has devolved into a medium MORE for personal attack against those expressing their ideas and opinions, NOT against the truly impacting government leaders and political power holders.

Posters and commentators are not candidates, significant public figures, or government officials. They are the exact same people, who the power-holding big-mouth elites of both political persuasions, disingenuously urge to "get involved." AGAIN: THAT IS A LINE OF BULLSH***T.

But, beyond the previously mentioned harassment, NOW, a poster is seemingly coerced into playing the role of an unbiased, non-partisan private investigator. What horse sh***t.

Get involved my ass! You all suck!
    Last edited by mark blazejewski; October 10th, 2017 at 07:09 AM.

Thread Information