Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Eastport Commerce rezone petition tabled again

Quote Originally Posted by MaddMatt View Post
    It is not dead in the water as they can continue to lobby both the zoning and town boards for approval/vote. I am meeting with representatives of the property owner this week to hear their side but I have made it clear to them that I believe this property should remain L1 zoned.

Matthew Walter
    Lancaster Town Council
    Yes, Gorga, the current concept before the Planning Board to rezone a portion of Eastport Commerce property for residential development use is dead in the water to the Planning Board for myriad reasons besides just losing developable LI property – and they have recommended to the town board that they by resolution deny rezone approval.

Why the applicant would be lobbying the ZBA is beyond me. As the Planning Board is but a recommending board and where the final decision rests at the town board level any ruling outcome is possible.

The Planning Board has tabled the applicant’s concept plan several times and has given the applicant abundant opportunity to come up with a plan that was acceptable. The applicant failed to do so and so a final decision was rendered to deny rezone.

The applicant’s ‘lobbying’ should fall on deft ears of the ZBA and Town Board members. I was at planning board meetings where the planning board presented serious concerns relative to the quality of life and other best interests of the potential homebuyers.

Lastly, Matt, are they lobbying just you as a town board member or have you become appointed as Town/Planning Board liaison?

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Chowaniec View Post
    Lastly, Matt, are they lobbying just you as a town board member or have you become appointed as Town/Planning Board liaison?
    Lee:

Strictly as a hard working town board member :-)

Matthew Walter
    Lancaster Town Council

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    I didn't read all of this.

Why wouldn't people want more residential homes? They would generate more property taxes. It can not be about sprawl because no one had an issue with that while other subdivisions were being built.

Quote Originally Posted by MaddMatt View Post
    It is not dead in the water as they can continue to lobby both the zoning and town boards for approval/vote. I am meeting with representatives of the property owner this week to hear their side but I have made it clear to them that I believe this property should remain L1 zoned.

Matthew Walter
    Lancaster Town Council
    Thanks Matt for the answer and for wanting the property left as L1.

Georgia L Schlager

Quote Originally Posted by WNYresident View Post

Why wouldn't people want more residential homes? They would generate more property taxes. It can not be about sprawl because no one had an issue with that while other subdivisions were being built.
    Apparently you didn’t read all of this. You appear little informed about this project regarding its history dating back to 2003 where the property was then rezoned to LI and where Uniland alleged it had a major tenant all set to go and with the promise of other businesses interested in following.

The developer got what he wanted in 2003 with the understanding from the town that a major north-south corridor would be build and pass through Gunville Road and connecting to a thruway booth that would be moved from the then and current Williamsville toll booths – a pipedream then that continues to reappear every so often and once again mentioned in the upcoming comprehensive plans – and still a pipedream IMHO.

And no, it is not about sprawl – nor anyone opposing residential development. The town has experienced sprawl like development in the past and where developer best interests and resulting town revenues outweighed homeowner and environmental best interests. Residents were told the property purchased by the developer could be developed as he saw fit – that he had property rights.

Valuable wetlands on the property were segmented, destroyed and/or filled in for developer and town best interest (revenue) and is the leading cause of the town’s current flooding and drainage issues. Water collection ponds were installed to control the on-property flooding and drainage issues and the collected water released at same rate as raw land into the creeks and streams that now overflow more than ever before.

There were myriad and ample reasons given by the Planning Board to deny rezone of an already rezoned parcel of property. What did not show up in the minutes were the impacts to prospective homebuyers – school bus garage directly to the west; commercial development to the south; the proximity of the Lancaster airport across Walden Avenue; traffic and traffic safety issues.

The Town Planning Board asked all the right questions, tabled the project concept for further review several times and got it right. The town board should follow their recommendation to rezone the property.

Apparently you didn’t read all of this. You appear little informed about this project regarding its history dating back to 2003 where the property was then rezoned to LI and where Uniland alleged it had a major tenant all set to go and with the promise of other businesses interested in following.

The developer got what he wanted in 2003 with the understanding from the town that a major north-south corridor would be build and pass through Gunville Road and connecting to a thruway booth that would be moved from the then and current Williamsville toll booths – a pipedream then that continues to reappear every so often and once again mentioned in the upcoming comprehensive plans – and still a pipedream IMHO.

And no, it is not about sprawl – nor anyone opposing residential development. The town has experienced sprawl like development in the past and where developer best interests and resulting town revenues outweighed homeowner and environmental best interests. Residents were told the property purchased by the developer could be developed as he saw fit – that he had property rights.

Valuable wetlands on the property were segmented, destroyed and/or filled in for developer and town best interest (revenue) and is the leading cause of the town’s current flooding and drainage issues. Water collection ponds were installed to control the on-property flooding and drainage issues and the collected water released at same rate as raw land into the creeks and streams that now overflow more than ever before.

There were myriad and ample reasons given by the Planning Board to deny rezone of an already rezoned parcel of property. What did not show up in the minutes were the impacts to prospective homebuyers – school bus garage directly to the west; commercial development to the south; the proximity of the Lancaster airport across Walden Avenue; traffic and traffic safety issues.

The Town Planning Board asked all the right questions, tabled the project concept for further review several times and got it right. The town board should follow their recommendation to rezone the property.
    The last paragraph should read: The Town Planning Board asked all the right questions, tabled the project concept for further review several times and got it right. The town board should follow their recommendation to deny the rezone application.

Quote Originally Posted by WNYresident View Post

IMO, I don't think it is compatible with the surrounding area. LI and residential needs to be in concert with each other. The development in that surrounding area, IMO, is getting congested and convoluted. You have walkable communities, an airport, LI businesses, a bus garage, and residential all bundled up. That signal on Walden and Pavement needs an arrow to direct/divert traffic. That intersection is a nightmare....

=shortstuff;1775289] That signal on Walden and Pavement needs an arrow to direct/divert traffic. That intersection is a nightmare....
    Not to change the subject Shortstuff, but speaking of arrows, try the intersection of Walden and Sheldon. That nightmare will send you screaming madly into the night.

When presenting the minutes of this meeting, I wrote the following:

"Despite several board members expressing their distaste and opposition to the concept proposal and reasons for rezone approval the board tabled the matter to allow the petitioner to regroup and come back with a concept plan that better served the best interests of the community."

I wrote that because there was chaos when the motion to table the project was made, seconded and voted on (?).

The town publication of the Planning Board meeting minutes report the following took place:

Based on the information presented to the Planning Board, a motion was made by Kristin McCracken to table the project pending:

1. Further review of the traffic study and mrket analysis
    2. Additional information regarding the concerns of the concept review*
    Motion seconded by Chair Connelly. Roll call as follows:

Chairman Connelly –Yes
    Rebecca Anderson – No
    Anthony Gorski – No
    Joseph Keefe – Yes
    Lawrence Korrzeniewski – Yes
    Krisiti McCracken – Yes
    Melvin Szymanski – Yes
    The motion was carried. Member Gorski stated that he is tired of looking at this and there is so much he doesn’t like. He is not in favor of the rezone based on the site plan presented.**

*Rezone concerns included:

Town property thru patio home development
    Location of roadway will need to be reworked
    School bus garage to the west of the parcel with idling buses
    Configuration of lots-new concept
    Snow removal concerns
    Interconnectivity of the industrial to the residential area
    Buffer for the residential area
    360’of roadway to be installed since Eastport was approved
    Proximity to the airport
    SEQR needs to be resubmitted

**Concept opposition

Mr. Gorski was not the only one commenting on the dislike of the rezone and development concept; at least 4 other board members voiced similar comments. I was surprised the petitioner was given another opportunity to come back.

Comment

How fortunate Lancaster residents are to have Planning Board meeting dates and agendas posted on the town website; more fortunate to have the meeting minutes also posted on the website in the communications. This information is not reported by the media. This rezone application should have been denied. Uniland created its own hardship when it bought the property in 2002 with the speculation that the north-south corridor was to be built. This project is not in the best interest of the community.

BTW – Why is there no Buffalo News reporter covering the town? Nothing newsworthy I guess now that former Republican Supervisor Fudoli has been ousted. No issues to speak of and a budget that meets the tax cap. All is well if you read the Lancaster Bee; and must be well as there is no Buffalo News report.
    Why is there a public hearing on May 21 in regards to rezoning this same property to multi-family?
    I thought this was dead.

Georgia L Schlager

Quote Originally Posted by gorja View Post
    Why is there a public hearing on May 21 in regards to rezoning this same property to multi-family?
    I thought this was dead.
    The Lancaster Planning Board (PB) for myriad reasons did recommend to the Lancaster Town Board (TB) that the Eastport Commerce Center property owners petition to rezone 63.03 acres of land (north side of the 120 acres of property) located at 4106 Walden Avenue from LI (Light Industrial) to MFR3 (Multiple Family Residential) for the purpose of building 73 Single Family and 98 Patio Homes be denied.

It is now up to the TB by resolution to either accept the PB’s recommendation or find reason to grant the rezone. I believe a public hearing on the matter is part of the process before the TB can render its formal decision.

This project is not in the best interest of the community and the PB gave considerable and critical reasons why. It is imperative that there are residents at the hearing who speak out in support of having the rezone denied by the TB. There is no question that the applicant’s hired guns will feed the TB the same BS they fed to the PB. They will try to make **** smell like roses!

No one on the PB favored the rezoning of the LI land to MFR-3. I can’t find any legal reason that would stop the TB for denying this rezone as well. Am I wrong councilman Walter?

The Town of Lancaster’s Town Board held a public hearing Monday evening concerning the Eastport Commerce’s owner (Uniland Development) petition to rezone 63.03 acres of land (north side of the 120 acres of property) located at 4106 Walden Avenue from LI (Light Industrial) to MFR3 (Multiple Family Residential) for the purpose of building 73 Single Family and 98 Patio Homes. .

The Lancaster Planning Board (PB), after several concept submittals from the petitioner, and for myriad reasons (stated in previous Speakup posts), did recommend to the Lancaster Town Board (TB) that they deny the rezone petition.

At Monday’s public hearing the developers’ representatives presented some of the same reasons they presented to the Planning Board as to why the town should approve the rezone. While presenting a chronological history of the property from its initial purchase in 2002 to the present day there has been no client interest – because the assured north-south corridor that would take traffic to the I-90 never materialized. So in so many words, Uniland bought a pig-in-a poke.

Going nowhere with the property Uniland’s attorney sells the concept to the town board that by its market search the town has enough LI land to build on for the next 200 years and that the best interest of the town would be better served if it approved the rezone to allow for patio and single-family home development and receive $6.2 in tax revenue (down from the $9 million promised at the Planning Board). The Planning Board negated that argument by claiming the revenue would just cover the expenses to provide services to the development.

It is but another example of the tail wagging the dog - where once again a developer gets a rezone and can’t do anything with the property after all kinds of promises to develop it, then petitions to get another rezone (a rezone of a rezone) to bail his ass out, while all the time telling the town it is in their best interest to once again bail his sorry ass out. They dangle the revenue carrot to entice the town board for approval!

If the town board caves to the developer’s spiel this is but an example of an editorial in today’s Buffalo News:

Self-centered developers do not make good neighbors

http://buffalonews.com/2018/05/22/le...ood-neighbors/

They have convinced themselves that we need whatever plans they are trying to sell to our politicians, some of whom are their gutless enablers, allowing them to break rules, established for the common good.

Lastly, it was nice to see Supervisor Coleman bring the board members back to focus on the concept at hand – not to make statements like: “What I would like to see is…

The applicant's (Uniland) petition to rezone a portion of the Eastport Commerce property from Light Industrial to Multiple Family Residential is up for resolution (#15) denial at Monday evening's town board meeting - denied for reasons in the attached written decision incorporated therein.

Kudos to the town on this decision!

The Uniland Eastport Commerce rezone application was denied unanimously by the Planning Board (PB) members last night with the narrative that the ‘new’ concept plan has not changed substantially enough to warrant reversal of the board’s recommendation for rezone denial to the Town Board (TB).

The change in removing access roads from the site onto Pleasant View Drive was but one troubling feature of the concept plan that led to the board’s determination to recommend its denial.

The PB listed the following findings before casting its unanimous denial recommendation:

• Not giving up shovel-ready industrial land
    • Do not like the residential/industrial mix concept
    • School bus garage immediately west of the project and its impacts
    • Town right-of-way on project property
    • Does not benefit the town as a whole
    • Not consistent with new or old Comprehension Plan
    • Questionable layout of patio home development

Hoorah, PB! Perhaps now the TB can do its job and likewise deny this concept plan and not give Uniland another bite at the apple.

Uniland did an end run to get the town board to withdraw a resolution to deny the rezone in August. An11th hour plea came to the town board in the form of a ‘new’ concept plan. The petitioner gave up going to the Planning Board as they had done since December of 2017. The town board caved and sent it back to the planning board for further review. That process should never have occurred.

For the life of me, I can't fathom how Mr Palumbo could have any hope in getting an approval by just changing the flow of traffic off of Pleasantview with all these reasons that Lee posted for denial.
    Posted by Lee Chowaniec:
    The PB listed the following findings before casting its unanimous denial recommendation:

• Not giving up shovel-ready industrial land
    • Do not like the residential/industrial mix concept
    • School bus garage immediately west of the project and its impacts
    • Town right-of-way on project property
    • Does not benefit the town as a whole
    • Not consistent with new or old Comprehension Plan
    • Questionable layout of patio home development
    GREAT job planning board

Georgia L Schlager

It’s time for all the developers to do what Acquest Development did in Amherst when the fool, Satish Mohan, and his lap dog, Debbie Bucki, screwed them over. Sue for $$$ damages. A couple of multi million dollar verdicts will be hard to sell to most taxpayers since they’re the ones who’ll be picking up the tab for this crap. Lee, I went back and read the idiotic letter to the editor you highlighted. I gotta a tell you the person “from the south” complaining about development must be a lonely voice. Early last month I spent an extended business trip through several southern states. We celebrate like its V-E Day up here when we get one new taxpayer funded building to crow about. Like the new medical school which is a “game changer”; as if moving an existing facility 25 blocks somehow creates something new.(But it does have a really nice atrium...a point the shoe shine rag makes ad nauseum). These cities are growing by leaps and bounds, with new commercial and residential developments springing up everywhere. If you’re not growing you’re dying and this area has been dying for 1/2 a century. A useless hulk like the Statler sits on prime CBD land, collecting less in property tax revenue than many people pay on their homes, while the “planners” and “preservationists” think great thoughts about “re-purposing” it. Get the hell out of the way and let people with real ideas go to work!!
    Last edited by grump; September 7th, 2018 at 06:57 AM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information