Thread: Is it time once again to revisit the size of our Town Board?

Is it time once again to revisit the size of our Town Board?

Evans is revisiting this question, Hamburg went back to 4 Council Members and a Supervisor in 2015, and it has been 5 years since we revisited it: http://buffalonews.com/2017/09/25/ev...ng-town-board/
    “We in America do not have government by the majority. We have government by the majority who participate.” ― Thomas Jefferson

If you do revisit it, and you should, expect the Phoenix-like reappearance of tax scofflaw Kevin Gaughan.

I was thinking the same thing until I read the article I linked above, he may have bigger fish to fry:

Activist Kevin Gaughan, who championed the downsizing movement in Erie County, said he is busy with his efforts to relocate the golf course in South Park and redevelop the Delaware Park golf course, and cannot become involved in the Evans vote this year.

"At the heart of my movement is the idea that citizens should make these decisions. Any time residents have this opportunity, as they have in Evans, I think is a healthy occasion," Gaughan said. "Given the fragile state of the town's fiances, I'm confident Evans voters will make the right decision."
    “We in America do not have government by the majority. We have government by the majority who participate.” ― Thomas Jefferson

WSFirst
    http://codes.findlaw.com/ny/public-o...o-sect-36.html

New York Consolidated Laws, Public Officers Law - PBO § 36. Removal of town, village, improvement district or fire district officer by court

Any knowledge on this subject?

Quote Originally Posted by WSFirst View Post
    http://codes.findlaw.com/ny/public-o...o-sect-36.html

New York Consolidated Laws, Public Officers Law - PBO § 36. Removal of town, village, improvement district or fire district officer by court

Any knowledge on this subject?
    Yes, this is the section I used to commence proceedings against Piotrowski and Bielecki.

WSFirst, it’s a tough row to hoe. Short of obvious criminal conduct the courts probably won’t intervene. If it’s “mere” incompetence, even of the grossest kind, the courts are likely to think that’s what elections are for. And I doubt the courts will countenance the use of sec 36 just because a rumdum continues to get re-elected. If that were the case many would be removed on a regular basis.

WSFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by dtwarren View Post
    Yes, this is the section I used to commence proceedings against Piotrowski and Bielecki.
    Could this be applied in this case? NY doesn't have a recall

Quote Originally Posted by WSFirst View Post
    Could this be applied in this case? NY doesn't have a recall
    Not with what I have evidence of as of this point. I need something more substantial than they are a bunch of idiots. They may be idiots but we elected those idiots, we get the government we deserve.

Something may develop down the road but unless it does no.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by grump View Post
    WSFirst, it’s a tough row to hoe. Short of obvious criminal conduct the courts probably won’t intervene. If it’s “mere” incompetence, even of the grossest kind, the courts are likely to think that’s what elections are for. And I doubt the courts will countenance the use of sec 36 just because a rumdum continues to get re-elected. If that were the case many would be removed on a regular basis.

Sometimes I wonder if the political parties can be held liable when they give us a candidate that clearly works against the communities best interest. Every property owner can be into financial hardship based on the the decisions an elected official makes. Especially when the decisions adversely effect property taxes. Don't you think if they were liable for the product they push they would pick their endorsements more wisely?

WSFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by dtwarren View Post
    Not with what I have evidence of as of this point. I need something more substantial than they are a bunch of idiots. They may be idiots but we elected those idiots, we get the government we deserve.

Something may develop down the road but unless it does no.
    Thought so. NYS laws are tough to navigate and vague IMO.

How do you feel about the possibility we might need to raise taxes another double digit % if the expenses exceed $75 million by 2019 which is the trend?

What is the plan for 2019 or 2020 budgets? The fixed costs will go up

Thread Information